Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 17:33   #16

Boat: Catalina 30 / 46' Bayliner Avanti
Re: 30' Sailboat purchase

Oy too late. I'm committed on this one

Gave it a bit of a wash yesterday. The deck looking pretty good. I started the engine again on my own.

The halyards are going to be tricky. I could put it on the hard for about $50 a day and something like a $500 or $600 haul out fee. I'd like to avoid this and spend that budget on the sails instead. Not in a hurry to haul-out as I'd need to take a week off work to make it worth while for the bottom paint.

Not sure how to get up there yet. There are 3 metal halyards that go all the way to the top. I don't know how they're secured so not risking it. In addition to that - there's the roller furling and the backstay.

One creative way to do it is to install mast steps on the way to the top. Or park it in some mud and let the tide go out

Interesting problem...
newbie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 18:57   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

At $25 bucks a piece every 15 inches over 40 feet , besides being stupid dangerous with out a halyard for safety , it isn't cheaper ! And that still isn't addressing whatever is going on with the head stay.
Haul the boat and pull the rig and fix it right - The whole thing coming down on you , or worse, you falling from 3/4 of the way up isn't worth it !

And I say that having owned some real 'project' boats and doing some crazy stuff!
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 19:23   #18

Boat: Sabre 34II

Seems like you already jumped in so the following opinion will be useless but here it goes.

When I was boat shopping last summer I saw a few Catalina 30s - fine boats with good volume for a 30 footer and engine access is amazing. Most I saw were in a decent, sail-ready condition, a couple had upgraded electronics, renewed rigging, plumbing, etc, one even had a new Yanmar with < 50hrs on it! I could have had the best one for 10-12k, your boat's purchase does not make sense to me but I wish you all the best with the project, I hope you are able to bring it back to sail-ready condition "safely".

As the above poster suggested, please take proper precautions.

Best regards.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 19:27   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, take the mast down. You may be able to get away with having the crane at the yard, or a fish hoist, pull it and lay it on your deck and you MAY be able stay that way in your slip for a while. Or if there is boat storage near your harbor they may charge you a small fee to store it there on some saw horses or trailer for a month or so to work on it. (I did that where I am.) Replacing the standing rigging is a DIY. Do you have a rigging shop anywhere nearby? While it's down then you can do the halyards and check steaming, anchor lights, VHF antenna (run new cables if needed) etc. It's the best thing to do for sure. Check Bacon Sails in MD for used sails. You didn't mention if the engine had good water flow and normal running temp. after it ran for a while. Get the keel bolts checked too. I wish you luck! Now that it's yours, don't be too discouraged. They are a common boat and there is lots of help out there available from the current and former owners!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 19:28   #20

Boat: Mirage 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie- View Post

Gave it a bit of a wash yesterday. The deck looking pretty good. I started the engine again on my own.

The halyards are going to be tricky. I could put it on the hard for about $50 a day and something like a $500 or $600 haul out fee. I'd like to avoid this and spend that budget on the sails instead. Not in a hurry to haul-out as I'd need to take a week off work to make it worth while for the bottom paint.

Not sure how to get up there yet. There are 3 metal halyards that go all the way to the top. I don't know how they're secured so not risking it. In addition to that - there's the roller furling and the backstay.

One creative way to do it is to install mast steps on the way to the top. Or park it in some mud and let the tide go out

Interesting problem...
Don't spend a cent on this boat that you don't need to , maybe the market is different where you are but where I live a C30 in anything but Bristol condition is a boat you need to pay someone to dispose of .
Sail it till it falls apart but view every dollar and hour spent as entertainment money. Every penny you don't spend on this one will help pay for the next one.

Not trying to be mean, this is advice I wish I had taken on the first "bargain" keelboat I bought. Enjoy it for what it is and have fun!
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:55   #21

Quote:

Interesting problem...
Congrats to the new owner!
You shouldn't have to haul the boat to get the mast off. Most yards can take it off in the water under the lift.
Do that and rebuild that mast as required. No point in getting sails first if the rig's too dangerous to use.
-Free up the sheaves at the top as necessary and lubricate.
-Inspect the wire rig.
-Make sure the lights/wiring on the mast work.

I'm not sure where you are but if there's a rigging shop they may have a solution to retrieve the halyards.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:05   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Walk away.

well I guess you didn't walk away
Old 08-05-2020, 10:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
well I guess you didn't walk away
Very happy I didn't walk away

I'm discussing the rigging with some experts. It will be inspected.

Don't worry everyone, I'm not climbing up there. I don't like heights

I've actually owned Catalina 30s before. This is my first tall rig and first m20 engine. Lots of learning ahead. That's why I look for projects. Half here aren't worried and the other half say run. So I have to make a decision eventually. Let's see where this adventure takes me.

It's my 8th big boat and 4th project boat. I currently own 3. Two that I enjoy on the water and this one to bring back to life.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:24   #24

Quote:
Very happy I didn't walk away

I'm discussing the rigging with some experts. It will be inspected.

Don't worry everyone, I'm not climbing up there. I don't like heights

I've actually owned Catalina 30s before. This is my first tall rig and first m20 engine. Lots of learning ahead. That's why I look for projects. Half here aren't worried and the other half say run. So I have to make a decision eventually. Let's see where this adventure takes me.

It's my 8th big boat and 4th project boat. I currently own 3. Two that I enjoy on the water and this one to bring back to life.
Ah well then you have the best of both worlds! You can still sail and putter around on the project boat too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-05-2020, 00:05   #25

Boat: Lancer 36

Ah, so you are not actually a newbie......
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:26   #26

Boat: Mirage 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
Ah, so you are not actually a newbie......
no excuses then.

In my experience project boats always end of costing more than just buying one ready to go, at least if the project aspect means more than cleaning, minor repair/maintenance, and line replacement level work. Its just buying on the installment plan.

But lots of folks like boat work as much if not more than sailing. There is more than one youtube channel of some elderly person building a steel hull in the middle of a farm field that has never actually sailed. Me, I'd rather be on the water.

I'd part out those three project boats, sawzall the hulls, sell the lead from the keels to a scrapyard and buy a nicer boat. Doing that would probably net you 5-10 grand maybe more if all three have running diesels. A Catalina 30 was not a highend boat when it was new and it has not improved with age. Why buy a honda when you can get a BMW for the same price. If you buy an old honda civic and clean it up you are still left with an old honda civic. If you buy an old catalina/hunter or what have you in the end all you have is an old catalina/hunter when for the same (or only slightly higher) purchase price and the same restoration materials cost you could be cruising in a Tartan 30 or Islander 30. I see Sabre, C&C, Islander , Ericson , and Tartan 30s that could be had for 5 or 10 grand. These were boats that started out as middle to high end when new and have much better quality construction. Its a buyers market now.

Maybe some future dreamer will see this thread and learn from the advice given by numerous posters. Its hard on the internet to tell but I don't intend any of this to be mean-spirited.
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojonesbos View Post
no excuses then.

In my experience project boats always end of costing more than just buying one ready to go, at least if the project aspect means more than cleaning, minor repair/maintenance, and line replacement level work. Its just buying on the installment plan.

But lots of folks like boat work as much if not more than sailing. There is more than one youtube channel of some elderly person building a steel hull in the middle of a farm field that has never actually sailed. Me, I'd rather be on the water.

I'd part out those three project boats, sawzall the hulls, sell the lead from the keels to a scrapyard and buy a nicer boat. Doing that would probably net you 5-10 grand maybe more if all three have running diesels. A Catalina 30 was not a highend boat when it was new and it has not improved with age. Why buy a honda when you can get a BMW for the same price. If you buy an old honda civic and clean it up you are still left with an old honda civic. If you buy an old catalina/hunter or what have you in the end all you have is an old catalina/hunter when for the same (or only slightly higher) purchase price and the same restoration materials cost you could be cruising in a Tartan 30 or Islander 30. I see Sabre, C&C, Islander , Ericson , and Tartan 30s that could be had for 5 or 10 grand. These were boats that started out as middle to high end when new and have much better quality construction. Its a buyers market now.

Maybe some future dreamer will see this thread and learn from the advice given by numerous posters. Its hard on the internet to tell but I don't intend any of this to be mean-spirited.
Yep, and I'd only amend this by adding the Columbia 29 to your list
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-05-2020, 12:19   #28

Quote:
Why buy a honda when you can get a BMW for the same price.
Oh god. Don't do this. That's horrible advice

Quote:
I'd part out those three project boats, sawzall the hulls, sell the lead from the keels to a scrapyard and buy a nicer boat. Doing that would probably net you 5-10 grand maybe more if all three have running diesels. A Catalina 30 was not a highend boat when it was new and it has not improved with age.
Holy crap that's a lot of arrogance. It only speaks to your inexperience. Markets are different all over the world. Catalinas are much simpler than the "high end" boats. Less wood work, fewer electronics, less plumbing, less equipment, more practical systems.

And you're not really reading anything I didn't say I have 3 project boats. I have 1 project boat.. (but who doesn't have projects on their boat?

The others I enjoy regularly. My other 3 projects (sold) have been incredible memories and learning experiences. They're now being enjoyed by new owners.

All this 'superiority' stuff is crap.. Depending on your location, budget, needs, market, and intensions... there's always a tradeoff.

I personally prefer the Catalina 30 to nearly everything in the class. It's simply my opinion. They're the Hondas of the sea

My top Catalina hits..
  • The engine access is a dream. 360* from the comfort of the cabin.
  • Interior space is terrific.
  • Everything is easy to modify and access.
  • Fewer systems means there's less that will break.
  • It is the most popular 30' sailboat in the world by a huge margin - so:
  • Parts are inexpensive and available either direct from the manufacturer or second hand.
  • There's a strong 'aftermarket' upgrades marketplace.
  • Huge number of how-to resources and guides.

Would I sail off in to the ocean on a Catalina 30? No. But I wouldn't take anything under 42', a strong record, and experienced crew. Not that the Catalina couldn't do it.. since people have done much worse.

You did get one thing right. I enjoy projects. I'm a software engineer by career. I'm fortunate enough to afford a "new" boat. But I find boat projects to be fun and fulfilling.
Old 13-05-2020, 13:01   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I don't know what C30's are selling for but should be very easy to determine a value for the boat once you've done the work of fixing her up. Add up the cost of fixing everything that needs to be done. Mast will have to be dropped to replace the halyards unless you have a skyhook to to get to the mast head to re-reave them. Sails for a C30 aren't grossly expensive but will be an expense. If you have time, should be able to find used ones though new wouldn't break the bank but costs do add up.

Be sure the diesel starts easily when cold and runs without excessive smoke under load.

I'd ditch the wheel and hopefully they haven't butchered below decks installation. Catalina is still in business and actively supports their old boats. If the rudder is a common problem help will be there from them and certainly from the thousands of owners, so no small plus.

Since there are so many of these boats out there wouldn't take on a fixer upper unless the initial purchase price was a major factor. From experience, fixing a boat is never a cheap alternative. You get to spread out the cost over time, know the quality of the work you've done and get new-er accouterments but seldom cheaper than a boat already in good condition. If you are going to be keeping the boat for awhile can justify the cost of buying new stuff since you'll be using up a goodly portion of it's useful life.

I wouldn't waste money on a survey. Assume you'll be replacing stuff. Open all the hatches and crawl in spaces you thought were unaccessible (boat yoga) and look for things that don't seem right. You've already turned up some discrepancies and hopefully won't find many more. In the process you'll learn about the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 23:55   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am feeling glad that newbie (knot???) [pun intended], is going to involve a rigger.

Just look at that bent in the forestay, as it comes up from the sprit. Yikes! to sailmonkey and Little Wing 77. That whole sprit looks so suss to me that I don't have words for it, and the bent fitting--OMG!

Ann

Tags
boat, purchase, sail, sailboat