Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 07:05   #1

Advice please

Guys - for a relative newbie looking to get into sailing, I am after any advice for purchasing a monohulled cruiser for island hopping in the Caribbean and possibly further afield.
Have I got the basics right??? - boat to accomodate 2 people, 35-40', should have roller main and genoa, as many batteries as possible, as many anchors as possible, solar and wind charging systems, avoid ex-charter, must have Volvo/Yanmar engine and Raymarine electronics (parts and servicing knowledge is limited in St Lucia).
The bigger question is do I go for an older boat with a better quality build or look for as new as possible on a limited budget (c$50,000US) - if the older one is a better bet any advice on makes to look for and avoid!
Many thanks in advance.
Garethj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Advice please

A topic that has been covered before. If you wish, you can use the search option we have. Other than that, it always ends up 50/50 to personal choice. Personally, I like the strength and character of an older boat. I have a 1974 Hallberg-Rassy, that in no way broke the bank. Hope this helps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

As above. Although it sounds like you've been doing too much Internet research and have started to overthink! No doubt some knowledgeable folk will be along shortly to debate what you need. In the meantime use the google search engine limited to this site only, i.e

<my search criteria> site:cruisersforum.com

where <my search criteria> could be something like "boat choice for Caribbean" or whatever.

Good luck!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I think most folks with your preferences are probably looking at older, well cared for, shoal draft, and maybe centerboard, boats like those from Tartan, Morgan and Columbia (from 60s, early 70s.) Don't be put off by their age, if they have been well maintained they can be bargains.
Welcome here BTW!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:43   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Garehj. Love the enthusiasm but, as been stated in many threads. If Your a complete newbie to sailing a 35 -40 foot boat is not like driving an RV. Get a smaller boat 20 ft and day sail, crew on a club sailor and get some expeirence before going to a 35 ft Boat.

The best thing to do is get more experience and you will have a better idea as to what you want.

As per your question. There are a lot of good 15 yr old boats you can get for 50k. But for 5 to 10 you can get an awesome 20 24 ft Boat to sail locally in.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 13:04   #6

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Youtube.... Wicked Salty, plenty of others.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zNWKZ7I-WQqZls
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease