Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 14:01   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: A little rant

I think those USCG lettering requirements apply only to USCG documented vessels, not to state registered vessels.

Someone check me on that, but it lurks in my brain for some reason. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:04   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I think those USCG lettering requirements apply only to USCG documented vessels, not to state registered vessels.

Someone check me on that, but it lurks in my brain for some reason. . . .
You're correct.
Old 02-12-2013, 14:08   #18

Over here, we mostly dodge/approach wakes as best we can.

Old 02-12-2013, 14:24   #19

Wink Re: A little rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

Can you read the font?
Not really - it's blocked by your swim ladder :-) But at least your dinghy is out of the way.

On the one hand I understand everyone's "chill out" sentiment. It's boating, after all. But at the same time I don't think we should all just accept everything as it is when things can clearly be improved upon. Pushing things to be better is how the world improves.

Interestingly, and I was surprised by this, way more of the power boaters were on the radio and following protocol than the sail boats. I expected the opposite. And the worst sail boats appeared to be the catamarans. Not sure what to make of it, but that's what I observed. Now I've probably really pissed people off......
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:31   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

What goes up one side,down one side and across your stern.Your Name.Law
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Interestingly, and I was surprised by this, way more of the power boaters were on the radio and following protocol than the sail boats. I expected the opposite. And the worst sail boats appeared to be the catamarans. Not sure what to make of it, but that's what I observed. Now I've probably really pissed people off......
Yes you have. My 24-foot pocket cutter had no radio, depth finder, GPS, or radar. I operate under the assumption that boaters are distracted, blind, deaf, and ignorant unless otherwise demonstrated. Sailboats typically have weak electrical capacity to support electrically-dependent devices. Not so much an issue with powerboats.

Old 02-12-2013, 14:44   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
On the one hand I understand everyone's "chill out" sentiment. It's boating, after all. But at the same time I don't think we should all just accept everything as it is when things can clearly be improved upon. Pushing things to be better is how the world improves.

Rants don't improve anything. Not even blood pressure. If you can improve what goes on in the waterway I'd be the first to salute you. I suggest acceptance is the best approach here. Om..Om...Om.
Old 02-12-2013, 14:56   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
You mean pushing things to be better for you personally, don't you? Having our name on our bows using the font of our choice is better for us, but you rant about that.

Nothing you have ranted about has been illegal or even discourteous. Or a problem in anyway. It just doesn't fit the way you want the world to be.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you seem a bit green about this ICW thing. If you are going any further into the world, you really need to learn some chill techniques. There are plenty other things that are not illegal or discourteous you will be encountering.

Like old naked people doing yoga on their deck.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:03   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

No Name? What's wrong with "southbound sailboat at marker 24" ? I've been hailed that way many times, not always at marker 24.
Old 02-12-2013, 15:16   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

A lot of sailboats with dinghies on stern davits have the name painted on the quarters. There's a reason for this.

Should you desire to pass such a boat, one short blast communicates that you wish to pass to starboard of the overtaken vessel. Two short blasts communicates that you wish to pass to port. As a general practice, if I want to indicate that you can pass safely, rather than responding with the appropriate sound signal, I'll just wave you around.

Most boaters on the ICW will actually understand those signals.
Old 02-12-2013, 15:27   #26

Boat: csy 37

i've been hailed many times by large yachts, and once by a u.s. coast guard bouy tender, advising me of their intention to pass on the icw. it's always worked out well.

i said large yachts because it has been my experience that, the larger the boat, the more courteous the captain.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:41   #27

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I can sympathize with TwistedTree. And to those who suggested --"get a life" well just maybe they would have other comments if it was their goat getting gored.

I see similar "get a life" attitudes daily on interstate highways I travel. People who get into the fast lanes and creep along at or just below the posted speed limits frustrating other drivers. And to those who might respond..... ranting that cars should not exceed the posted limits, you're part of the problem. Around here driving at the speed limit in fast lanes just might cause your car to be rear ended.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:48   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
As a general practice, if I want to indicate that you can pass safely, rather than responding with the appropriate sound signal, I'll just wave you around.

Most boaters on the ICW will actually understand those signals.
Is that the one finger wave?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 16:17   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I can sympathize with TwistedTree. And to those who suggested --"get a life" well just maybe they would have other comments if it was their goat getting gored.

I see similar "get a life" attitudes daily on interstate highways I travel. People who get into the fast lanes and creep along at or just below the posted speed limits frustrating other drivers. And to those who might respond..... ranting that cars should not exceed the posted limits, you're part of the problem. Around here driving at the speed limit in fast lanes just might cause your car to be rear ended.

Foggy
We have traveled many times up and down the ICW. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but none of the points in TT's rant were illegal or discourteous. Conversely, traveling slow in a passing lane is discourteous and illegal in many places.

If motoring down the ICW is making one rant, one should readjust quickly or go back home. It doesn't get any different further on.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 16:32   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If motoring down the ICW is making one rant, one should readjust quickly or go back home. It doesn't get any different further on.
Or perhaps take a flyer offshore. Nothing cures the rants like fifty fathoms of freedom beneath the keel.