Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 06:45   #151

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
None of this is limited to boats, people do this in general as a sport. The same couple would be complaining just as much on land.
I do not agree with this statement. I think there are a lot of spouses out there who feel they have been cornered/cohersed into the cruising dream. Relationships that work on land do not always work on a boat.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:45   #152
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: A "Simple" Boat

When it comes right down to it, if a couple wants different things on their boat they probably aren't a good match to start with.

When I went to get our first boat and asked my wife she wanted on it the only thing she said was "a real shower". This seemed very reasonable to me as I like showers as much as her!
Old 29-11-2013, 06:46   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I feel compelled to say that while this wisdom works for some, perhaps even many sailing couples, it is not a universal truth. The "female factor" in my duo does not need more space to powder her nose ... ever. Nor does she worry about boat heeling ... except to order a reef (assuming she is on the helm at that moment)...............
I like this thought and I would add my "female factor" to what I am sure is a long list of ladies that adapt to the cruising and liveaboard life without special needs. Nancie moved aboard with me many years ago onto a 30' narrow beam sloop with no prior sailing experience. During the eighties she captained an all female racing crew and she's able to maneuver our full keel heavy tub in all the conditions we take on. I know there's a full range of sailing partners from high maintenance to essential crew.
I may just be lucky, but I like to think that I made a smart choice back in 1969!
Old 29-11-2013, 06:48   #154
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
I do not agree with this statement. I think there are a lot of spouses out there who feel they have been cornered/cohersed into the cruising dream. Relationships that work on land do not always work on a boat.
That's because they don't want the same things, but the space on land allows them to ignore it. They aren't really a good match to start with.
Old 29-11-2013, 08:18   #155
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
my wife she wanted on it the only thing she said was "a real shower". This seemed very reasonable to me as I like showers as much as her!
The ability to take "real showers" is the ability to have Romantic Encounters while cruising... The Hudson Garden Sprayers showers may save water and work for the guy...but you can forget about the romance

Quote:
The Pardeys, Annie Hall and the Goodlanders make no bones about scrapping to get by.
And I would submit that the "Pardey" style of Crusising has turned off MORE people from going cruising than it has encouraged to go. Sheesh...after my wife watched a few of their vids and read some of their books, it took me months to convince her we wouldn't be living like that!

No offence to the Pardeys at all, but if their definition of Cruising was REALLY what it was like out there TODAY....ha ha ha...well there would be a lot more room in the anchorages folks, I for one woulldn't have been out there!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 08:37   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Some of the simplicity depends upon where you sail. Here around the Chesapeake I can take tons of stuff off the boat that I feel required for sailing in Newfoundland. Hell, I even have a spare radar. It's a bugger to be stuck somewhere for a week or two needing some small part that would be common to ship overnight in the US. I rented a car and drove three hours each way to buy a set of seals for my water pump. And the next day drove 2 hours the other direction to get an alternator fixed. That was in Cape Breton.

You never "need" one of something. For if you truly "need" it, you need a spare or an alternative.

As to wives, we've got 8 years of marriage counseling, and it's working, but it is a slow slog. We are best friends and partners, but boy is it tough.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 10:21   #157

Boat: Rafiki 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
And I would submit that the "Pardey" style of Crusising has turned off MORE people from going cruising than it has encouraged to go. Sheesh...after my wife watched a few of their vids and read some of their books, it took me months to convince her we wouldn't be living like that! No offence to the Pardeys at all, but if their definition of Cruising was REALLY what it was like out there TODAY....ha ha ha...well there would be a lot more room in the anchorages folks, I for one woulldn't have been out there!
Kinda funny, but the Pardey style of cruising is an attraction to us. Just shows that everyone is different, and there really are no single answers.
Old 29-11-2013, 11:52   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriesail View Post
...one should consider her comfort with that extra space on a bigger boat and the extra equipment that makes it easier for her.
I can't argue with your success,
but I can't imagine what "extra equipment"
(aside from a convenient head)
would increase my wife's comfort and ease aboard.
My response to her needs is simplicity-
a boat that allows me to focus on our shared sailing experience
rather than spending our time together
repairing and maintaining a large. complex boat.

Quote:
Another factor regarding a more complicated boat is the age factor, as the older you get the more comfort and assistance you need
I'm both old and feeble.
The only way I can continue to sail
is by choosing the smallest boat that can meet our needs
and the simplest rig and equipment.
I choose a junk rig,
as either of us can raise a a 400-foot junk sail alone
and reef it in five seconds flat
with nothing more complex than a three-part halyard.

Good weather gear">foul weather gear,
good boat shoes/boots
and a decent mattress
are the only ways I can see
for equipment to enhance our comfort.

Simplicity leads to economy and security and comfort.

- Shas
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:03   #159

Quote:
I would submit that the "Pardey" style of Crusising has turned off MORE people from going cruising than it has encouraged to go.
It was the Pardey books and videos
that convinced my wife (and my daughters)
that cruising was a safe, exciting, accessible,
and adequately comfortable activity.

I invented the garden-sprayer shower on my own,
and after seeing it in the Pardey videos
they agreed that it was better than marina showers
and better than spending time and money
operating and maintaining a pressurised hot water system.
Romantic encounters require warm water and soap (IMO),
not white tiles and chrome fixtures.

Of course, meeting the Pardeys in Vancouver
and spending a couple of afternoons on Taleisin
demonstrated the friendliness, serenity,
fulfilment and enthusiasm
that a lifetime of simple sailing has to offer.

-Shas
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:18   #160

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
but blanket admonitions to "go simple" are not always beneficial to the newbie... or to the experienced sailor!
I agree with most of Jim's comments regarding level if simplicity being an individual consideration.

However, I do think the "go simple" refrain is useful. When newbies leave the docks they don't really know what is going to be important to them "out there".

I say go as simple as possible, leave money in the bank, then add systems as their need becomes obvious. This approach has worked extremely well for us.

Experienced cruisers know what they want so the "go simple" refrain is not as relevant.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 13:34   #161

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

And I would submit that the "Pardey" style of Crusising has turned off MORE people from going cruising than it has encouraged to go. Sheesh...after my wife watched a few of their vids and read some of their books, it took me months to convince her we wouldn't be living like that!

No offence to the Pardeys at all, but if their definition of Cruising was REALLY what it was like out there TODAY....ha ha ha...well there would be a lot more room in the anchorages folks, I for one woulldn't have been out there!
It's interesting to note that while the Pardeys proclaim self-sufficiency without an engine, they have been known to catch a tow in a harbor on occasion.
I think we all find our own comfort zone when cruising. The first time out you might realize that your ideas are not perfect and become modified quickly. Soon you can find your comfort groove.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 15:40   #162

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
. . . However, I do think the "go simple" refrain is useful. . . I say go as simple as possible, leave money in the bank, then add systems as their need becomes obvious. . .
What I thought would be "needs" have changed over time as my boat and I grew on each other. Fortunately, I didn't rush into an expensive refit and put trust in the guys that designed and built her in 1974. Now, I'm making some minor improvements (?) but I research and think hard-and-long before adding to or changing the original layout. Luckily, my bright ideas usually don't get past the drafting table.
Old 30-11-2013, 16:53   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
What I thought would be "needs" have changed over time as my boat and I grew on each other. Fortunately, I didn't rush into an expensive refit and put trust in the guys that designed and built her in 1974. Now, I'm making some minor improvements (?) but I research and think hard-and-long before adding to or changing the original layout. Luckily, my bright ideas usually don't get past the drafting table.
Smart man. I cant count how many times I've done projects because I THOUGHT something would be good to have, or because of an anal need for tidiness, or because I read about it in a book wrtitten by someone who sailed long distance.... and assumed it was gospel or made sense for me....
Then when done, and hundreds of dollars later.... I never thought abut it again; the batteries didnt charge any better with those new tidy cables run at neat right angles etc....
Use your boat... figure what's really important... and what it will cost every time you use it... is a good plan...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 17:05   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Smart man. I cant count how many times I've done projects because I THOUGHT something would be good to have, or because of an anal need for tidiness, or because I read about it in a book wrtitten by someone who sailed long distance.... and assumed it was gospel or made sense for me.... Then when done, and hundreds of dollars later.... I never thought abut it again; the batteries didnt charge any better with those new tidy cables run at neat right angles etc.... Use your boat... figure what's really important... and what it will cost every time you use it... is a good plan...
"An anal need for tidiness" ? Really?
Old 30-11-2013, 17:22   #165

Really! I asked a couple electrons and they told me they couldnt tell the difference!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote