Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 19:15   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Almost ready to go, this is scary!

All the house stuff is gone and the house is gone. All the racecar stuff is gone and the racecar is gone. Almost all of the auto shop stuff is gone and the auto shop is almost gone. By the middle of next week we'll be out of here and relocated to the boatyard until we get the boat safe and comfortable and seaworthy and then it will be time to start cruising.
I don't know if we have enough money to pull this off. I have no real income after this week. I've never sailed this boat. We have a LOT of work to do yet. I've never done an overnighter at sea. I don't even know if I'm going to like this but BLANK it, we're going, and soon.
At least the boat is paid off and we'll be plenty warm soon, I'm absolutely sick of wearing a jacket every single day since October.
Old 22-06-2011, 19:27   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Almost ready to go, this is scary!

Fair winds and following seas to you on your adventure, sww914... you have a strong boat, you've cut the land cord and if you head sw by w, you'll be warm in no time... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:37   #3

Boat: westerly centaur 26

i cruise for short periods of time in florida on my 26 footer usually 2 months then come home to work. i find when i first move on the boat i have a time of adjustment where i get nervous and question this lifestyle. once this goes away i do not want to come home and only do so because of my poor wife. i dip on her for up to two months and feel guilty eating lobster and living in paradise. this keeps me from getting far. you have the whole world as your playground remember this. when bad things happen on the boat remember bad things happen on land too. 2 things that always get me on the boat weather and anchoring. always watch your back with the weather. ground tackle, once you are set have a plan in mind if you drag. if you can buy backup anchor and chain and have them ready to deploy in a moments notice. best of luck to you and fair winds
dave c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:38   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I hear you sww914. My first overnighter at sea is the next leg of my first coastal cruise.

I barely have grocery money. But I work on someone's wiring everywhere I go.

Don't know where I'll find dockage next, don't care, don't have money for it either.

I'm about a year ahead of you, but just put the marina behind me about a month ago.

It's daunting, challenging, exhilarating, and yes, a little scary.

But I'm loving it.

edit,..... yep, the weather and anchoring occupy an inordinate amount my time. Passageweather.com, wunderground's wundermap, gribs in PolarView, finger in the wind etc.

I've already been caught lacking once, the haze was blocking the view of the storm. Batteries needed a charge so I didn't do my due diligence at dusk one day and go online for a view at the Nexrad.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:40   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

FREEDOM!!!
Old 22-06-2011, 19:40   #6

Zeehag has been an inspiration to us and the Bumfuzzles as well.
You see, I sail well but I can't yet navigate well. My wife can navigate and has lots of heavy weather experience in the Coast Guard but she can't sail much, she likes the noisy stink pots. We'll be fine.
Old 22-06-2011, 19:47   #7

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
All the house stuff is gone and the house is gone. All the racecar stuff is gone and the racecar is gone. Almost all of the auto shop stuff is gone and the auto shop is almost gone. By the middle of next week we'll be out of here and relocated to the boatyard until we get the boat safe and comfortable and seaworthy and then it will be time to start cruising.
I don't know if we have enough money to pull this off. I have no real income after this week. I've never sailed this boat. We have a LOT of work to do yet. I've never done an overnighter at sea. I don't even know if I'm going to like this but BLANK it, we're going, and soon.
At least the boat is paid off and we'll be plenty warm soon, I'm absolutely sick of wearing a jacket every single day since October.
We've done the very same thing. Be floating next Wed the 30th. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:58   #8

Boat: Prout 46

Several years ago my wife and I bought a 46 foot monohull. We had never sailed and had never owned a boat before. We moved aboard and soon we were cruising the Caribbean. My advice? Don't stop.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 20:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull

Very nice ! I'm doing it too, just got rid of the house, trying to fit all our personal crap on a 365 79' Pearson . Sold my F250 now were down to her little S-40, which is packed to the roof! But were going , scary or not my friend. See you in the pretty water !
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 05:12   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Did the same thing 20 yrs ago. A mechanic has some of the best oppurtunities to make money along the way. Especially if you know refridgeration too. A little 110 mig welder is a great source of income too.

With your spirit, the scary part is not leaving. Sea sickness was my enemy, but it lasted for 2 days only. You'll be just fine..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:53   #11

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Time to go is now, as many are doing as we read this. Good luck to you and your wife on your first sea voyages. Get south and warm. Then you can give away all your warm sweaters and long pants. Hold that, cut the legs off your pants and you will have more room for bathing suits and T-shirts. Have a great life, you will ennjoy it.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:19   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

I envy you
Exactly one year to go before retiring for good and start cruising!!
Our beloved Dayone is taking shape and we are spending a lot in completing , renewing equipment.
We go out whenever we can and are getting quite familiar with her.
But I've never been so glad to spend money.. and the Admiral is happy also
Cannot wait!!
Old 23-06-2011, 08:07   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I don't know if we have enough money to pull this off. .
Then Stop paying out for crap for your boat. Just stop!

Just chuck your clothes onboard, chuck the wife aboard; chuck some beer aboard (and maybe some water for the Missus to drink) and start heading slowly and gently away.

if you stay at the boatyard/dock etc you will spend all the money in the kitty. But I can guarantee you that its all cash you didn't need to spend (I hope your boat is actually assembled! My advice might sink you!)

Anything that you do actually need for the boat you can pick up along the way once you have spent a few months out there... then you'll know if you need it.

You both sound like you have complimentary skills and all the knowledge you need. So you know you're just gunna be fine

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:24   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what mark and all sed-- just GET HERE--i will have em save ye a slip for rest of hurrycame season and we can get fishies and bbq and stuff...LOl.... just GO ye will be fine--just avoid the last storm before hot of summer-- we will have bad storms sept-oct-- so get here and hunker down and yer already out..LOL
besides i wanna meet ye--i prolly already know ye from racing...LOL... reunions are fun when ye have different things being done since last time of meeting.....
stuff is cheaper here than there---- you would be soooo surprised!!! so just GET HERE!!!!!
do BRNG YOUR DOCKLINES AND SOME LOTS OF FIREHOSE....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:41   #15

I have to get the engine in before I float it and I really want to fix a couple of stupid rigging items up at the top of the mast and replace the 10 year old undersized halyards. Besides that it's just recharge the refrigerator, get an outboard for the dink and a couple of solar panels, make sure it's propped right, and go. I'll probably fix the radar and I'll certainly fix a couple of messy seacocks too. Nothing frivilous except the frige. I am not doing any brightwork! That will go better under the Mexican sun, won't it? Painting the peeling cabintop? That sounds like a good job for La Paz. Moving to mid-boom sheeting? that will be nice in say, Panama or Costa Rica. SSB? That sounds like a great Caribbean project or maybe the keys. I'll space it all out nicely around the world!