Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50   #46

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: A "Simple" Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When I'm alone on board, things are quite simple, 10 euros per day for food an less than 10 gallons of fresh water. No TV, no a/c, just basic refrigeration. When others are on board, things get more complicated. But TV is never allowed... We tried it and discovered that TV tended to spoil the cruising experience.
The first item of business after purchase and delivery of the Mason was to disconnect and remove the TV. We gave it away. Don't have commercial TV reception in my house either as it tends to spoil the life experience.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I'm with sailorboy, I spend very little time fixing the more complicated systems. When things break, it's usually a water pump, so I just replace with one of the spares I always have... Very easy, only 10 minutes or so.
Exactly ... "simplicity" is a two-dimensional term. A very reliable system is "simple." So is one that is easy to maintain. My GPS is hard or impossible for me to repair, but it is completely (so far) reliable, so it is a simple tool. My windlass pretty reliable, but when something goes wrong, I can fix it.

BTW, I do think money matters in this equation as well. As CaptForce said, it can be simpler to have someone else fix your problems if you've got the cash. But then, getting enough money to be able to do this usually a complicated act .
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45   #48

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Remember the Volkswagen beetle?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:18   #49

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

If I fix it myself, I know that it is done right. If I have the service manuals and go slow, I think I can do almost anything. If I am going to sail remote islands, anywhere services are not available, I had better have spare parts for important items, or backup systems. Also, for me there is a satisfaction in repairing something myself. One thing I have learned; however, is do it right the first time. Do not skimp.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:26   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
On a related note, I follow the blog of a couple with a kid who just got back from a loop from california around south america in an old VW van.

Most would consider it a simple vehicle. On the other hand is it simple that they are on thier 3rd engine and every other post is about them repairing something on the VW, scrounging for parts, etc...?

Very cool folks and they are out there doing it but simple is definetly a relative term.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37   #51

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Simple = camping.
+1!

And when you say camping do you mean a camper van or rather a guy with a rucksack?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37   #52

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Yep, very true. But it sure is simpler to replace one of those motors than a modern one.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+1!

And when you say camping do you mean a camper van or rather a guy with a rucksack?

b.
Backpacking. Guy with a rucksack.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:52   #54

I am reading the posts above and my head goes in circles: do you guys truly associate simplicity with "gensets, aises & macerators" and/or lack of such???

I say this because I feel that simplicity and the presence/absence of gadgets/techs are only remotely related.

b.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58   #55

Quote:
Backpacking. Guy with a rucksack.
We are on the same wave!

Simple=simple.

b.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58   #56

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
I am reading the posts above and my head goes in circles: do you guys truly associate simplicity with "gensets, aises & macerators" and/or lack of such???

I say this because I feel that simplicity and the presence/absence of gadgets/techs are only remotely related.

b.
Am not sure what you are trying to communicate here. Can you make it simple for the slow guys?
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:02   #57
cruiser

Quote:

b.
You can have it both ways. But having a genset and watermaker can make the boat truly self sufficient for extended voyages. During the four months of cruising we rarely if ever come in to a marina, instead prefering to anchor. While at anchor, the genset and watermaker are turned on for an hour a day, other than that... It's the simple life with few needs. I fix and maintain the systems myself in my copious free time at anchor when I'm not napping or listening to tunes on the ipad. The repairs can also be done whilst drinking beer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Am not sure what you are trying to communicate here. Can you make it simple for the slow guys?
(lost the original post, ergo the Internet is not simple)

I will try:

A boat with tech / equip / optional extras can still be simple.

A boat without can still be complex.

Digit?

b.
Old 12-11-2013, 13:14   #59
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
+1!

b.

Use the camper for getting to the park and take the rucksack on the day trip to the lake.

Wonder if there is a parallel to cruising?
Old 12-11-2013, 13:18   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Yep, we had matching 71 Super Bug and Westfalia Campmobile, still miss the camper. They were simple engines, but in need of constant "tinkering" valve adjustments, etc.
If anyone is curious, there were three bolts that held the engine in. Newer vehicles are way more complicated, but our Prius for example won't need it's plugs changed for 125,000 miles, but you have to remove almost the entire cowl to do it. So old tech is constant but simple tinkering, new Tech you have to have special tools and experieince
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote