Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 14:35   #1

Air height Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45 2006

We are planning a trip south from Mystc Ct to St Simons Island, Ga. nothing I can find tells name the air height for bridges. Can anyone help? We don’t have a halyard available to do the measurement from top of mast to deck. Thanks!
Bunanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 04:07   #2

Re: Air height Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45 2006

Bunanza,

The SailboatData website has measurements for many sailboats. See https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/su...y-452-jeanneau
That page might have the height you need.

The "I" measurement for a boat with a masthead jib is taken from the top of the highest sheave for a jib halyard or to the attachment point for a spinnaker halyard block as the top of the measurement. The measurement is down the front of the mast to the level of the deck at the side of the boat.

The "I" measurement from SailboatData is 51.80 feet (or 15.79 meters).

You need to add the height of the deck above the water measured at a point adjacent to the front of the mast.

You also need to add the vertical dimension of the highest antenna, Windex or light fixture that has been added to the top of the mast.

The height you add up will be good enough for planning your trip by looking up bridge clearances on the charts, but you should not use that number for actually navigating under any bridge that has a clear height that is close to your calculated air-draft.

You should lower the jib to free up a halyard in order to actually measure the height of the mast.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 04:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Air height Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45 2006

It is going to be close. I moved a 43 that had a VHF antenna that was a tad over 65. We ended up going to Key West vs cutting across FL Bay.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau