Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 05:58   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

I realize this probably won't go over well with some of you, but I have been an on again, off again participant here for a number of years. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to write about it.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: A Few Thoughts About Those Online Sailing Forums

Feel free to leave your comments either here or on the post.
Old 22-05-2016, 06:52   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

when i started this stuff, it was done, not squawked about.
there were some few books i didnt read, there were neighbors with info--they were interesting, and some info sticks... but there was no interweb facilitation and whiners club.
then there became interwebzzz. some forums/fora were designed with like mineded souls in mind. cars--hay i got one-- meet folks in similar mindsets.
and then there are sailing forums. now we find many questions never before dreamed up.
used to be one walked docks to find boats and spoke with the folks on docks about said boats. now folks query up in forums.
we have turned from going and doing to sitting and squawking.
quite a change.
i prefer the doing part, but we in port repairing, so.......
and occasionally, someone like minaret adds a wonderful bit of info for repairing a boat correctly.
and then there is jeff hartjoy. wow. he did it.
this i can get behind. and with.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 21:59   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Now that I pulled the trigger, I find almost no time to come back to this forum.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 22:55   #4

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Seems a reasonable article to me. Most forums have extremists, I equate them to religious fundamentalists, their way is the only way and they cannot consider that the way someone else does it may be as good, if not better, than their way.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:51   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I realize this probably won't go over well with some of you, but I have been an on again, off again participant here for a number of years. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to write about it.

What is the sound of one hand clapping? Congratulations on your spiritual enlightenment. Nirvana is complete. However, there are a great deal of us who have cruised extensively in the past and continue to cruise in the present who believe CF provides an excellent continuing education in matters large and small, intellectual discussions that challenge one's preconceived notions and beliefs and an interesting mix of topics for personal enjoyment. I hope I never experience the feeling, in matters philosophical and practical, that I finally know everything. . . Love and Peace, Captain Rognvald in Lotus position . . . Ommmm . . . . Ommmm . . . Ommmmmmm.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:22   #6

Quote:

Will do.

From your blog: "The premise is usually that incident X of piracy justifies carrying a gun aboard. Setting aside attacks off the Somalia coast (of which there have been virtually none since 2009, the year of the Maersk Alabama hijacking that inspired the film Captain Philips), the incidents of piracy at sea are so small as to be almost nonexistent."

December 2015; S/V Sea Wolf [Caribbean, Part 1 of 3 (from 5:38)]:

Three weeks ago; S/V La Vagabond (passage to Galapagos):

Happens often, with many more reported incidents should you care to search.

Throwing cans of corn appeared to work for La Vagabond. Sea Wolf captain states that having weapons on board saved their lives. Do whatever you wish, but we prefer to be armed.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38   #7

Boat: Mirage 35

(Perhaps) to the OP's point, this looks like it's already at risk of degenerating into a guns thread.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Seems a reasonable article to me. Most forums have extremists, I equate them to religious fundamentalists, their way is the only way and they cannot consider that the way someone else does it may be as good, if not better, than their way.
As long as one always keeps an open mind.
"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." Muhammad Ali

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
(Perhaps) to the OP's point, this looks like it's already at risk of degenerating into a guns thread.
Beginning on paragraph three of the OP's linked page (his page) he's writing about attacks at sea and guns.

So, I guess ............ you're right.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:59   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Well you're not alone. I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. Only one line that I disagree with..."To land lubbers, it probably seems like an exceedingly naive query. Indeed, it seems so to most sailors, too".I think a strong majority of CF members are armchair, non sailboat owners. They develop a sense of self importance through a forum. The whole situation is harmless however as I would assume 99% of "I'm going to buy a sailboat and sail around the world with my family", never get the boat.
I've been tempted to print on this forum exactly what you stated on your blog. I never thought of doing it the way you had, on your blog and should have.
Further back in my blog, I did however, map out a path for people to buy an inexpensive vessel and go sailing now. Adventures of Joli' Elle: What you really need to go cruising Or Is this love or boat envy
However, I doubt one new comer found it inspiring.
You were spot on about the "gun thing" and the country that perpetuates it.
I appreciate your starting the thread...CS
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Beginning on paragraph three of the OP's linked page (his page) he's writing about attacks at sea and guns.

So, I guess ............ you're right.
As I think you are aware...AnglaisInHull is referring to the comments from the right thinking people on this thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-06-2016, 11:35   #12

Great blog post. I enjoy hearing the different opinions as I am in the research mode. I especially like advice from those who are actually doing it. That's the great thing about these forums, you take what resonates with you and leave the rest. I have seen many get upset but I guess I just don't understand about getting so worked up over ones opinion. I try to keep an open mind and understand there are many types of people in this world that can open my mind to a different way of thinking.
As a non experienced sailer, piracy scared me before I started doing research. Now, not so much but at the same time because of my fear, I was curious to the gun thing. I have owned guns and been a hunter my entire life. I do not recruit anyone to my way of thinking. I seriously needed more information. However, I will not be taking any advice surrounding it here. The threads on the subject are a bit too passionate for my liking and have come to the conclusion that I will silently make that decision. I am a gun owning American and any assumption about the type of person I am without talking with me first...well your loss because I'm actually caring, funny and quite goofy. I have never fit into a category and I sure the heck will not start now!
I need people like you who are out there doing this deal because that is how I do my research to make the best decisions I can. I am a risk taker and would be fine selling it all and figuring it out along the way. My other half is a planner so until he is ready...I research.
If anything else you have introduced me to your blog so Thank You!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 07:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well you're not alone. I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. Only one line that I disagree with..."To land lubbers, it probably seems like an exceedingly naive query. Indeed, it seems so to most sailors, too".I think a strong majority of CF members are armchair, non sailboat owners. They develop a sense of self importance through a forum. The whole situation is harmless however as I would assume 99% of "I'm going to buy a sailboat and sail around the world with my family", never get the boat.
I've been tempted to print on this forum exactly what you stated on your blog. I never thought of doing it the way you had, on your blog and should have.
Further back in my blog, I did however, map out a path for people to buy an inexpensive vessel and go sailing now. Adventures of Joli' Elle: What you really need to go cruising Or Is this love or boat envy
However, I doubt one new comer found it inspiring.
You were spot on about the "gun thing" and the country that perpetuates it.
I appreciate your starting the thread...CS
I've just read your post. Pretty much everything you said matches my plan. At the moment I'm a dreamer. I have a 9 year old kid so I hope to be out of the rat race by the time she's at college age and has less need for her Daddy. Any advice for someone that's thinking of buying a house this year? Cheap market here now. I'm not expecting to get rich from property but if I could cash out in 10 years with a bit of a cushion I'd be happy.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 08:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
I've just read your post. Pretty much everything you said matches my plan. At the moment I'm a dreamer. I have a 9 year old kid so I hope to be out of the rat race by the time she's at college age and has less need for her Daddy. Any advice for someone that's thinking of buying a house this year? Cheap market here now. I'm not expecting to get rich from property but if I could cash out in 10 years with a bit of a cushion I'd be happy.

If you stick with it, for 10 years, you'll probably find you will not need to sell the house but rather rent it out so you have something to come back to. But realistically, a lot happens in 10 years. Think back 10 years and see how different it might look than now.
Old 13-06-2016, 08:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If you stick with it, for 10 years, you'll probably find you will not need to sell the house but rather rent it out so you have something to come back to. But realistically, a lot happens in 10 years. Think back 10 years and see how different it might look than now.
Thanks for the response. I'm on the lookout for the right bad house in a good neighbourhood so if I end up stuck in it for 20 years I'll be able to live with it. In Ireland we've just been through a massive boom bust cycle (like everywhere else I suppose) so there is a lot of couples stuck in small 'starter' homes that they have outgrown and can't sell.

Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forums, rum