Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 08:58   #1

2014 Pacific Puddlejump'ers

Anyone else on here planning on doing the puddle jump in 2014? I keep checking the website waiting for registration to open ( Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site ) but no dice.

We opted to not get the long stay visa just because of the hassle of needing to truck the whole family up to Los Angeles.

So anyone else headed into the South Pacific?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 06:17   #2

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
Hi Rebel Heart,
Yup, we are planning on heading thru the canal and down the Pacific next year. Usually allergic to rallies, but we have been known to make exceptions...
Jill and Bruce
SV Daemon
Old 28-07-2013, 06:35   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: 2014 Pacific Puddlejump'ers

there is a rally that leaves banderas bay in feb---are you joining them or doing it solo
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 06:40   #4

Did a search with Google and located a link showing registration was in December, 2012. So, I presume registration for 2014 will also be in December.

The bond waiver was cancelled following a problem with a crew member in 2012. But, fortunately the waiver was restored for 2013. Hoping it will still be in effect for 2014.

Only negative I see since my experience joining up with the Puddle Jump in 2009 is using an agent has been thrown into the mix. Not sure you have to use an agent, and from my experience you don't need one. But...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 12:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Did a search with Google and located a link showing registration was in December, 2012. So, I presume registration for 2014 will also be in December.

The bond waiver was cancelled following a problem with a crew member in 2012. But, fortunately the waiver was restored for 2013. Hoping it will still be in effect for 2014.

Only negative I see since my experience joining up with the Puddle Jump in 2009 is using an agent has been thrown into the mix. Not sure you have to use an agent, and from my experience you don't need one. But...
I'm really hoping it stays around for 2014. It's my wife and two kids. Even just one way tickets (refundable) for four people is a bit on the pricey side.

December seems pretty late for it to open up considering some boats are leaving in February. The HaHa opens up 5-6 months in advance and just in terms of mileage and destinations that's a bit of a cake walk compared to the Pacific crossing. Odd that something with more planning would have a shorter time from registration to departure, but I suppose it is what it is.
Old 28-07-2013, 12:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a rally that leaves banderas bay in feb---are you joining them or doing it solo
I think that's the same one. I was in Banderas Bay during spring last year and all the boats leaving were part of the Puddle Jump.

We didn't do the HaHa but are doing the Puddle Jump since:

- no entry fee (I think?)
- no departure / arrival dates (pick weather windows instead)
- don't have to pay the Tahitian bond
Old 28-07-2013, 12:23   #7

Boat: Outremer 5X

We're doing a Transpac in 2014, Feb/Mar transit of Canal. Our plan is Galapagos-Easter-Pitcairn-etc rather than Marquesas route - so no rally for us. But we'll be out there :-)

We leave NE coast in about 4 weeks time.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 13:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan360 View Post
We're doing a Transpac in 2014, Feb/Mar transit of Canal. Our plan is Galapagos-Easter-Pitcairn-etc rather than Marquesas route - so no rally for us. But we'll be out there :-)

We leave NE coast in about 4 weeks time.
We had that plan until people scared us away from it. There were folks that have done it in good weather but we talked to a really experienced couple that had to sail past both Pitcairn and Easter because the harbors were closed out. That and the shenanigans around the Galapagos made us want to hop from Mexico instead.

Not trying to talk you out of it though, I know people who've enjoyed it as well. Just not something I wanted to roll the dice on.
Old 28-07-2013, 13:58   #9

Boat: Outremer 5X

Yes the weather is a risk - but we like being on passage, so it may end up being a very long one :-) - I think the risk is worth it to go where most cruisers on the transpac don't bother to go. It does of course depend on what weather windows look like when we are in the Galapagos. We might fly down to Easter Is for a few days if it all looks too patchy.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 14:09   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I think that's the same one. I was in Banderas Bay during spring last year and all the boats leaving were part of the Puddle Jump.

We didn't do the HaHa but are doing the Puddle Jump since:

- no entry fee (I think?)
- no departure / arrival dates (pick weather windows instead)
- don't have to pay the Tahitian bond
Its hard to call this a rally. Boats leave whenever they want over months of time. Lattitude38 organizes a list of boats, some interviews for their mag and some informational get togethers for those in Balboa or La Cruz. It isn't anything like the paid for HaHa or one of the ARCs.
If we can make it back down to Panama early next year, then we will be crossing via Galapagos.
Old 28-07-2013, 14:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan360 View Post
Yes the weather is a risk - but we like being on passage, so it may end up being a very long one :-) - I think the risk is worth it to go where most cruisers on the transpac don't bother to go. It does of course depend on what weather windows look like when we are in the Galapagos. We might fly down to Easter Is for a few days if it all looks too patchy.
I've been considering the flight option from Papeete to Easter only because it would reset our tourist visas. It's a lot of money but if we have the cash and the desire to stay longer in French Polynesia we might try it.

The long-stay visa requirements for us, not being in the states anymore and having two kids to haul around is a little more than we can handle right now.
Old 28-07-2013, 14:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Its hard to call this a rally. Boats leave whenever they want over months of time. Lattitude38 organizes a list of boats, some interviews for their mag and some informational get togethers for those in Balboa or La Cruz. It isn't anything like the paid for HaHa or one of the ARCs.
If we can make it back down to Panama early next year, then we will be crossing via Galapagos.
They can call it whatever they want from my point of view, as long as I can put my name on it and skip paying the bond/airfare fees.
Old 28-07-2013, 14:45   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
They can call it whatever they want from my point of view, as long as I can put my name on it and skip paying the bond/airfare fees.
Exactly, for the price it is a good deal. In addtion, you will have to pay the agent to avoid the bond, so you'll have to do the math to see if it really saves you money over a refundable airfare.
Also, I don't think that flying to Easter Is, or anywhere out of FP, resets your visa. As I understand it it is 90 days in 6 months.
Old 28-07-2013, 18:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Exactly, for the price it is a good deal. In addtion, you will have to pay the agent to avoid the bond, so you'll have to do the math to see if it really saves you money over a refundable airfare.
Also, I don't think that flying to Easter Is, or anywhere out of FP, resets your visa. As I understand it it is 90 days in 6 months.
Ah, interesting. I was using the Mexico model where you can effectively stay forever if you just keep flying in and out (aside from pursuing proper long term visas).

My friend who went with the Puddle Jump a couple of years ago didn't mention anything about an agent or any fee particulars other than regular immigration and customs.
Old 28-07-2013, 18:19   #15

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

We're in Panama now and leaving for the Marquesas in a week or so. What is the latest regarding visas, bonds, airfares etc?
We tend to cross bridges as we come to them. I last heard there was just a refundable deposit to pay.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote