Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2020, 21:50   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29
Aloha from Zane & Southern Cross

Hello all,

My name is Zane. I'm 23 in Hawaii and got a 1962 Columbia 29 (aparently hull number 2! If anyone can help confirm that would be really cool) for $1!

I have been living on her and learning to sail the last few months with aspirations of making a trip around the world. I guess this is just a hello and if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear it!

I have family in Guam and an open invite to stay as long as I want, I was thinking about saling through the Marshall islands then down to Australia to start. From what I have read sounds like not many people do that..

Would it be better to just make a trip around the world to go next door? I planned to go as many places as I could so setting it as an end destination could be just as fun I guess.. Just thinking on paper here!

Mahalos

Zane
zanadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 00:03   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Aloha from Zane & Southern Cross

Aloha Zane,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure that your hopes are to sail your fiberglass corner of the world to fulfill your aspirations. At your age, I could not have pulled that off, knowing what I know now about the reality of what it takes to be responsible for my own support. And having seen people who don't have their resources in order get trapped by that, I can tell you that depending on others for your support is not a good plan.

I don't know where in Hawaii you are, but there are plenty of examples of desperate people in Honolulu.

What I would suggest is that you get some experience under your keel, enough to make yourself valuable crew on someone else's boat. You can get that experience by joining race crew, and make some valuable contacts, and learn the right questions to ask.

I am headed back to Hawaii after bring gone for 2 years. My contract has been cut short by the pandemic. When I get there, I will be trapped. I won't be able to sail off as I had planned. Point is, nobody knows tomorrow. Still, I am not giving up my plan, even though what was normal may never be normal again.

Laki maika'i

Don
SV Minggat
Old 30-05-2020, 00:21   #3

Thanks Don,

I have already met some great people who are taking me out and helping me learn, been gifted some amazing books, and just got an el toro to help speed up the learning curve!

I don't plan on leaving the islands any time soon, I ended up here after high school and figure that it is a great place to learn. A trial by fire kind of thing, if I can really put in a year or two I think I'd be well prepared leave the islands.

Dm me and maybe we can meet up for coffee or a sail when you get back!
Old 31-05-2020, 03:00   #4

Boat: Lancer 36

Zane, where are you docked/anchored? My wife and I are both long time hawaii residents, but have been south for the last 7 years....we are planning to return this year if possible, and have some questions about fees, regulations, etc.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 18:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
Zane, where are you docked/anchored? My wife and I are both long time hawaii residents, but have been south for the last 7 years....we are planning to return this year if possible, and have some questions about fees, regulations, etc.

Ask away!
Old 01-06-2020, 19:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As far as practice, sailing the channels West to East will give you all the hands on sailing experience you'll need, especially if you cross the Molokai Channel with gail warnings. Glad I was young and stupid when I did that. You've got a really great old classic in that Columbia 29. Inspect the chainplates, rigging and rudder hinges and she should take you anywhere.

If the virus ever lets us get back to our own in Kona and we're home will buy you a beer at the harbor.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 20:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
As far as practice, sailing the channels West to East will give you all the hands on sailing experience you'll need, especially if you cross the Molokai Channel with gail warnings. Glad I was young and stupid when I did that. You've got a really great old classic in that Columbia 29. Inspect the chainplates, rigging and rudder hinges and she should take you anywhere.

If the virus ever lets us get back to our own in Kona and we're home will buy you a beer at the harbor.

Thanks, I'd love to take you up on that!

It has already been a bit of trial by fire. My tiller broke yesterday while out sailing past the head of diamond head in 25 knot winds (admittedly wasn't the best choice ever, but wanted to see how she handles higher winds and I guess I found out lol), one of the bow lines got left in the water too, and I had to cut it out of the prop shaft.

I work at the farmers markets and was talking to a woodworker who lives up north about making me one already, she creaked last time I went out and it made me worrysome. Glad I chatted with him earlier and he is making me a new one sometime this week!