Happy St-Valentine's Day
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 13:18   #32

Boat: been sitting it out
Re: a captain’s dying wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by svRaison d Etre View Post
Happy St-Valentine's Day
and what a conversation for valentine's day!
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 13:22   #33

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I suggest you read That Goodnight by Richard Probert. Very insightful novel about an elderly man, a sailor who confronts his own and other people’s mortality.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 13:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I suggest you read That Goodnight by Richard Probert. Very insightful novel about an elderly man, a sailor who confronts his own and other people’s mortality.
Very good. thank you
Old 14-02-2021, 13:25   #35

Boat: Flamingo 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
and what a conversation for valentine's day!
It's about LOVE so a propos
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 16:11   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, all, and hi, Wolfie,

"Sam" may really just need someone he trusts to talk to, before his body gets down to the grim business of dying. Our bodies try to keep on living. A little over 2 years ago, Jim and I (and other family members) attended his beloved sister's dying. It was not expected, but we had about a week's time to get to her after she had suddenly collapsed at home, and was ambulanced to the hospital.

Part of what you need to consider is how the laws of your country look at someone taking their own life, and how you are involved in that if you do not mention it to some agency. You do not want to find yourself legally responsible if "Sam" decides to go through with his plan. Where I used to live, one was expected to report to the police if someone were a danger to himself or others.

Other than a possible legal obligation, you need to choose how much involvement you really want to have with "Sam" at this point. Being involved in someone's dying is an extremely intimate thing, and a giant energy suck, and could suck you pretty dry. When you let him go, before, maybe you didn't let him go all the way? Think really carefully whether it is to your benefit to resume a relationship at this point. Of course, you'd like to help him, but can you do it without getting seriously torn up? And get really clear if you're willing to sacrifice yourself for him at this point in your life, just why that might be. Don't minimize the potential costs to yourself. You don't owe it to him to take him back now. You broke up with him for good reasons. He could get therapy, if he wants a "friend".

I understand you would like to help him for auld lang syne, and just to be a kind person, and the more I think about it, I'm afraid I don't think it is a good idea. Dying is a profound and upsetting process, all by itself, and if you really think after all you've been warned, that you want to be involved, you might find you're getting a whole lot more than you bargained for.

It sounds from what you have written like "Sam" wanted an admirer, not a soul mate.

Ann
Old 14-02-2021, 17:11   #37

I cannot ascribe any motivation for 'Sam's' actions or thoughts, hell I'm seldom aware of mine.
Your description of 'Sam' is pretty much what I've heard about myself for years.
Like many of us I have had to answer similar questions as you now face.

It will be one of the most difficult things you will ever do, whatever you decide.

Only you can decide to set aside the standards you hold yourself to, and openly ask 'How can I help you?'

May you find peace with your decision.
J.D.
JDBeckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 17:38   #38

This isn’t going to be popular but no one else dying wish may not be your wish and to a certain extend, isn’t your problem when challenging your moral aptitude, the law or your financial well being. If it doesn’t challenge these then do what you can to meet them. Address the request and try to compromise the wish to meet both parties needs.
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 17:58   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

In the words of Popeye .. Iyam wot Iyam an thats all that Iyam.

Do whatever allows you to sleep with a clear consicence.
Old 14-02-2021, 18:37   #40

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Chotu, what an experience!!! thank you so much for sharing this! and very thankful that you are here to share it. did someone give you CPR? did someone save your life or did you find yourself on land and your body coughed (if that's possible)?

actually i'm relieved to hear how drawing can be and thankful of your insights. you write about it well too. yes, i've often wondered if it could be this way..., often. (does everyone ponder these things?)

what an interesting conversation this has been... i'm amazed.

thank you!
I’m glad my experience could be of some help.

No CPR. I was a kid at the time. I was trying to swim back from the big kids’ raft thing way out in the lake. I got tired and went under. I’m a sinker. Once the air is out of my lungs, even more so. Went straight to the bottom, which wasn’t very far.

After the vision loss and nothingness, I found myself upside down hanging by my ankles coughing up water like crazy. An adult thankfully saw me go under and saved me. They held me upside down to help drain out water. After coughing up all the water and regaining consciousness, I just went about playing or whatever.

Your friend definitely needs to think this through. Hopefully, you can help him see some of the missing bits on his plan.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 19:27   #41

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Take out the engine, the batteries, and any other potentially toxic stuff. Fill it with food, booze, whatever floats your boat (for a while anyway) and then sink it someplace (please!)
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 22:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post

Take out the engine, the batteries, and any other potentially toxic stuff. Fill it with food, booze, whatever floats your boat (for a while anyway) and then sink it someplace (please!)
oh yes, a very good choice!
Old 14-02-2021, 23:16   #43

Thanks god that in Canada we have assisted suicide, when I will become an embarrassment to myself I will choose to go on my terms and let somebody else enjoy my boat. But in countries where there is no other option sailing away might me the only option.

Not an easy situation.

Stay strong.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 23:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Hello, all, and hi, Wolfie,

Ann
Good morning Ann,

you are always so wise... thanks for this.

no worry, i am staying very much on the periphery of this story, having spoken on the phone, sent text messages. small things (simple kindness) to follow up on a long conversation involving his stories of doctors and hospitals and pain and treatments (oh my! do avoid!).

and no, i'm not inclined to engage, as there was never a high level of emotional connection, just friendship (at least on my behalf). i just needed to talk about the things i cannot say to him directly (like please do not pollute the ocean and please make someone else's life wonderful by donating your boat). i cannot say these things and will not and greatly appreciate being able to discuss my frustration with others here. it does help.

as for rules and regs, he's got this covered, has residency in a couple of places, can manage a calculated eclipse... i'm not nearby, so will in no way be present. i may not even ever know if he does it and when. and, this is a good thing for me as far as rules and regs go (these days folks cannot tell others of their plans without implicating them), but it does also mean that any last farewell will not be able to happen in that timely, meaningful way.

i once got drunk (super rare occurrence but well worth it in this case) with a woman my mother's age (we are still very close, which is wonderful) who lost her husband to suicide... she kept going over all of the different lies he told all the different people who loved him, so to succeed. she had to go back and forth and back and forth just to make the smallest of sense. it was as though she was stranded in a labyrinth, unable to find her way. i accompanied her there, in those painful bits and pieces of memory, as i could. years later, she was the only person who really understood when i was faced with my own tragic loss.

and unsaid farewells can linger. i haven't lived in my home country in ages, so, for a while there, it was easy not notice how so many must have passed at some moment. you know, like a school teacher, university professor, a friend's parents, and one's own friends... all those people who were there, seemingly permanent fixtures of my young person's world.

not knowing is just something we all accept but we can and do wonder about from time to time. so often now, when on public transport, i look around at all the souls there and imagine which may be around in X number of years (and how these remaining will not think twice of those who are absent - life is so much more fleeting without memory). i take note, even here on CF, when some voices fade away and others take their place... so, here too, i appreciate this conversation, to tackle the way to muster a personal farewell so that the not-knowing will not linger about, flutter in and out, in between my thoughts.

and now, following a very honest and supportive conversation on here last night (this space has lots of good folk!) and a good night's sleep, i awoke with a thought:

do you remember how your mind/body reacted when about to go through revolving doors for the first time? i remember clearly, was a kid in NYC and the huge doors moved fast and spun about with a certain, winter-time, busy-body violence. i remember how i paused for second, took stock of my own feet (shoes even) and where i was, given the timing of the doors.

well, this morning i kind of equated this type of experience to that of a person who realises he/she has just months to live. i imagined that, when confronted with a death sentence, we ask ourselves many quick-n-tough questions so to gage our position and take stock of our step/rhythm from there to here. there is that deep second of fear, in which we know we are being stunned, like a deer in the headlights, when the back of our heads wake up and make our bodies brace. at this moment, everything speeds up: our imaginations provide quick glimpses of the possible hiccups that could take place once we step into the revolving doors. and if we are with someone, others, we gage the separation from them as we step through... first. at last, when we feel the moment has arrived (and we realise it is our turn to step through), we try to sink into/hold onto a settled feeling, before taking one last, deep, lifting breath of hope.

i imagine that, when so close to the revolving doors of death, the measuring/gaging we do has a whole lot to do with finding that settled feeling of peace: peace with ourselves, with others, with our past, with what we never did (regrets), with world at large, with the doors themselves, with the fear and potential pain or loss of it...

so, maybe the need for peace becomes so great that it drives every thought and action...? perhaps. perhaps this is th mental work we do when we lose everything. and perhaps peace is the only thing the living can 'give' to a dying soul.

i think i understand something that i did not understand before.
thank you Ann. you are always there for me! i appreciate it!
Old 14-02-2021, 23:42   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Thanks god that in Canada we have assisted suicide, when I will become an embarrassment to myself I will choose to go on my terms and let somebody else enjoy my boat. But in countries where there is no other option sailing away might me the only option.

Not an easy situation.

Stay strong.
Canada has much merit! agree!!!

thanks!

Tags
captain