Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 12:06   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: 8-24 quake at napa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtunison View Post
Anyone know if boats have fallen or been damaged at napa valley marina?

Napa Valley Marina Rides Out Quake

August 27, 2014 – Napa, CA

"USGS shows the red dot right under our building," said Napa Valley Marina co-owner Tom Giovannoni of Sunday morning's 6.0 earthquake that destroyed several buildings in downtown Napa. The marina, which includes a lot of dry storage and a boatyard, is located southwest of town.

The marina building suffered some cracked drywall but no major damage. However, like many Napa businesses, they lost a lot of wine – as well as paint and hardware – which tumbled off their store shelves.

Tom reassures customers that all the sailboats are fine, as are the docks and the boats in the water. A few aluminum herring boats fell off their blocks but suffered little harm. "My computer, which was on the floor, flipped 180 degrees," said manager Kirby Long. "I don't know how it could do that."

Despite ongoing, somewhat startling aftershocks, the power's back on, the phones and the well are working, and Napa Valley Marina is open for business as usual.

- latitude / chris

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 13:48   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: 8-24 quake at napa

gtunison,

I apologize if I offended you by not responding to the intention of your OP (to find out if your boat were okay). I could not at that time find anything about conditions at the marina. I'm an ex-Californian who has been through a number of earthquakes, including an earthquake in a harbor. My immediate concern was for the liveaboard sailor, sailorchic, and her welfare, hence the comment about the water supply.

I am glad that Fastbttms posted the info for you that the sailboats are all okay, including yours. Illinois is a long way from Napa, and one is so helpless at a distance from their boat. And indeed, I am quite far from the US, too, and did not know what info would be available to someone near Napa living on a sailboat.

Still, sorry for the thread drift.

Ann