Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 17:47   #1

Boat: still looking for around 35 foot
1976 Pearson 365

I have found said SV for only 15,500 US Dollars (knowing that there are some here from outside the US) and was wondering if it was worth it. I'm looking for something I can single hand if needed. Just don't know much about this company and their SVs.

Also if someone has an Idea about what SV would be good for Live aboard, and single handed sailing Please let me know.. I'm looking around 35 foot
donlentz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: 1976 Pearson 365

Pearson has/had a reputation for building structurally solid boats with mediocre level interior finish. With the shallow draft and no center board, the boat will not be a wizard to windward. Sail area/displacement ratio doesn't make for a good light air boat either. Accommodation arrangements are good for a cruiser and the sit down shower is a big plus. If the engine is in decent shape, the sails aren't beaten to death, and there is decent additional equipment, $15,500 isn't a bad price.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:46   #3

Pretty much impossible to tell without looking at the boat. A Pearson 365 in really good condition might be worth $50k-$60k. On the other hand, if it has been neglected long enough, it might be something that you would have to pay ME to take off of your hands. Yes, there are all too many older boats out there that are worth less than nothing! That are going to cost you money to dispose of, or will cost far more to get into sailing shape than they will ever be worth.

Buyer beware.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:29   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Can't add much more to the above posts. I've lived aboard my larger 424 since 2003 and it makes a good home and passage maker (many times single-handed). The 365 should do well in these categories.
As the others have pointed out, whether this is a good deal or a disaster can only be determined by a detailed inspection of the boat, and your ability to fix (or pay someone to fix) the expected shortcomings of a boat that is being offered at well below the normal asking price.

Good luck,
John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:05   #5

Boat: still looking for around 35 foot

Ok thanks All. I may put my offer on her soon. So for your entertainment a little Info on her.. I have seen her she was sitting in the water and the bilge was dry as a bone. All the wood below deck seemed solid as far as my amateur eye could tell, Yes I knocked on areas of the wood to see if I could find any rotten spots. The Standing rigging has been replaced within the last couple years as well as the running rigging. the Motor is a 2014 Perkins with Like 50 Hours on it...
donlentz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:38   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

A friend here used to own one. I was onboard a couple of times (in port). I liked what I saw. I did not mind the large white areas inside as these make cockroach and mosquito hunting easier. The construction looked 100% fine and the fittings were fine too. Window frames were just soso (plastic) but these are different on different boats.

It seemed to be better fitted for a crew of say two than for a bigger family, much as the boat is quite a big one, her interior layout is not of the multi-cabin multi-toilet kind. Still, a great layout for a traveling two.

I am not sure why they come up cheap on the market. They look fine boats to me.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlentz83 View Post
Ok thanks All. I may put my offer on her soon. So for your entertainment a little Info on her.. I have seen her she was sitting in the water and the bilge was dry as a bone. All the wood below deck seemed solid as far as my amateur eye could tell, Yes I knocked on areas of the wood to see if I could find any rotten spots. The Standing rigging has been replaced within the last couple years as well as the running rigging. the Motor is a 2014 Perkins with Like 50 Hours on it...

Nice but it's a v-drive from what I remember. One more thing to fall apart and access to the shaft coupling ? Everything else checked all my boxes but would not consider a v-drive. I know, I know, EZ fix.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, pearson 365