Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2020, 17:33   #1

Boat: 2019 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 389
AC pump Problem

So I purchased a new Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 389 with air condtioner, I just put her in the water after winterizing. I try to use the AC and no water was flowing through the pump, I checked all the valves and seemed to be open , I know, by reading a lot of post, this is a common issue with a lot of boat units. Is there anyway to get rid of this and make it work correctly? Also, and sorry I’m a new boat owner, how do I know this valves are open. thank you for any suggestions guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EF7AFD5-021F-4E9E-B478-0E67C068A8B8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	216155   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C16456D-7B1A-486A-B2B9-36ED4CF7E9F6.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	216156  

CJRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 17:45   #2

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: AC pump Problem

Those pumps need to be below the waterline and the filter needs to be below them. They don’t prime air well so you need to bleed the air out of the system til the pump.

Is the pump running ?
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 18:06   #3

Yes, it runs but no water comes in
Old 29-05-2020, 18:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It has an air bubble in the line at the pump or air in the pump, ideally the line should come from the thru hull and have a slight uphill run all the way to the AC with no point being as low or lower than the pump, most installations don’t meet that requirement and when the boat is hauled the water drains out of course and when relaunched the bubble forms.
Only way I have ever had success with it Is to loosen the hose that comes out of the pump until it sprays water and then retighten it, you don’t need to take it off, just loosen it, and it works better if the pump is running, but you have to be quick because the AC will soon overheat without cooling water and throw a code. So loosen the line and then turn the AC on, the pump is easy to tell it’s running because you can feel it.
You should be good for the year, but sometimes when heeled over the system will drain again and then your back to bleeding it again.
I have two AC’s one never, ever has a problem and the other one does. I need to relocate the pump higher on the one that has a problem, but of course still be below water line.
The whole line coming from the thru hull to the AC should all be slightly uphill.
On my instal the strainer is slightly above the pump, I need to raise the pump or lower the strainer or both.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:56   #5

You guys are amazing, thank you so much, I'll try that, also, is that valve on the photo open, I can't tell
Old 30-05-2020, 09:29   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRodriguez View Post
You guys are amazing, thank you so much, I'll try that, also, is that valve on the photo open, I can't tell

Yes, it’s open. A ball valve will normally have the handle inline with the valve body when open, and perpendicular to it when it’s closed.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:43   #7

Thank you sooo much, I have so much to learn. Thankfully I am part of this forum so I can learn from the masters.
Old 05-06-2020, 14:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Also might want to know about those March pumps. You can see 2 small tubing runs to the motor. If they are installed dry, those tubing runs have to be kept clear for cooling, otherwise your pump will overheat and die. Best way to do that is to run an acid wash through your system periodically. This will keep the heat exchanger in your unit clear, as well as those tiny tubes.

You should also know that these pumps have a habit of failing on the hottest day of the year, at the beginning of a long weekend on the boat! We've actually put a redundant 2 pump system, and a switch to switch the new one on when the old one fails.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 16:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRodriguez View Post
So I purchased a new Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 389 with air condtioner, I just put her in the water after winterizing. I try to use the AC and no water was flowing through the pump, I checked all the valves and seemed to be open , I know, by reading a lot of post, this is a common issue with a lot of boat units. Is there anyway to get rid of this and make it work correctly? Also, and sorry I’m a new boat owner, how do I know this valves are open. thank you for any suggestions guys.
That pump is high quality .:. But it is not self priming

Depending on the pumps location You may need to bleed the air out when you launch or it won’t movd water
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump