Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: My age or the average age of my crew is...
18-29 37 6.94%
30-39 89 16.70%
40-49 128 24.02%
50-59 186 34.90%
60-69 89 16.70%
70-1,000,000 10 1.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 19:09   #76

47 Retired, spend 6 to 8 mounths out of the year cruising, rest of the time at my country home in Geneva and condo in winter Park fl.
Drifter2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 19:19   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2869 View Post
47 Retired, spend 6 to 8 mounths out of the year cruising, rest of the time at my country home in Geneva and condo in winter Park fl.
By all accounts, 20 years ago this style of cruising was not very common. However, while cruising in 2000-2002 we met a fair number of people doing this and we are considering it ourselves. It makes sense in the Bahamas/Caribbean because most people sort of hole-up during much of hurricane season anyway.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 19:25   #78

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
It wasn't until I reached 40 did I settle into a home. I have now lived in one place longer (19 years) then any other place in my entire life. And I'm starting to get itchy. My only regrets is that I'd probably be financially better off.
I hear you. I spent my twenties working odd jobs and farting around the Channel Islands. I spent my thirties traveling the world with a backpack. When I was 40 I started med school and now that I'm looking at 50 I am building a cruising boat and plan to take off again in a few years. I am broke, I have no house, no assets, no security and no excuse except that I have had a blast! It sounds like Soupidmonkey is on the right track.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 20:50   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoupidmonkey View Post
Gives me hope for the future, as a bunch of 50+ year olds can get more crazy than I can. Bunch of drunks......hehe.
Drinking is a time-honored sailing/cruising tradition, and we expect you young people to uphold it. OTOH, my wife claims that we missed some good weather windows because I sort of over did it the night before. I, of course, have no recollection of any such events.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:06   #80

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
I'm now 65. Last fall we sold the house, car, even my hot rod (ouch). Gave the kids what they wanted and had an estate sale for everything else. Moved aboard in Dec. 06. I bought our boat in 99 and worked for 5 years outfitting for cruising. We started "part time" cruising in 05. Sailed for a month or two, then flew back home and worked. What a royal pain that was! The cost of owning and maintaining the home was about what our annual cruising budget is. Not to mention the hassle! Now we're free and loving it! As soon as the "insurance tollgate" opens, we're heading for the Bahamas. Over the winter we'll decide on our 08 sailing plans.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:59   #81

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Well I'm just a few years younger than bottleinamessge, but I did the same thing. I am still only summer cruising. Once I finish this contract in the middle east we will be full time and retired. I still plan to spend most of my time in the PNW unless the rain gets to me. Don't care for crowds so heading south doesn't sound that appealing at the moment. But I have never been one for planning too far in advance as far as trips are concerned. If I decide to go somewhere I will do the prep and go.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:45   #82

Boat: Hunter 28.5 & Tanzer 22
Well we plan to go cruising in two to three years when I retire I'll be 42 my husband will be 31 so he will just be taking a break from work...I guess we fit in two different age groups but the cruising is his dream me I am along for the ride and the sights....I have always been a bit of a vagabond anyway...
Reluctantsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29   #83

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
pirate Clarify please

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
I'm now 65. Last fall we sold the house, car, even my hot rod (ouch). Gave the kids what they wanted and had an estate sale for everything else. Moved aboard in Dec. 06. I bought our boat in 99 and worked for 5 years outfitting for cruising. We started "part time" cruising in 05. Sailed for a month or two, then flew back home and worked. What a royal pain that was! The cost of owning and maintaining the home was about what our annual cruising budget is. Not to mention the hassle! Now we're free and loving it! As soon as the "insurance tollgate" opens, we're heading for the Bahamas. Over the winter we'll decide on our 08 sailing plans.

Good for you for doing this! 65 is not too young! Hope you enjoy all of your experiences. When will you be going to Bahamas? I didn't get the insurance tollgate reference above.

We're going to plan to cross for our second sail trip to Bahamas in January after we finish adding a watermaker (Reverse Osmosis desalinator) and provisioning the boat. We hope to be able to leave it there for a year, and I know that there used to be a fee to pay ($500 is the figure I remember) to avoid paying the 7.5% import duty for bringing a boat into Bahamas for permanent status. Any news on this?

Our boat insurer (Allstate) says that we're covered there (Bahamas) on the policy, and as we have car and house also on the policy the premiums are not all that high!

Regards

Bob
Old 06-11-2007, 19:01   #84

Send a message via AIM to j9gillik Send a message via Yahoo to j9gillik
Interesting thread. By the time I finally make it to the blue water, I'll be 33-34, with no intention to return to shorebound life. I'm mildly surprised that I'd be the next best thing to a waterborne infant out there, compared to many of you!
j9gillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:59   #85

"Insurance tollgate" refers to the condition written into many policies requiring the boat to be north of a certain location until Nov. 1. In my policy, it's Cape Hatteras. If we're south of that before Nov. 1 and get hit by a "named storm" we have no coverage.

We arrived Charleston Monday after a very nice 34 hour sail down from Beaufort. The stars were simply awesome. Orion seemed so close to the water you could almost reach out and touch him! Yesterday's weather was perfect, so Diana and I, with two other crusing couples, hired a horse drawn carraige and took a tour of the city. If you ever stop here in your travels, I recommend you do the same. It was great!

This morning the cold front arrived. It's mid 50's and blowing 20. Yesterday was a short sleeve day. So we'll wait for this to pass then go outside for a run to St. Augustine, FL. Might make the Bahamas by Thanksgiving. Diana would like to be in Georgetown by Christmas.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:49   #86

Many policies also have a southern escape provision - usually something like 12 degrees. Basically, you're still covered for huricane season in places like Grenada, Trinidad/Tobago, Venezuela, ABCs, etc.
Old 07-11-2007, 19:45   #87

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24 Ft. Mighty Merry Too
Since this little Grandma crossed the Pacific Ocean single handed at 60 I wouldn't think 65 is too old. Got married at 65 and continued on across the next two oceans.
Best of luck to you.
Mary the Antique Sailor
sailorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:29   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Many marine insurance policies define the navigational limitations, by a navigational warranty, that specifies dates and geographic locations.
A navigational warranty may limit navigation areas during the hurricane months of June 1st to November 1st .
Typical Exclusion area:
12 degrees 40 minutes North Latitude -to- 23 degrees 30 minutes North Latitude (roughly from Grenada to Cape Hatteras, NC)
Whilst between 55 degrees West -and- 85 degrees West Longitude.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 14:42   #89

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
The age of the cruiser , is like age of the boat . It doesnt matter how old we are , what matter is the maintenance . One can have a newer boat , that wasn't look after , and she can be a far worse boat than the thirty year old one that been well taken care of . The same applies to people .If one sailor smoke like a chimney since his teens , ate junk , and most of the time spend in front of the holly TV set , won't be able to keep up with the "healthy " cruising senior . When I cross country ski , my skiing buddies are in the seventies , and me in my forties , having problems to keep up with these people.
Benefits of having kids late : average age of the crew on our boat is 27 .
Didn't make me fell any younger .
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 08:00   #90

This one says it all!!!
Walt Handelsman