Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: My age or the average age of my crew is...
18-29 37 6.94%
30-39 89 16.70%
40-49 128 24.02%
50-59 186 34.90%
60-69 89 16.70%
70-1,000,000 10 1.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 04:03   #46

Boat: Lagoon 37
"You can always make more money, You can't make more time"
Go now!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:48   #47

I'm 37 started at 30. Wife is pushing 33.

I noticed a greater number of younger...under 35ish....cruisers in the more remote places in the western south pacific areas. At least as an over-all ratio. It's a generalization though, just depends on chance timing to who is around at any given season.

We have made outstanding friends from 14 to 75 out there. We're comfortable socializing with any age group, though I prefer people older then me as I learn more form them. Also finding I can't keep up with the younger party hounds anymore!

- J
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 13:34   #48
cruiser

I first set out singlehanded for New Zealand from BC at the ripe old age of 23 . Now I'm 58 .Been singlehanded cruisin the whole time and have no intention of ever stopping.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 23:59   #49

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
I wonder if it is because at the average of 35, many go through some sort of midlife crises. By the average of 40, most have worked out there is more to life than working and money.
Speak for yourself....I still want to be a pirate
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 19:35   #50

Boat: Passport 42 - Gwaihir
I'm 13, I've cruised a lot with my family. Parents are late forties, brother 16.
Old 14-08-2007, 04:33   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
I first set out singlehanded for New Zealand from BC at the ripe old age of 23 . Now I'm 58 .Been singlehanded cruisin the whole time and have no intention of ever stopping.
Brent
Do I have the wrong website, Brent?
Go Cruising
”... My wife and I were both working very hard but at the end of the month there was never anything left over. To solve the problem we decided to do something completely different - we went cruising.
We cruised for the better part of 20 years ..."

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:15   #52

Don't know who the author is, but I strongly disagree with this statement: "Cruising is simply too physically and mentally demanding for most people to start once they reach retirement age."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 07:40   #53

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
i'm 34, and i feel i waited way too long to cruise. though, having an extensive contract with uncle sam didn't help much, either. hehehe had i not joined the Army, i probably would have been cruising by 22. i was certainly in a good position to do so. no regrets, though. i am MUCH better prepared to do this now as my maturity, though lacking still, is at a point where i know what i really want...
Old 01-09-2007, 14:08   #54

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24 Ft. Mighty Merry Too
When in Mexico I met a single handed cruiser who was 90 years old at the time. Some years later I read that he was then on his way to the Marianas. Have often wondered about him since but that's probably the outer limit on cruising age.
Mary, the Antique Sailor
sailorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 14:26   #55

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
I think to many people who have a wife and kids think it is to hard to cruise with kids. i have met a fair few cruisers here with kids and i think they are the most well adjusteted children i have met. they seem interested in the world around them not just getting on the computer to play some mindless game. Also most people in Aus at least frown appon you when they hear you have sold your house to go live on a boat. i think this is why you find generally older people cruising as they are more prepared to tell the rest of the world to get stuffed they will do what they want.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 18:31   #56

David is now 45, I'm 41. We've been cruising for three years in the Caribbean

D & D
s/v Bruadair
The Adventures of s/v Bruadair
bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 17:28   #57

Cruisin`

I am assuming by definition, you mean those who cruise full time? My husband is 47, and I`m soon to be 52, and our plan is to shove off full time in our Vagabond 42 no later than November 09. I would be very interested in hearing "approximates" in terms of how much or how little people can cruise full time.

Although our incomes and resources exceed $3,000.00 per month, this is what we think we can comfortably cruise with. If my budget is out of line, please let me know.

I don`t want to outlive my money, just want to enjoy my retirement. Should I be looking at increasing? We don`t want to stay at Marina`s all the time, but neither do we want to drop the pick .5 mile from conveniences.

Thanks!
Denim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 23:09   #58

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Speaking of inflation ………..Off topic a bit

In 1966 (as a teen) I could buy 8 loaf’s of bread for 1 hour of labor.
Now I can buy 10 loaf’s for and hour of labor. Not much of an improvement in income, I would think.

I could buy 7.15 gal of gas for an hour.
Now I can buy around 10 gal.

An oz. of Gold would be 17.5 hours of labor.
Now 22 hours. (going down hill—fast)

And just think, the coins were silver.

A new Chevy = around 1000 hours
Now still the same, 1000 hours.

A 12 oz. Coke from a vending machine =20 per hour
Now 50 per hour. Now, that’s an improvement.

And it’s said the quality of life is improving, Huh!

One of the reasons I chose my profession is those people of my profession were the ones driving Cadies and living in the big houses on the hill. Not any more. We’re considered lower middle class. Basically, we’re almost worthless. China produces all the products now. I’m just slightly above minimun wage in relation to what I made as a teen. But at least I can get my fair share of Coke now.

And this is one reason why I'll be heading out. So my lifes labor will be worth a bit more.

As the old saying goes "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is a servent to the lender". So, who does the US owe the most money???
Old 18-09-2007, 00:39   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

<snip>
For instance, using the Bureau of Labor Statistics own Inflation Calculator, $3000 in 2007 equates to the following:

1970: $558.81
1975: $774.85
1980: $1186.76
1985: $1549.70
1990: $1882.39

<snip>
That's just inflation based on US. The dollar has significantly weakened in many places. Although still a bargain by world standard, most of SEA is significantly more expensive in dollar terms than the 80's.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 09:13   #60

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24 Ft. Mighty Merry Too
Tao,
While I did some Great Lakes cruising in the 70;s and 80's my longdistance cruising was in the late 80's, 90's and we celebrated the new century in South Africa so I don't think my time frame is so far off as you think it is. The more important factor is the fact that so much of my time was spent in countries where the dollar was worth so much more: British Columbia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, various groups of the Polynesian Islands, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Brazil. One other factor to my advantage was that I have exceptionally good health care insurance so even though I had to pay in advance in the event of major things such as a gallbladder removal, my insurance reimbursed me. Minor things not covered were so inexpensive it's not worth mentioning.
Thanks for visiting my site.
Mary, the Antique Sailor
sailorm is offline   Reply With Quote