Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Ahhh ... We Finally Left The Dock

Well actually it was a little more than a week ago. Not all of the projects were done, but the important ones were.

The shakedown cruise has certainly been eventful. We knew going into this that adding so many different things to the boat at one time could complicate things. We have had issues everyday, sometimes two, to troubleshoot. Most seem to be related to power in one way or another, thank goodness for the new solar panels. Calmly talking through the problem and figuring out how to fix the problem or figuring out a work around has been very empowering for both of us. We had been dreaming about this for so long, but the closer the time came to finally live the dream I know both of us had doubts about whether we could actually do it. Now we both know we can!

At the end of the day, as we sit in the cockpit, a drink in our hands and watch the sun go down, we can't help but grin at each other. We both have admitted that we have never worked harder in our lives and we are bone tired at the end of the day, but still we smile. I am covered in bruises, every joint in my body aches and still I smile.

Today, I am sitting in a slip at Sopher's Hole Marina on the west end of Tortola, while Barry is racing to get to Golden Hind Chandlery before they close for a new starter battery. Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread about spare parts and tools, we had a good idea what we needed but we added a few more thanks to you. The one thing I do not remember seeing was a battery charger, we brought one on board because we had it at home -- what a godsend today! We probably could not have started the boat twice, but once was all we needed to get us here!

We are still chasing down the charging issue on one of the house batteries. However, I think we will complete the install of the wind generator first. The refrigeration can't be fixed until we get the new probes, but I have moved everything to the freezer and turned up the temperature. It is good that the probes went at the beginning because I didn't get a chance to fill up the freezer!

I believe I read somewhere that cruising was just boat repair/maintenance in exotic places. I'm not sure the BVI would qualify as exotic, but it is a great place to replace a battery!

Ahhhhhh ... Robyn (& Barry)
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:15   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Ahhh ... We Finally Left The Dock

Congratulations, hope you continue to enjoy the lifestyle, and all its challenges and benefits for years to come.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:20   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

Great post, Smartmove! Keep on keeping on....and enjoy! You will sort out your battery issues and be rewarded once again with the knowledge that brings.

Do read the about batteries and charging on the forum....lots of good info.
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38   #4

SUper!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44   #5

Boat: 1974 O'Day 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I'm not sure the BVI would qualify as exotic, but it is a great place to replace a battery!

Ahhhhhh ... Robyn (& Barry)
Compared to Salt Lake City, I gotta say you made a Smart Move!

Congratulations!
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54   #6
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy the BVIs and the rest of your shake down goes smoothly. We certainly thought it exotic...we stayed 2.5 months. Enjoy!
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57   #7

Boat: Pearson 281

Congratulations, good on ya and everything like that. I am dreadfully jealous and your post helps me to keep pushing.
Met a honeymooning couple from the east coast on a BVI charter. Their first comment about their trip was that they did not realize how much work it was going to be.
But what satisfying work eh? A good kinda tired for sure! Cruising is my kind of job!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:07   #8

Boat: Still doing research...

Fair winds and safe journey to wherever you may end up.

Holler, if you end up in my side of the pond.