Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 19:29   #226

Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
One of my 401K funds is called the "2040 Target Fund". Until that comment, 2040 seemed not only like a long ways off for retirement, but also extremely boring. Now, I'm at least looking forward to boobs, huge erections and having to feel my way around... . Just like that summer camp back when I was 15....
It's a trick I tell you!
sailpower is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 19:37   #227
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah...the Meat of the issue! So the question is simply put: "it is the role of the Federal Government to pick the winners and losers or is it better to be left to the individuals?
Heh, I'm all for it. We just need to close the VA, Medicare and Medicaid and we'll see who the invisible hand pulls the plug on first.

Problem is, it will never happen just like the "fair" tax. a 35% sales tax? No one would ever buy a thing in a store ever again, wonder what Walmart thinks about the fair tax. Speaking of market forces.
Old 01-10-2013, 19:41   #228

Boat: PETERSON 44
[QUOTE="ohdrinkboy;1354363"] I understand your situation. It's no different than when the government told all of the GM retires to "screw you." No different than my employer killing my pension, or .....the list goes on and on. So please don't give us the holier than thou. Everybody gets screwed by the system your father no different. It's not right, but sad fact of life that you can't count on a promise.[/QUOTE

Not holier then thou at all.

It is different. My dad never said screw them. Therapy said that. My dad worked late hours serving the people of Rhode Island. I didn't say screw your union or screw all gm employees. Pretty y sure if you were in Rhode Island and called Senator Pells office he would work late to try to get you help. Never did he come home and say hell yeah today we ****ed over some working class smuck and they won't get the benefits they earned. Screw them all. Like most of us we are trying to do the right things. I turned out to be a working class smuck and a libertarian. I have a unique look at how this all spins. Flat out screw them all is ignorant.
It's a tad more complicated then screw every and all them.
sabray is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 19:46   #229

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

Heh, I'm all for it. We just need to close the VA, Medicare and Medicaid and we'll see who the invisible hand pulls the plug on first.

Problem is, it will never happen just like the "fair" tax. a 35% sales tax? No one would ever buy a thing in a store ever again, wonder what Walmart thinks about the fair tax. Speaking of market forces.
Right, and lets get rid of the mortgage interest deduction, the charitable deduction, child care everything, retirement plan deductions, etc. and see how the "get the government off my back" people like it.
Old 01-10-2013, 19:55   #230

Ohh you don't know what a libertarian is.
John Locke

Expressed the radical view that government is morally obliged to serve people, namely by protecting life, liberty, and property. He explained the principle of checks and balances to limit government power. He favored representative government and a rule of law. He denounced tyranny. He insisted that when government violates individual rights, people may legitimately rebel.
Old 01-10-2013, 20:09   #231
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Right, and lets get rid of the mortgage interest deduction, the charitable deduction, child care everything, retirement plan deductions, etc. and see how the "get the government off my back" people like it.
AMEN to That!
Why do you get a Tax break for buying a home when the poor guy renting doesn't?
Why do you get a Tax break for donating to Charity, when that is what you should do in the first place?
Why do families with eight kids get more tax breaks than a kidless couple?
Why is the Tax code not about raising Revenue to pay for the Constitutional functions of Governmet and more about playing social engineer?

Getting the Government off our backs was the entire reason for the Bill of Rights folks and LIMITED Federal Government the Founders set up...not to get you health care by stealing money from your neighbors.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 20:15   #232

I'm good with that. Think we have some new leaders ready to stand up for office .
Old 01-10-2013, 20:28   #233

The trouble with all of these good ideas, and I share them, is that we are dealing with politicians (pick your poison, doesn’t matter).
sailpower is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 20:31   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
AMEN to That!
Why do you get a Tax break for buying a home when the poor guy renting doesn't?
Why do you get a Tax break for donating to Charity, when that is what you should do in the first place?
Why do families with eight kids get more tax breaks than a kidless couple?
Why is the Tax code not about raising Revenue to pay for the Constitutional functions of Governmet and more about playing social engineer?

Getting the Government off our backs was the entire reason for the Bill of Rights folks and LIMITED Federal Government the Founders set up...not to get you health care by stealing money from your neighbors.
I'm not saying I'm actually in favor of eliminating all of those items, just that if you want less government then let's be fair about eliminating things. Remember last time they wanted to reduce the mortgage interest deduction? Who was it that yelled the loudest? Whose lobbyist worked to defeat it?
Old 01-10-2013, 20:51   #235

Uhh ohh doodle is running for office.
Old 01-10-2013, 21:54   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Uhh ohh doodle is running for office.
I am developing a good understand of corruption here in Thailand so maybe I should run in the US.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30   #237
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

[QUOTE]
Quote:
many European countries have 25% VAT sales tax, seems to work fine , the world didnt stop.

as for the "Government Lite" constitutional argument, nice idea over a pint of beer, not going to happen, cause you have too many self interest groups. ( on all sides of the political divide). So lets leave that one and move on.

When you look at it, no reason the US couldn't have a Canadian or Germany style single payer model, that provides standardised good cover.( and paid for by standard taxes, or a simple national insurance model) Then let the private insurance provide the "gold plated" stuff at full cost no tax rebates to the rich that want menus that look like a restaurant in a hospital.

I suspect such a medical system would be cheaper then the current confused pseudo private system.

Medicine and Healthcare is simply the wrong area to have a political bun-fight over
dave
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44   #238

[QUOTE=goboatingnow;1354510]
Quote:

many European countries have 25% VAT sales tax, seems to work fine , the world didnt stop.

as for the "Government Lite" constitutional argument, nice idea over a pint of beer, not going to happen, cause you have too many self interest groups. ( on all sides of the political divide). So lets leave that one and move on.

When you look at it, no reason the US couldn't have a Canadian or Germany style single payer model, that provides standardised good cover.( and paid for by standard taxes, or a simple national insurance model) Then let the private insurance provide the "gold plated" stuff at full cost no tax rebates to the rich that want menus that look like a restaurant in a hospital.

I suspect such a medical system would be cheaper then the current confused pseudo private system.

Medicine and Healthcare is simply the wrong area to have a political bun-fight over
dave
I couldn't agree more.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52   #239

Boat: Columbia 24

[QUOTE=goboatingnow;1354510]
Quote:
When you look at it, no reason the US couldn't have a Canadian or Germany style single payer model
I believe there is no legal liability for doctors and hospitals - correct me if I'm wrong, but doctors and hospitals can't be sued for mistakes in Canada or Germany or Great Britain.
Eumelia is offline   Reply
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56   #240
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

[QUOTE=Eumelia;1354519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

I believe there is no legal liability for doctors and hospitals - correct me if I'm wrong, but doctors and hospitals can't be sued for mistakes in Canada or Germany or Great Britain.

They certainly can be sued in the UK.

But whats that got to do with anything, Doctors like all professionals have indemnity insurance, sometimes the state pays for it , sometime not. ( same with hospitals, )

It has nothing to do with the model.

Dave

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail