Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 16:33   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: A little rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Is that the one finger wave?
Only when operating under the inland rules.
Old 02-12-2013, 17:07   #32

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I can sympathize with TwistedTree. And to those who suggested --"get a life" well just maybe they would have other comments if it was their goat getting gored.

I see similar "get a life" attitudes daily on interstate highways I travel. People who get into the fast lanes and creep along at or just below the posted speed limits frustrating other drivers. And to those who might respond..... ranting that cars should not exceed the posted limits, you're part of the problem. Around here driving at the speed limit in fast lanes just might cause your car to be rear ended.

Foggy
There is no "slow" lane in the waterway, nor is there a "fast" lane. In some areas there are no wake zones. The waterway is not the Interstate and anyone that draws a parallel to the Interstate is sorely mistaken. Perhaps you may have inadvertently hit on the nub of the problem. Drivers not sailors.
Old 02-12-2013, 18:03   #33

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: A Little Rant

If folks would just look both forward and back once in a while, it would help alot!! If ya sail something slow as we do, I like to enable the faster boats in passing me ! It makes it safer for both us and others ! A little thought would make a big difference, this lack of awareness seems to be something that is more offen seen on the ICW then anywhere else Ive sailed !! I guess the slowness gets to folks ! But we just try to help others to pass us, so they don't make fools of themselfs when they do pass !! LOL
Old 02-12-2013, 18:45   #34
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

I'm surprised at the number of "get a life responses" to the OP. I don't get the sense that this is an angry rant. He is just sharing. He hasn't proposed any new laws or suggested punishing anyone, and he doesn't seem to have insulted anyone on the water.

It's just a good old fashioned "why are there so many thoughtless people in the world" rant. I don't mean thoughtless as in rude. I mean thoughtless as in they don't think. I do this rant at least once a week. It's sort of a soothing rant. Makes me feel better about myself.
Old 02-12-2013, 18:51   #35

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

+1 on giving one or two whistles and going on if they don't respond. I monitor 13 and 16 but I really don't get the whole radio contact when it is clear what needs to happen. I always drop back when someone is astern, then ride into their wake as others noted.

I also wish some boats would just stay on plane passing. I usually wave people on if I can turn into their wake. I try to have things tied down well while underway so the wakes don't matter. Sometimes I'll make contact just to keep someone trucking along, but I like to be courteous, and if there is no issue I'd really rather see a captain keep on at cruising speed. Something about rhythm and flow.....

Twistedtree I woud be happy enough if every boat was more reachable, but shrimp boats? Ya right.

I remember calling a tug once back in NC after being in Hampton Roads, where everyone is professional; one whistle, two whistles, yada yada. I called the tug in the Pungo or somewhere wide and said I'd see him on one whistle. He replied, "well, how in the world else would we do it?"

It is easy to get a little overzealous on the radio. Radios are obnoxious sometimes, especially with the volume turned up over a droning diesel in a sailboat. And radio contact for routine passing is overkill in my opinion, but I'm certainly not criticizing your desire for order, safety, and making the ICW a better place. Consider a policy of a couple of attempted radio contacts on 13 1W, then your horn, then come on by. For routine stuff. Passes that really need a radio contact are pretty infrequent but no doubt it is annoying to come up on a shrimp boat that is actively trawling and trying to figure out what the hell they are gonna do. I also sail mostly offshore, but I am not some kind of purist and I go wherever makes the most sense. I really love the coastal areas that the ICW accesses. For covering miles, can't beat the big water, thereby avoiding all the BS radio chatter, wakes, bridges, shoaling, and constant attention at the helm. You might try that some more, see if it suits you.

My canoe stern makes it hard to read mine, so I don't think you would be happy passing me. But if you use your horn, I'll wave and smile, and if you have AIS and DSC, you will def reach me.

The more toys on decks, and clothes/towels drying on the lines, or pirate flags flying, the less likely to find a communications geek on board ready to chit chat about a routine pass. Some people just don't consider radio chatter a cool or fun part of cruising, and some people just don't know any better. Channel 13??? what???

cheers-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:52   #36

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Well, Bob and the Coot seemed to have been able to get along well in the Napa River.

Old 02-12-2013, 18:59   #37

I try to steer well away from commercial traffic. Not sure this fellow has a clear view forward:

Old 02-12-2013, 19:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I'm surprised at the number of "get a life responses" to the OP. I don't get the sense that this is an angry rant. He is just sharing. He hasn't proposed any new laws or suggested punishing anyone, and he doesn't seem to have insulted anyone on the water.

It's just a good old fashioned "why are there so many thoughtless people in the world" rant. I don't mean thoughtless as in rude. I mean thoughtless as in they don't think. I do this rant at least once a week. It's sort of a soothing rant. Makes me feel better about myself.
Thanks

I'm just trying to be one of the courteous captains who calls ahead and negotiates a pass. I appreciate it when others do that for me, and I try to do it to set a good example. After all, when passing, the rules of the road call for negotiating a safe pass either by signals or VHF.

But I can't call you if you don't have a VHF, have it turned off, aren't paying attention to where you are and hence don't respond to "southbound sail boat by mark 24", and don't have a name legible through binoculars at 3 boat lengths. I guess I'll start using the horn more and hope people actually know what it means. Again, in 45 years on the water I've only ever seen (heard) commercial boats actually use sound signals, and even with them 99% of the time we are all sorting it out over VHF rather than honking the horn all the time. That's how the big boys do it.

For those who staunchly defend their stealthy boat names and radio silence, no problem. I'll just come on by anyway and you can listen to my horn.

It's interesting to read all the posts about discourteous boaters, people waking other people, people who don't know the rules of the road, people who can't do a slow pass, etc. I'm complaining about people who by "not thinking", as Neo put it, are thereby making it difficult to impossible to be courteous. But I guess for those who don't care, I shouldn't either.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

For those who staunchly defend their stealthy boat names and radio silence, no problem. I'll just come on by anyway and you can listen to my horn.
Do it!! The only negative feedback I've received (obviously from those ignorant of proper sound signals) is that I'm "showing off" the Kahlenberg horns' beautiful sound.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:18   #40

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i've been hailed many times by large yachts, and once by a u.s. coast guard bouy tender, advising me of their intention to pass on the icw. it's always worked out well.

i said large yachts because it has been my experience that, the larger the boat, the more courteous the captain.
That's it in a nutshell.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35   #41

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot

Doing the "staande mast route" in the Netherlands and being overtaken. By the way, is the ICW so narrow?

heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59   #42

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

In some cuts even narrower.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29   #43

Boat: PSC 34
Loved the rant. I say use the horn, help those with head up a** to get their head outside the cockpit.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02   #44

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Perhaps you may have inadvertently hit on the nub of the problem. Drivers not sailors.

Nor do sailors own the waterway
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15   #45

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A Men to post #1. As a delivery Capt it is my pet peeve as well!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote