Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2016, 10:29   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Airplanes to sailboats

Nav transferred well, but flying well means keeping up skills, and I couldn't do that and build/own a boat as well. I'd flown with too many private pilots who only flew when they needed to go somewhere, and were about a half hour behind the plane as a result. I sent my license and medical to the FAA the day I sold my beloved Varga.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:30   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I also moved from planes to sailboats

Nice that a lot of the metrology stuff was transferable

Yes, it's not a good idea to either fly or sail in a Thunderstorm
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:33   #18

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Grew up with boats as a primary influence, no planes.
Got inspired to fly at 23 and turned that passion into my lively-hood (can't call it a "career").
The boat hobby as now returned in a big way.

Steve

Passion for flying died a few years back but a few remnants of that era remain.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:23   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Nice set of toys Panope. Being a mechanic has led me into a lot of broken toys that people were anxious to get rid of. Its a blessing and a curse at the same time. Over the years I was able to own 32 airplanes, all of which were derelict or wrecks and all of which I rebuilt to flying condition. Being dirty head to toe most days, I've gotten stopped and interrogated by straight laced, uniformed, clean cut pilots who were flying the rattiest old Cherokee Six's for a local air taxi in Fairbanks AK, asking what a vagrant like me is doing on the GA ramp. The look on their faces as I walk by them to get into my Bellanca Super Viking was priceless. I own a 46 T-craft BC12D on floats now. I have it for sale to hopefully buy a bigger boat.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:26   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Very nice toy box Panope!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 13:55   #21

Nice thread....

There are LOTS of pilots who sail and own sailboats. The Moorings Interline Sailing Regatta held every October in the BVIs is a big event....been going on more than 30 years. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but tons of pilots from around the world participate...some VERY serious sailors in that lot.

In the old days I've heard stories of Pan Am pilots having boats built on their layovers in the Orient....Cheoy Lee for example in Hong Kong....then bringing them home

Seems a natural transition.....many similarities. Sailors and pilots understand basic aerodynamics, weather, navigation, communications etc.

However... DON'T come on a sailing board and talk or relate things aviation. Some evidently take offense to that. The word "pilot" has a very negative connotation to a few. Or maybe even more than a few as evidenced by the following recent quotes....

" Pilots are nothing more than glorified bus drivers and that includes Boeing pilots" "How do you tell a pilot at a party?....."He'll tell ya" etc etc.

But hey I'm a big fan, love both, and am enjoying the thread, the pics and the discussions.
Old 30-08-2016, 19:30   #22

Boat: O'Day 322

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1472608748.910437.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	130323Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1472609034.162180.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	130324.

Like AH-64, started my career flying for Uncle Sam in the Army for 22 years (Huey's, Cobras, Kiowas, and Apaches). Not wanting to give up flying, I built an RV-6A and I'm still having a blast with it. I got the sailing bug about 6 years ago and love it. Right now, I still have a day job, but my goal is to take my O'Day 322 to the Bahamas in a couple years when I retire. Reading stories on Cruisers Forum and blogs are keeping me motivated in the meantime. Agree with others that the many of the piloting skills transfer well to sailing...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jcrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 20:26   #23

Boat: wanting a cat

Nice RV! I have the utmost respect for what you have accomplished. I started out in the Army as a 68G. I toured the factory a few years ago and it was quite the operation. I have always observed that you get a boatload more boat for the money compared to an airplane. To me, a boat has so much more to offer than the fleeting glimpse of the earth from above. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, meal card stamped "no dessert". I still love to fly, but the investment/return for me is a big cat...

BTW, Thank you for your service! Cobra pilot, flew S-92 in the Stan as a contractor...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 03:45   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Well Saleen, now we have a group who won't complain if we post some a/c pics on a sailing forum.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 06:53   #25

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

10 years active duty flying fixed wings with the Navy (3 in Antarctica flying LC-130s, 3 in Rota, Spain flying EP-3s). Flew C9s for 14 years in the reserves. Bought my second and current sailboat (Alubat OVNI 47) after 9/11, I feared I was going to be furloughed. I never got the pink slip, but kept the boat. Spent 9 years circumnavigating the Caribbean in my spare time. Crossed the Atlantic, solo, non-stop in 2014. Just finished 2 months cruising Balearic islands. Worked the last 18 years with Delta flying B737, MD88, B757, B767, and A330. I love sailing, flying is an easy way to pay the bills.
Old 31-08-2016, 07:33   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Been flying for 37 years and sailing almost as long.
Never owned no airplane, always flew for a paycheck, including bush Alaska.
(Blowing 30 knots in the winter and 26 below Fahrenheit, windchill -80. Never again, too young and too enthusiastic back then )

Sailing is fun, but slow and expensive. Plenty of zen feelings, but now on a powerboat, may get back into sailing later. (Wife would not go cruising full time so we ended up with a bunch of long and short Bahamas trips. I would have kept going, but always had to return to my flying job.)
Say it ain't so!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 07:43   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, truth be known my first love is a Helicopter, just no way I could do that, I had a rich Uncle pay for all that flying
I don't want to start a mono / Cat debate, but I'd bet more pilots / rotor heads are in monos than you might think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thought I might tease you out on this one. I suppose your IA is key to keeping the 140 in good shape. It ought to be going up in value like crazy. If you ever want a Swift I know where some are.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 07:57   #28

Boat: KP 46

Well, I sail so that I can fly. Sailing is my vocation, flying is my avocation...

Sailing supports my flying habit. Actually, I love both. Trouble is it is not always easy to rent a plane in other countries.. Although OZ and NZ were no problem and beautiful country to fly in. I was laying in Darwin and rented a Warrior and flew it all over Kakadu and down to Ayres Rock, great fying country, not a light to be seen at night though...

I fly a little aerobatic bush plane I built a few years ago. Bunch of fun!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shadow p.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	130353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140420_125624.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	130354  

captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 07:58   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would love a swift, but not now, I feel bad about keeping an airplane, and just this week bought my Daughter a car as she wrecked hers, and bought my Son a truck a couple of months ago. I'm depleting the Kitty, not building it and I Have to stop that. I don't think the 140 is worth much, a few years ago when the LSA thing first came out the value of 140's plummeted, cause they are not LSA legal, too high a gross weight. But I think the LSA thing has run its course and with this new ruling on Medicals, no real need for LSA anymore.
140 is just a real cheap way to fly, not fast but compared to other similar airplanes it's fast enough and carries enough fuel so that you can actually go somewhere, Cubs and others like that, you really can't, faster to drive.
I work at a Factory that manufacturers new aircraft so all my common hardware I don't pay for and being an IA does help a lot. I pretty much only pay for fuel and storage.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:36   #30
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. 140 is just a real cheap way to fly, not fast but compared to other similar airplanes it's fast enough and
Never flew a 140, but taught a lesson (or BFR) in a 120.
Tiny cockpit. I suppose you are not a big fat guy?

Tags
sail, sailboat