Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 08:51   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Almost ready to go, this is scary!

find an ouboard in ensenada for cheap. ask juan lu at juanitos botes. he is gooood. dont worry about radar repair--is a good dood in ensenada who is cheap and gooood-- askk juan lu-- the simrad guy is smart. dont worry about fridge-- can be done in mexico with real freon..LOL....do a lot over here inmazatlan soi can have company.. youwill recognize my by my non flying burgee and random disrepair look..ye may decide the fridge is important by mazATLan..... i have been giving that some semi serious thought about thinking about......brightwirk?? sea water and oil..LOl takes 6 hours on my boat every year..solar panels--buy used. regulator--now that can be a problem.......lol...bring tarps--plastic, canvas-- just bring em and make sure they will fit allowing solar panels to also have sun....midboom sheeting??/ just add a prevention line-- is cheep--just buy a lot of remnant rope. usable for everything from preventers to tying up bad crew to tethering in a storm and whatever. tying the sail tight to boom for storm season-- you may find new uses for ropes and lines... bring a throw net and fishing gear and DO get a mexico fishing license for every individual onboard. there are good fishies in mexican waters. yummmmmmmy ones.
so , when do i look for ye????
oh yes--if the seacocks only LOOK funky, save em for here-- they have em and is done cheaper than there, unless ye go to anacapa bellport and tell the dood driving the travellift(mark) that i sent ye....he is my bestest friend in life--also tell him i cant call as my fone not work for there.....do not go to baja naval--is a ripoff, actually. whenye stop in ensenada, goto boes juanitos. they rock--is a rickety looking marina but very safe and good folks. tell em i sent ye and ask for juan lu.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:10   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'm talking about finishing serious boat sinking and rig losing problems first and waiting on the pretty stuff and ALL of the "would be nice" stuff until I'm someplace nicer later. For instance, I must have the roller furling working and I must have halyards that won't break and I must have seacocks that keep the water out. Those aren't negotiable. It's too far from here to Mexico to not have an outboard for when we anchor, we plan to cruise the Channel Islands until after hurricane season. It would be nice to have the frige working but not necessary but that's at the top of the would be nice list, we love to cook. The brightwork, hell, nice brightwork will just get you robbed faster.
Old 23-06-2011, 09:16   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cant anchor in ensenada anyway--outboards are cheap there....your attitude on brightwork is same as mine-- so oil after seawater is great....wont NEED fridge until hot weather--like here---oooooohhh is warm...LOL....do the seacocks leak?? do they work?? sray em with stuff to make em work long enough to change em out here..or go to mark in bellport, anacapa. for real....he is good soul and is my bestest friend...will help ye a lot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:21   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Thousands have dreamed doing it, but never will...
You're doing it...
Scary ?
I was terrified more than 30 years ago when I first pushed out a 30' boat from its berth to singlehandle it for the first time.
Terrified when I first anchored for the night in a deserted cove
Terrified the first time the wind went over 30 knots
Did not sleep too well (more recently) before leaving Spain towards the Azores without a crew...
Never rush, do things deliberately, calmly, even slowly, take your time and a second and a third look at options, routes, anchorages...
Never feel you HAVE to do it because others do, reef very early, never cut corners in any sense of that phrase
and you'll enjoy sailing for the rest of your life...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote