Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 02:49   #1

240ac or 12v FREEZER

Looking for advise, opinions, experience !

Going long term cruising later this year, Lagoon 400.

looking to put a dedicated freezer aboard, we currently have a fridge and a 2nd fridge with a tiny freezer compartment.

we have 420Ah gel leisure batteries.

We are also having fitted 900 watts of solar and a Rutland 1200 wind turbine, coupled with a 2kw Inverter.

Now my question is, can i fit a 240V small freezer, approx 80ltr, only £150.00 to purchase, or will i have to buy a 12v DC at over £650.00.

What wold be the best option power consumption, plus fit and forget, with little constant monitoring power consumption etc.

Have looked at conversion rates etc, but still i am confused.com !!!

All comments, advise etc greatly appreciated.
neil28163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: 240ac or 12v FREEZER

A couple of thoughts;

With 900W of solar, a wind generator and a 2kW inverter, I would have a larger battery bank to make effective use of the free energy you can collect. With more storage, you can use more on a still night

You could use a 240V freezer but it won't be as energy efficient as a properly designed 12V boat system. You also need to take a look at how/where you can install the freezer - a 12V system will allow you to separate the box and the compressor and duct the air for compressor cooling, a 240V one will have less versatility and the compressor heat will be harder to get rid of.

Again, just speaking personally, On a Lagoon 400, I'd go to the extra expense of a proper marine system and even consider a eutectic system.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 13:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
240ac or 12v FREEZER

I have a 38' mono with 1KW of Solar and 660 AH bank,one big spillover fridge, and still have to watch power consumption as we have a large inverter / charger and will use electrical appliances and watch TV etc.
No way could I get by with less bank,and in truth would be happier with a larger one. You will need I believe a bigger bank, or you will be running your generator more than you want to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 13:50   #4

Thanks Stu, / 64pilot, looks like another battery to be added to the shopping list ! Excuse my ignorance, what is a eutectic system ?
Old 07-01-2017, 15:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Here's a good explanation of a Eutectic system:

Why Eutectic | Ozefridge
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 22:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Here's a link to download the CoolBlue Technautics Eutectic holding plate manual that will give you a good overview on a holding plate system.

http://cruiserowaterandpower.com/upl...anual_2015.pdf
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 19:31   #7

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1620

Hi neil28163 - re Freezer
We have 1 kw (nominal) Solar (new generation) which charges our 900 AH battery bank (AGM). Do not watch much TV at all and relatively low use of 240 vAC (from 3 kVA Victron Inverter) after dark (deliberately). Very rarely get below 80% battery state and will run generator if at 60% (always). Almost always get back to 900 AH (full charge state) by 10-11:00 next morning and into float state no later than 13:00 usually. Do not have a wind generator for this reason (no need). Will put the $-diff into larger battery bank (Li) when we replace later this year (our batteries are on the way out due to misuse in previous life. Have Vitrofrigo Fridge/Freezer drawers (A$2,600 approx unfitted) because they were the only ones we could locate at the time that had relatively high 'sides' (without holes) that retained the cold air when opening. We closed off the remaining with 'clear sticky'. In addition we have a Waeco 150 litre deep freezer box using a 'standard' compressor and plate. This later is fitted to a custom-made box to suit our installation. Waeco now see 'Freezetec' at link Marine Refrigeration – Freezetec They also have eutectic solutions. Reason for custom is major emphasis for us is on long term cruising and 'deep' freezing (below -25 deg C) required. Bin/chest type mandated because cold air not lost when opening. Further ensured that insulation minimum 100 mm all around (75 mm lid) which we could not find in any other 'off-the-shelf'. You can use the 'plate' for anything between 100-150 litres really - perhaps even smaller. Anything over 150 litre and the freezing level/efficiency reduced. Had issues (which were rectified) with ensuring that waste hot air off compressor is ducted out to 'free space' and not into any area which heats inside of galley/saloon which would then 'suck' it all back in again. Made effort to properly 'seal' all the surrounds and shipwright install to prevent mould and water / condensation getting into any insulation (i.e. we fibreglassed in the insulation as well as the 'box'. Two-pot paint spray finish looks perfect. Top opening 500 x 850 mm and made to fit bench surface. DO NOT put any handle or metal fitting through the lid into the freezer compartment. Will seriously reduce efficiency AND will condense water continuously. Further the compressor fan blows vertically upward so initial install problem of blowing hot air directly onto the bottom of the freezer box. Fitted an intermediate aluminium plate (hood) to deflect air out and rearward. Further fitted a small 12VDC fan from computer type to 'boost' cooling when extra hot days (rarely use). Ensure heaps of ventilation. We have a 'tunnel' which also takes out the Vitrofrigo air into same exhaust as they are located adjacent to each other. Extra current consumption of course but see 'recharging' period above. Absolutely fantastic solution and no storage issues. You have a significant investment in your vessel so I would not recommend to skimp on this key aspect of cruising (lots of great cold / freezer storage. Portable ones sound simple but just don't cut the mustard (we have an 40 ltr Engel (great camping machine) but which we not longer use on the boat because of total power consumption vs efficiency.
Mike_Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 19:38   #8

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1620

neil28163, further to my last re Freezer. I have 'excess' solar for most of our cruising environment (East coast Australia above lat 36 deg S. The cost of the 'freezer' plate and compressor plus install was about the same as the Vitrofrigo (off-the-shelf) and significantly outperforms a standard 'off-the-shelf' unit for efficiency due to design (i.e. chest) and insulation. If doing it again I would opt to do without the 'freezer' component of the 2-drawer system, albeit we can 'turn down' the temp of the upper freezer drawer and use as a fridge in any case (80 ltr freezer / 102 litre fridge approx), and install either a bigger (slightly) or 2 chests (one for 'daily's). In any case if you go for 'sea-water' cooled you will have slightly higher running costs and potential for 'pump' noise at night but much more efficient than 'air-cooled'. Caution if you are ever out of the water you cannot use your water-cooled equipments (without fitting inlet hoses etc to run). Hope this assists in some way.
Mike_Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 02:01   #9

Many thanks Mike, i still havnt made a purchase yet, and this gives me another option to look at.

Regards

Neil
Old 30-03-2017, 02:41   #10

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Agree with Mike, water cooling is best - does not put heat back into the boat in the tropics. Its already hot enough in there! Ozefridge, as mentioned above, do a water cooled version that uses fresh water - no through hulls, can be used on the hard. I've had mine for about 6 years now, and its one of the best changes we ever made to the boat. Cabinet design is critical though....
Old 30-03-2017, 04:11   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm going to give the opposite opinion to those who suggested a water cooled fridge. When our cruising friends have issues with thier fridges its almost always the water cooling circuit.

Since you are cruising on a catamaran, you won't notice the "extra heat" the fridges are putting out. Seriously, everything is up on the bridge deck and the extra heat simply leaves via the open hatches. Same goes for you oven. No way would our mono-hull friends use thier oven in the summer (in the tropics). We did it all the time and never even noticed the extra heat.

I definately agree with the posters above about your batteries. We have 900W of solar, 400W of wind and a 660AH (lead acid) battery bank. If we run both the fridge and freezer full time, we need to be careful with our other uses (laptops, ect).

Finally.. Have you looked into an Engle, Dometic, Whytner or ARB portable? The Engle's are by far the most efficient (only 2.5A when cycling), but are twice the price of the other brands. These portables are a pretty simple way to get extra freezer space without a big headache. Just some food for thought!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 04:36   #12

Neil, before you make your final decision ensure that you investigate the A+++ rated top loading freezers. There is a significant difference in energy consumption compared to even a 2+ unit and you will be surprised by the costs of small units as well. Might as well have all the info possible before spending your money.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer