Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:22   #106

Boat: islandpacket
Re: 2GM Yanmar Oil in Exhaust

Did you just do a compression test, pull the head or both? I'm compiling for future reference. Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-12-2015, 14:37   #107

Boat: contessa 25 ( pre 1980)

Didn't do a compression test but pulled the head and filled oil in the cylinder over night, one cylinder leaked the oil into the sump !

Sent from my XT1033 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
miabellabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:08   #108

How much ridge is there in the cylinder wall at the top of the piston travel?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:10   #109

Boat: islandpacket

Good easy test, I have some issues that I'm trying to ignore. But after following sailer chick I have the confidence to pull the whole thing and fix it with a teaspoon and a flashlight. Not really, but I'm really impressed with her skill set. Keep us posted I'm really following this. Thanks again and good luck.

Old 01-12-2015, 15:40   #110

The ridge is important. If little ridge, then the engine may have a broken piston. it's not uncommon for those type. Why buy another unknown engine, Can the OP overhaul it? If it runs well but spitting oil... might be pretty easy. Just a little 2 cylinder engine.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:57   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Good easy test, I have some issues that I'm trying to ignore. But after following sailer chick I have the confidence to pull the whole thing and fix it with a teaspoon and a flashlight. Not really, but I'm really impressed with her skill set. Keep us posted I'm really following this. Thanks again and good luck.

Fix it with a teaspoon, uuhh do tell more .

Old 02-12-2015, 03:10   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The ridge is important. If little ridge, then the engine may have a broken piston. it's not uncommon for those type. Why buy another unknown engine, Can the OP overhaul it? If it runs well but spitting oil... might be pretty easy. Just a little 2 cylinder engine.
Not sure what u mean by " if little ridge". I do get your point about overhauling the engine, but with a hole in the exhaust port leading into the oil return chamber from the head( I'm sure that is not the right name for it), then I'm up for a new head 1800 from Minards. Then I have to pull the engine apart and I have to change the rings and while doing that then I should do the bearings or I risk putting the engine in and having a bearing issue some time in perhaps the near future. The gasket kit alone is $400 aus, I have a quote for $2100 for parts Inc rings pistons sleeves, bearings and gaskets. What a joke. (I think the whole tiny diesel should retail for $1000). So do I spend $4000 on an old engine and hope it will work as new, and hope I can keep the cost low by doing most the things myself or spend 2500 on a engine there might run for a few years, I'm having a hard time ATM, I bought my 25 Contessa for 7500 and am seriously thinking of putting an outboard on it and selling it, as I wouldn't be happy with an outboard. Then next time buy a better boat.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:38   #113

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: 2GM Yanmar Oil in Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by miabellabrian View Post
Not sure what u mean by " if little ridge". I do get your point about overhauling the engine, but with a hole in the exhaust port leading into the oil return chamber from the head( I'm sure that is not the right name for it), then I'm up for a new head 1800 from Minards. Then I have to pull the engine apart and I have to change the rings and while doing that then I should do the bearings or I risk putting the engine in and having a bearing issue some time in perhaps the near future. The gasket kit alone is $400 aus, I have a quote for $2100 for parts Inc rings pistons sleeves, bearings and gaskets. What a joke. (I think the whole tiny diesel should retail for $1000). So do I spend $4000 on an old engine and hope it will work as new, and hope I can keep the cost low by doing most the things myself or spend 2500 on a engine there might run for a few years, I'm having a hard time ATM, I bought my 25 Contessa for 7500 and am seriously thinking of putting an outboard on it and selling it, as I wouldn't be happy with an outboard. Then next time buy a better boat.
This ^^^. Don't put another nickle in it, which might screw it up for the next guy. Take yer financial hit and move on.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25   #114

Quote:

Yeah, I hear ya. Somehow I missed the hole in the head part I guess... Maybe Just leave the engine where it sits and let the new owner decide what to do? My Contessa had the little bukh 1 cyl in it, but I didn't have it that long... too wet and slow for me!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:40   #115

Like the boat but not roomy enough to holiday on and way too wet in the open sea as it sits too close to the water line. But fine for the lake, as a day sailor.

Old 13-12-2015, 02:57   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
If his head gasket is blown at the pushrod galleys then he can get blowby leaking at the head gasket. Plus as oil is returned from the rockers via the same galleys that oil could be pulled into the cylinder on the intake stroke. So it's possible to have both with a blown head gasket.

From personal experience, if rings were bad/broken on one cylinder to cause blowby like that, the engine would be very hard starting. Requiring many chants and questioning it's parentage. Been there done that.

Though if only the 2nd and oil rings are toast, then it might still start easy but smoke and have blowby. Though when I had one bad piston (all three rings and lands broken) there was no smoke when running and very little oil. It drank and burned tons of oil though.

That's why with easy starting but blue smoke, I lean towards a head gasket. Grey smoke could be sticking injectors, and black smoke would be over proped or fouled prop.

The sailorchic method for checking if the rings are good is once the head is removed, pour a cup of oil in each cylinder and let it sit for 12 hours. If the oil has not dropped much or at all, the rings are good. If one hole has lost oil, then it has bad rings and your rebuilding the engine.
Took off the head and started cleaning the exhaust port, found a hole between the exhaust port and the oil return chamber ( not sure of the right name for it) . so perhaps that is my only problem !! However I put transmission fluid in the cylinder and one cylinder dropped 1 cm over night, and by the end of the week all the oil had drained out, not sure if that is too much leaking or normal, I did use transmission fluid and not engine oil. Not sure if the head is repairable or if someone. Can put a sleeve in the exhaust port to fix the hole. Anyway I got a used 2gm20 which is a neater package than my messy engine with homemade heat exchanger etc and messy wiring. So swaping the engines and will have a chance to see if I can fix this head later.

Old 13-12-2015, 06:28   #117

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I am surprised you got so much help, because you did not communicate well at all, IMHO answering questions etc.

However the thread is informative because of the posters. Glad you found an engine.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 15:32   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I am surprised you got so much help, because you did not communicate well at all, IMHO answering questions etc.

However the thread is informative because of the posters. Glad you found an engine.
You are starting to sound like my girlfriend!! I'm a single Dad with 2 jobs not retired !!! Plus a lot other s answered for me

Old 14-12-2015, 03:28   #119

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: 2GM Yanmar Oil in Exhaust

Quote:
You are starting to sound like my girlfriend!! I'm a single Dad with 2 jobs not retired !!! Plus a lot other s answered for me
A single dad with two jobs and a girlfriend, and the wrong boat with a dead engine facing an engine job to install an unknown used engine to what purpose is anyone's guess.

Good luck Cap. Here's some reading you might enjoy in yer spare time:

Bone Yard Boats -- Free Boats
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, exhaust, oil, yanmar