Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 17:15   #46

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: A challenge, a mission, one last chance...

OP, what is your compeling story that would make sponsors want to contribute? Do you have type 2 diabetes? Does someone you know?

Lacking any signficant sailing experience or compeling story its hard to get others excited about your cause.

The mention of Dove reminded me of a friend of mine. He sailed solo RTW on a Tiki 21 catamaran he built. Like Dove, a compeling story in itself. To my knowledge he had no sponsors, but was (and is) a hell of a sailor already.

http://www.roryandcookie.com/

Rory's RTW was about as bare bones and micro budget as it gets.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 17:42   #47

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Wow! That's a great link Belizesailor. I love the brass mouth horn for a fog horn.
Old 13-04-2017, 18:03   #48

Boat: Lots of boats.

I'm still stuck on watchmaker. I suppose there are plenty of them at the factory, but I don't know a lot of people that still wear watches and those that do, didn't pay a lot for them. Sort of like business suits. I wear mine at weddings and funerals. And lately, I haven't worn a suit at either.

Within eyesight, I am sitting in a room with 5 time pieces. All of them say the same thing. I guess you could fix diving watches, but I see lots more dive computers tied to people's wrists and they are around $300 and non-repairable (for the most part). I would think you would make more fixing diesels and electrical systems on boats than fixing the occasional watch.

You need to spend some time crashing through 10 footers (or higher) before making your decision. I think too many people think crossing an ocean is like hitting a few wakes on Lake Meade. My very first time on blue water saw swells that created water bowls with 15 foot sides and I didn't crash through anything. Smooth as silk, but just this little taste of highs and lows gave me a new awareness and respect for wind and wave. And the seas often come at you from different directions. In a small boat, you are in constant adjustment hoping the whole time you don't catch a big one from the side.

Good cause. But saying versus doing take very different levels of commitment. You will blow through $20K in a weekend preparing for an ocean voyage. I've worked the numbers on various boats through the years and it just doesn't add up. Up and down the coast, perhaps a jump to the Bahamas is doable with a $15-20K boat, and plenty of people do that trip with lesser boats, but crossing oceans? Good luck!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 18:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Wow! That's a great link Belizesailor. I love the brass mouth horn for a fog horn.
Yeah, Cookie was a VERY basic boat.

Rory & Cookie paricipated in the Jester Cup a few years back too (solo trans Atlantic).

Now, there is a compelling story.
Old 13-04-2017, 18:43   #50

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I will disagree solo is the hardest thing. Sailing with a crew that pisses you off could be harder yet. No?

barnakiel
I think this has the most promise. Buy a small boat, put it in perilous high-stress situations, and fill it with people totally at odds: a racist, a far left progressive, a far right conservative, a very out LGBTQ person, and an alien (Martian or illegal, preferably both, I guess). Record, and rather than sponsorships, sell it as a reality show. People seem to eat that up on TV all the time.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 19:16   #51

Boat: Catalina 350

You need to think in marketing terms. Simplistically "First find a sponsor who will lend you a boat, then a sailmaker who can include sponsors' logo's etc on the sails". Then approach other sponsors for cash or in-kind now that you have a 'product' to sell them.

If you link up with a charity focussed on this disease they would likely assist in marketing your project. Also look at who has done this or similar missions before for other charities, contact them and ask them to talk thru what they had to do.

Best of luck,

Alex
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 19:24   #52

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
1980 Bayfield 29 | sailboats | St. Catharines | Kijiji

Stop thinking about sailing around the whole world. Think about where you are, and the next place you need to go. One step at a time, but always in the right direction.

You need a solidly built full displacement boat with a full keel and keel hung rudder. Start with the right boat, and take it from there.

And start reading. I suggest you start at the beginning with Joshua Slocums famous book. Then Dove, and a few of the many other great books about sailing around the world. You can learn a lot from those who went before you...like which way to go around Cape Horn.

Good luck.
I agree that you need the right boat, but a Bayfield 29 is far from being the right boat. No offence meant to B29 owners but this is not a boat for a serious (non trade wind) rtw. Not really very good for a trade wind one either. The right boat does not need to have a full keel, with a keel hung rudder. Most of the boats we encountered on our travels were not this configuration and they were doing fine. We met some young French people who had taken an older, fin keel 31 footer to Antarctica without a problem. If I was looking for a cheap boat for an adventure like this it might be a Vega, or possibly something like a Bristol 27, although your budget is very, very tight, especially for a Vega.

A comment about your route. With the kind of boat you can afford you cannot go around the world south of the capes going westward. The boat cannot do it and a sailor would have to be the reincarnation of Moitessier to even have a chance. Going eastward is a better idea since you will at least be going with the prevailing winds and currents. Note that I said a better idea, not a good idea. This is a huge undertaking and you need a lot more knowledge and experience to tackle it - even with a crew, forget about solo. I have been sailing for more than 40 years, have done close to 50,000 nm offshore and have a powerful, well-built 45 footer that is set up for short-handed, offshore sailing and I would not tackle a roaring 40s circumnavigation since I don't think I am experienced enough. I think Ainia would be OK though.

My only experience with the part of the ocean you are talking about is between Mauritius and Richards Bay, South Africa (actually you would be a bit south of this area, so nastier still). Normal winds were 35 to 45 knots and this was in the middle of the summer with a good forecast. When an average frontal system comes through the winds frequently exceed 50 knots. We were Ok bashing through this crap with our 40,000 pounds, can't imagine what it would be like in a much smaller boat. We had friends in a 33 footer who were hove-to for six days waiting for the right conditions to cross the Agulhas Current, where the sailing directions suggest that waves to 20 m occur.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it would be irresponsible not to do so.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:21   #53

Boat: Currently in between

Rum, after reading your more detailed description of the plan I side with Hamburking that it is doable. You seem to realize it won't happen this year or next, it is some time in the future after learning a bit more and building the kitty somewhat.

I say build the kitty because my thoughts on this is to forget the sponsors. It will be difficult to find enough to keep you going and how dependable are they? Some might pull their sponsorship while your in the middle of the So. Pacific.

Build your kitty and go it on your own, not necessarily physically but at least financially. Document the journey well, not by blog or vlog, and upon your return write a book. If you elect to film it all (film?? ha, digitally capture) then produce a little mini-series or a feature and sell that.

Any and all funds raised could then be donated to your cause. The money is then vice-versa, they don't support you, you support them!
Old 14-04-2017, 07:39   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I think this has the most promise. Buy a small boat, put it in perilous high-stress situations, and fill it with people totally at odds: a racist, a far left progressive, a far right conservative, a very out LGBTQ person, and an alien (Martian or illegal, preferably both, I guess). Record, and rather than sponsorships, sell it as a reality show. People seem to eat that up on TV all the time.
There ya go! Now that would generate buzz in our [Un]Reality TV era.

Funny story related to Reality TV. We were anchored in a remote area and an episode of Survivor was being filmed on a nearby island.Cast/Crew flew in by copter each day to film. By lunch time the cast was eating and drinking beer at the same little local beach bar as us!
Old 14-04-2017, 07:56   #55

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There ya go! Now that would generate buzz in our [Un]Reality TV era.

Funny story related to Reality TV. We were anchored in a remote area and an episode of Survivor was being filmed on a nearby island.Cast/Crew flew in by copter each day to film. By lunch time the cast was eating and drinking beer at the same little local beach bar as us!
Heh, a guy I worked with was surfing in the USVI and managed to convince one of the 'stars' of a reality show filming there to take him home. Little did he know her room was full of cameras ... But, he did get on TV, for what that's worth
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:07   #56

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

It's possible to sail RTW with a starting budget of 20K. As the examples above demonstrate. The vital point is that you need to make it go right. You will need to confront and handle a multitude of problems. The more money you have the easier the solutions. Less money requires more ability. That's OK, confronting and handling problems can be fun and it is satisfying.

Regards the boat, it will have to be fairly small. Costs for most things on a boat go up exponentially with size. Make sure the boat is strong. NOT a light weight recreational toy, which most small sailboats are.

You've got a lot to learn, and do. It can be a great adventure, or a failure, and the deciding factor will be, of course, you. I hope you have a great time with it.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:26   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A challenge, a mission, one last chance...

Check out the adventures of Mingming and Mingming 2 here... Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:37   #58

Buried in posts again! Time to crach this... also, anyone know how to edit already written posts?

Stumble
: The... wrong way? *does another few hours of research, comes back crestfallen* RIGHT. So, despite almost five months of hard research, NONE of my sources mentioned this. Apparently, yeah... wrong way. *sighs* Alright, West to East it is then. Im adventurous, not insane. I was hoping for hula girls and tropical islands early on, but I guess we can deal with Africa and India first.

Sea Dreaming : Is it wrong I find that more daunting than going around the world? I mean, I would LOVE to do that. Like you would not believe. But ooooh booooy. Im gonna need ALOT more experience under my ass for that. Definitely gonna have to reach out to people who did this.

boatman61 : *laughs* Now THAT sounds like crazy... but thats the sort of crazy Im looking for and need. Thanks for the tip, Ill definitely get in touch.

hamburking : Thanks for the support and encouragement. Honestly, it means more than you know. And like I said... Id LIKE a crew, but sorely lack one. So, Solo it is, I guess.

barnakiel : Would you be surprised to learn I barely use a facebook? Made one in Highschool, never really touched it since then. Nah, if we're going for any sort of showing off, its so tht when I'm grew haired and long toothed, I can pull out a picture album and go "SEE, Grampa was a total badass when he was younger."

Though, the moment I find a tropical island with cute hula girls who think a white skinned, bright blue eyed American is snusnu worthy... the whole plan is off. See yeah gents, Im making anchor and not leaving. XD

But yes, I would LOVE a blueprint. Ill PM you in a bit.

Stumble
: HAH! Jokes on you, Im already insane. I look at cogs, wheels, and springs all day and stopped breaking down sobbing clutching a bottle of whiskey a year ago.

buzzstar : Well, funny thing about that, Buzzstar... there actually IS a route, albeity, a very cold one. Tough, rather sketchy. There's a straight line of ocean from Norway to Antartica. One COULD use that, and then skim through the atlantic. Buuuuuut chances for resupply are slim to none with that.

belizesailor : I GOTTA find out how to edit those opening posts...

But thats for the heads up. Ill totally look into it. Serious convo though, monohulls are better for this sort of thing than Catamaran's right? For some reason, I look at a cat and think... "That is not safe".

hsi88 : We're a rare breed! If it helps, it also gave a GREAT background in machine work, and elctrical circuitry. I was trained for everything; from making the watch parts, to polishing, to programming the motherboards, to changing batteries. Im no professional electrician, but I do know my way around wires.

brownoarsman : ATTENTION EVERYONE. WE'RE SCRAPPING THIS CIRCUMNAVIGATION PLAN. THIS GUY RIGHT HERE? THIS PLAN IS GOING TO MAKE US STINKIN' RICH. WHO ELSE WANTS IN ON THIS?

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. XD

AiniA : Do NOT apologize! This is exactly the sort of information I need, good and bad. This is all most certainly in the feasibility stages, but what I need is experience. I need someone to say, "I've sailed these waters in this boat, and this is what I'vehad" or "For your money, I would recommend this vessel for these reasons.". If you're able to say "This plan is unfeasible the way it is" and can actually give me reasons from experience other than a line or two telling me it is just is, I respect that more than you know. Im here to learn and get advice, not bullheadedly rush into things.

SV Bacchus : Thank you for the support and for the clever ideas. Definitely giving me options for this. In regards to building the kitty though... Unfortunately... I am on a bit of a time restraint for this trip. Oh, certainly not this year, or even the next. But... Id like to achieve this while my father is still alive. I will NEVER be able to afford a "pro" boat in the hundreds of thousands without outside help.

....I now imagine boat just covered in GoPros. Are GoPros, Fiberglass, or Aluminum the best hull for a boat? XD
Abottleofrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:46   #59

You do know that you don't need to actually respond to every post in a thread, right?

Personally, my take on this is......a 25 y.o. millennial who's disenfranchised with working in the real world and looking for a clever way to convince people to pay for the lifestyle we've all been working decades to achieve.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:49   #60

Boat: Boatless

"Hence, the need to reach out to you folks; people WITH the personal experience."

Thoughts on crewing an ocean crossing?

Here's why I ask again. I've met several over the years who dreamt of long ocean passages, my father was one of them.

Time went by, his son began living out the father's dreams and the father found himself sitting onboard his son's Hughes Northstar 40 (purchased on a shoestring budget and out there cruising most of the year at a young age) with plans to head from Fajardo PR to FL with a stop in the Bahamas. Downwind work for the most part and fairly straightforward.

He lasted about 10 miles........to be fair it was sloppy out and the weather was so so but......the reality and the dream met.

He did meet us mid pacific and sailed from Tahiti to Bora Bora with us, that was on a catamaran, different animal ;-)

Not to discourage but rather encourage to get some sea miles under ones belt.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote