Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 15:45   #16

Boat: Southcoast 22ft sailboat
Re: 1st Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You’re getting good advice here Trucker. I think this trip would be great to do, IF can wait till summer, and IF you have enough time to go slow. Personally, if I’d leave late June/early July and go north through the North Channel. Take your time. Explore. Learn to sail. There's some of the best gunk holing in the world up there.

I don’t know Lake Michigan, so can’t suggest the best route through there. From the charts, the north end of the Lake looks hospitable from an anchoring safe tuck-in aspect. But as you head south it looks like the only option is marina hopping, with some big distances for a smallish boat. You’ll need to plan carefully.

The other thing you need to plan is where to clear into the USA. Not sure where the customs entry points are along there, but you’ll need to clear in once you enter the USA. No anchoring or stopping till you’ve legally cleared. And I assume you’ll have to import the boat at that point.

One thing though … you don’t have to go through the Sault locks. There are no locks between Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. There’s a Big Feakin’ bridge you have to go under, but no locks.

The locks lead to Lake Superior, and are at the headwaters of the St. Mary’s River. The recreational (Canadian) locks don’t open till later in the season, but the large commercial (American) locks start up with the opening of the Seaway, which is usually in March — not that you’d ever want to be on Superior in March in a small craft . Upbound usually does require three crew, but I’m not sure if they care on the Canadian locks. I’ve gone up with only two on board, but that was a number of years ago. Best to check.
Thanks, Mike as with anything it's all about planning. I have been planning this boat purchase for the last 4 years, Looking reading and waiting for the right deal. I do wish this was closer but it is what it is.I will find out more about getting the boat into the US shortly. Before I set off either way truck or sail I will know what to do at the border. Should I end up sailing I will have charts and the gear necessary. The owner now says it is not set up to one hand sail. Plans change all the time. 3yrs ago I came home for my Mom to have Heart surgery. She passed during that. So my wife and I gave our word we would take care of my stepdad. He is bed bound. We get no relief from the rest of the family with that, so we have been here every day for three years. Now, this is not a burden for me it's been a blessing. My dad is without a doubt next to my wife my best friend. Having said those gunkholes sound fun, I wish my wife could come along, I get 3 weeks paid time off. I could do what I could get her on land until next year and have another go at it. First things first. Get to the boat Look over that last Survey. And make it mine. If everything checks out!!
trucker33377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:19   #17

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Trucker

You seem like a good man. And I want this to work for you. I sail out of Jackson Park Harbor on the South Side of Chicago, and there are plenty of empty moorings in search of a sailboat to complete their existence. So I want you to have a boat and sail on it. I have recently made the transition from non-boat having to first boat over the last four years. The last two seasons I was in from the harbors opening in May on through to October. The first season I didn’t launch. I’ve learned a lot along the way. This forum has been great for supplementing my learning, of course nothing beats actually sailing, but as in aviation the tricky bits have to do with the land. Learning how and where to get my boat launched, where the best place to store it is, who I have to talk to and what I have to do to safely and legally operate my vessel on a sustainable basis were in many ways more challenging than learning how to move my boat around on the water. I try to be picky with my contributions, and not give dodgy advice, and I am rambling a bit so I’ll get to my main point:

This buying in Canada business sounds like a lot of unnecessary hassle and front loading of work if your goal is to acquire the boat of your dreams and sail it on Lake Michigan in the near future.

Why not buy closer to home?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/searc...gth_overall=24

There are some sweet boats in there, including a Grampian 26 from 1974 attractively priced at $3,000

Your Canadian boat sounds great, and I dig the dodger and everything, but I’ll confess that my maiden voyage of 40 miles from Waukegan to Chicago was challenging. I was 37, and was a competitive dinghy sailor in high school, including Lasers and 420’s. I had sailed a few times since then, but I never had my own boat. After 1.5 years of hard work and false starts, I launched. I had help the first day from an old friend who knows about as much as I do, but we only made it halfway, and he couldn’t stick around. The second day my motor failed immediately, and I ended up getting towed to the harbor mouth, sailing 20 miles on a beautiful reach, and 75% sure I was in the right harbor, sailing up to my pin with a little help from an electric trolling motor I hooked up to the motor mount on the back. I got stuck on an apparently famous silty bottom for a bit in the harbor but was able to wiggle myself free (what is that beeping noise? Oh it’s the depth finder!) I tied off exhausted, exhilarated, ecstatic, and began to figure out how to inflate my dinghy.

I can only imagine that a shakedown cruise of both you and your boat (after 3 years on the hard), of a similar size to my own, that begins in another country, spans hundreds of miles, and that you hope to complete in 3 weeks, might not be the best way to start your dream. Consider, at least, buying a close boat and sailing off the hook for a season, or at least chartering a boat for a day or two to get the feel of the thing. Hey, if you’re around this summer in Chicago, I’ll take you out once. I’m but a humble day sailor but I sense a kindred soul. Just saying. I wish you all the best in your endeavor and I don’t want to discourage you. A lot of people will do that and it’s not my intention.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 21:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
Trucker

You seem like a good man. And I want this to work for you. I sail out of Jackson Park Harbor on the South Side of Chicago, and there are plenty of empty moorings in search of a sailboat to complete their existence. So I want you to have a boat and sail on it. I have recently made the transition from non-boat having to first boat over the last four years. The last two seasons I was in from the harbors opening in May on through to October. The first season I didn’t launch. I’ve learned a lot along the way. This forum has been great for supplementing my learning, of course nothing beats actually sailing, but as in aviation the tricky bits have to do with the land. Learning how and where to get my boat launched, where the best place to store it is, who I have to talk to and what I have to do to safely and legally operate my vessel on a sustainable basis were in many ways more challenging than learning how to move my boat around on the water. I try to be picky with my contributions, and not give dodgy advice, and I am rambling a bit so I’ll get to my main point:

This buying in Canada business sounds like a lot of unnecessary hassle and front loading of work if your goal is to acquire the boat of your dreams and sail it on Lake Michigan in the near future.

Why not buy closer to home?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/searc...gth_overall=24

There are some sweet boats in there, including a Grampian 26 from 1974 attractively priced at $3,000

Your Canadian boat sounds great, and I dig the dodger and everything, but I’ll confess that my maiden voyage of 40 miles from Waukegan to Chicago was challenging. I was 37, and was a competitive dinghy sailor in high school, including Lasers and 420’s. I had sailed a few times since then, but I never had my own boat. After 1.5 years of hard work and false starts, I launched. I had help the first day from an old friend who knows about as much as I do, but we only made it halfway, and he couldn’t stick around. The second day my motor failed immediately, and I ended up getting towed to the harbor mouth, sailing 20 miles on a beautiful reach, and 75% sure I was in the right harbor, sailing up to my pin with a little help from an electric trolling motor I hooked up to the motor mount on the back. I got stuck on an apparently famous silty bottom for a bit in the harbor but was able to wiggle myself free (what is that beeping noise? Oh it’s the depth finder!) I tied off exhausted, exhilarated, ecstatic, and began to figure out how to inflate my dinghy.

I can only imagine that a shakedown cruise of both you and your boat (after 3 years on the hard), of a similar size to my own, that begins in another country, spans hundreds of miles, and that you hope to complete in 3 weeks, might not be the best way to start your dream. Consider, at least, buying a close boat and sailing off the hook for a season, or at least chartering a boat for a day or two to get the feel of the thing. Hey, if you’re around this summer in Chicago, I’ll take you out once. I’m but a humble day sailor but I sense a kindred soul. Just saying. I wish you all the best in your endeavor and I don’t want to discourage you. A lot of people will do that and it’s not my intention.
Well, I opened this to ask for advice from those who would know more than I. So to not take that would be kinda dumb on my part. I have seen the ad on CL that you are speaking of. I wasn't impressed with the photos of that one. I have also looked at and spoken with a guy who has a 22Ft Chrysler that I really like. If this Grampian was not in Canada I would go for it but I have to agree It is a lot of work just crossing the border. $1200 Canadian is a great deal on that boat. It's been in the hands of the owner since it was new. He just got old and now partners with son on a bigger Hunter. It will make someone a good deal.

I don't know how long it will be until I can do the Great Loop with things the way they are now, and a Trailer Sailor is really more in line with what I should have. Culver Lake is close by and it's Not an inland sea, so I can do some sailing on it and learn what I need to get to the big waters. I have to say I know the Great Lakes are just that BIG WATERS. So I will yield on this trip to Canada, as much as I don't want to. On a positive note, I have found that good even great sailboats keep popping up for sale so other deal will come my way. Thanks for the advice from everyone who put in their 2 cents. It has helped me make what I feel is a good move. Oh and I just got a bid to ship this boat $ 8.62 per mile. That's good work if you can get it. Most of us truckers get around $1.50. profit is not a dirty word. Thanks and I hope everyone has a Great summer sailing.
Old 13-03-2019, 02:51   #19

Talking Re: 1st Sail

I just wanted to update here. I have retired since the last post and I am still waiting for that 1st sail. Looks like we could be getting close now. Around the 1st week in April I am going to look at a trailer sailer. A 26 ft Parker Dawson. I chose this one because It is a good match for what I need big enough to do the loop and yet small enough o take out of the water and pull it home. It comes with both inboard and outboard motors. And it has an enclosed cockpit. That's a huge plus for me. I just hope it looks as good in person as it does on paper. Every day it is getting a tad bit warmer now.
Old 13-03-2019, 15:28   #20

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

If you need any specific Parker Dawson info drop me a line. I have been working on upgrading mine for some time now and have a good bit of info and practical experience on the little beasties at this point in addition to an unholy amount of photos detailing project work.

They are a delight.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 06:40   #21

Aswayze, I will keep you in mind Thanks. I should be getting it as soon as things dry up some. Raining every day here and the boat is in his back yard we don't want the tear that up. I am hoping it is close to being ready for the water. I will find out soon. I have had a few false starts already, but this time I do think I have a good boat. As long as it is big enough.
Old 30-04-2019, 20:12   #22

The Parker Dawson is a funny boat. Its REALLY ideal for one or two and has a decent amount of space if you dont mind scrambling around a bit but tends to lack that sense of space since the divided layout seperates the space you do have.

If you get one with the inboard diesel it would be a killer great loop boat. The economy and range of the diesels in these things will astonish you.

And yes, they do trailer well. I trailered mine from Kansas City to the Chesapeake Bay last weekend.

If the one you are getting has the full cockpit canvas cover I really really want to see pictures of it!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:16   #23

It does have an inboard a new Yanmar 1-GM10 diesel. It also has a backup outboard. It comes with a full array of items including a cockpit enclosure. It is made up of 5 panels I think. The PO was getting ready to take it on the Loop himself. I have not done an inventory yet so I do not know the shape of everything just yet.
Old 01-05-2019, 19:02   #24

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker33377 View Post
It does have an inboard a new Yanmar 1-GM10 diesel. It also has a backup outboard. It comes with a full array of items including a cockpit enclosure. It is made up of 5 panels I think. The PO was getting ready to take it on the Loop himself. I have not done an inventory yet so I do not know the shape of everything just yet.

Exciting times! Glad to hear the dream is alive. I’m launching Saturday.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 04:10   #25

Hi folks! Well, last week I was able to get my boat. No sooner than I got her things started going bad. I got home and the night before last hoodlums spray painted both sides of the hull with bright pink paint. I know who it was but can't do anything about it. police are useless for help unless they witness it themselves. I don't know if it would be worth the time and expense to try and buff this out or just plan on a new paint job. Does anyone here have any experience with this? The trailer is not so bad they just got the fender but the boat is really a mess.
Old 20-05-2019, 11:44   #26

No worries, just buff it off. Typical punk spray paint comes off pretty easy compared to gelcoat.
Old 27-05-2019, 05:17   #27

If anyone has a photo of the battery box. could you please post it? I think I know where it should go but would like to see one in place to be sure.
Old 27-05-2019, 10:01   #28

Also, I posted a short youtube video of my rudder. The very bottom is rubbed off and it has a crack running along the edge. This is a foam core and my question is along the edge of the fiberglass it seems to be separated from the foam core should I remove it until I find a good contact. Or can I just place the new fiberglass on it like it is? Also at the very top, there are 2 molded bars both are damaged 1 is half gone. I am thinking cabosil mix may take care of that. I am not sure I've never used it before. link to the video. https://youtu.be/grx9VFmkrYo
Old 27-05-2019, 16:08   #29

Hiya Trucker!

You might consider starting a new thread called "crack in rudder - help!"

Once an initial question has been answered (generally) the Forum moves on.

Good luck!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 17:00   #30

Batterys (2) go in the cockpit locker between the fuel tank and the bulkhead. There is a fiberglassed in tray to hold them. I cannot figure how to post pics from an andriod device or I would post the one I just took. I am swinging merrily at anchor now and my computer is far far away.

Rudder is no surprise. Yes cavosil will take care of the lugs on top. Grind back the delaminated bits and just reglass,. No prob, standard stuff on the Parker Dawson's. It will be good as new in a jiffy.

Tags
sail