Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 17:57   #1

Boat: 1978 cal 2-27
1973 Morgan 28... My First Boat?

i am currently considering purchasing a 1973 morgan 28. i found one recently, close to home and in good structural shape for $3500. my one main concern is that the stock atomic 4 18hp gas inboard has been removed and replaced with a 15hp honda outboard. I'm just looking for a little feedback as to whether this will affect motoring performance or handling. Also anyone who can share FIRSTHAND experience (pos. or neg) having to do with this model, in general (areas of concern etc...) i have found little and varied reviews. thanks, look forward to hearing from you.
lexilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 12:29   #2

Boat: Morgan OI 33
Send a message via AIM to mxsailor
Re: 1973 morgan 28... my first boat?

The 28 is a great cruiser, and is faster than my 1973 33 OI, (which I bought in 1994). I have a friend who has been cruising Mexico with his 28 since 1997 and he's sold on the boat. I would look into installing a small (15-18 hp) diesel (a Yanmar would be perfect). It got lots of room and the boat is affordable in marinas and storage. Built to take a lot of abuse also. $3500 is stealing this boat.
mxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 16:54   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If the engine beds are still in the boat, you could probably find a Universal Diesel for $1200 somewhere and plop it in. For $3500, I wouldn't worry about it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 05:39   #4

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

i agree. a diesel would make this boat more reliable and safer for any type of crossing.good luck
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 05:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

This would be a great little cruiser. Like any older boat, get a good survey. Check especially for for leaks into the deck and wet and deliminated core. You can live with a little but a bad case of delamination would be expensive or very time consuming to repair.

Adding a diesel would be a giant plus but if it's a budget buster for you the outboard will work. Not the best for long distance motoring but will easily get you from the dock and down a channel to the ocean. Then you sail.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:13   #6

Boat: Morgan OI 33
Send a message via AIM to mxsailor

The problem with outboards is in short choppy seas, the kind that can put you on the rocks. In these conditions, the bow digs in, lifting the outboard out of the water. Without resistance on the prop, the rpms climb and very quickly, the motor overheats from lack of cooling and shuts down. It won't restart until it cools down but then you're in a nightmare with no steerage. Happened to me. Get an inboard, save your boat, maybe your life.
mxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor View Post
The problem with outboards is in short choppy seas, the kind that can put you on the rocks. In these conditions, the bow digs in, lifting the outboard out of the water. Without resistance on the prop, the rpms climb and very quickly, the motor overheats from lack of cooling and shuts down. It won't restart until it cools down but then you're in a nightmare with no steerage. Happened to me. Get an inboard, save your boat, maybe your life.
I've been hearing an inboard is better, but your explanation tells me why with better reason. Thanks.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:14   #8

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

My boats the same size as yours and i have a outboard on the transom, but then its just a back up as i have an inboard diesel too.

I dont mind the outboard back there though, i will have a duck board that goes back there and the outboard goes through the duck board when needed.

Helps protect it.

If i had a glass boat and the cockpit worked right i would cut a square in the floor and sink the out board done there, and then just put a flap in.

I have seen heaps of little boats like that in Australia, the endeavors are one type that comes to mind.

Puts the outboard in a great protected spot and makes for a good location for the prop and then its easily removable and doesn't take up inside space

Matthew
Old 04-09-2013, 14:02   #9

Boat: Morgan 41 Classic

I, too, am looking for a Morgan Out Island 28. Anyone know where I can find one? Also, is the mast deck stepped? I would want to be able to trailer it and think that would be a critical capability to do so. Thanks,
Drew at drewphus@aol.com
Drewphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 00:33   #10

Great! Just have some more reviews and advice when purchasing. Good luck to you.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:25   #11

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: 1973 Morgan 28... My First Boat?

congrats on a great boat, and good luck!
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 11:05   #12

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

My 1969 Morgan 28 is the classic, and has a keel stepped mast. it's atomic 4 was replaced with an old Yanmar ysm12 that is now dead. There is limited vertical clearance, and I am considering putting a rebuilt atomic 4 in if the old yanmar proves unsalvageable.

There is also a Morgan 28 flush deck (rare) that has limited headroom, and an out island 28. The OI 28 does not sail as well as the classic 28.

My M28 has good headroom (6'2"), and is laid out like the classic M30, with smaller quarter berths. I like the 36" draft, and it has a centerboard, a great rig for the shallow North Florida bays. The M28 sails well, is comfortable, and is a fairly forgiving vessel. Buying parts for it will not bankrupt your family, the way a larger boat can.

I like the smallest boat that will accommodate my needs, and I chose the M28 over the M30, M34, and the bigger out islands. I do short trips 4 to 7 days, and a few longer ones.

That vintage Morgans have some leaky water tank issues, so check that out.

There is an M28 for sale for $800 on Tampa Craig's list, and a 28 OI up on the Mobile river (with pinholes in the yanmar engine block). There was an m28 in Maryland (blown Atomic 4, for $1,000.

In the long run, though, paying more, for a better boat, proves cheapest in the long run.

Get the best boat you can afford. Good Luck. Tom
Bestathook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
My 1969 Morgan 28 is the classic, and has a keel stepped mast. it's atomic 4 was replaced with an old Yanmar ysm12 that is now dead. There is limited vertical clearance, and I am considering putting a rebuilt atomic 4 in if the old yanmar proves unsalvageable.
Hey Tom, did you ever get the Yanmar going, or do you now have an Atomic four?
-Bruce

Old 07-10-2013, 09:44   #14

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I have waaaaaay too many boats. I haven't done either yet. A friend has an old Volvo 2 cylinder that might fit, and it is in running condition, so if I can make a deal, that may be the one I put in. It is wait and see.

In the meantime, I play out on the bay in a day sailor.
Old 07-10-2013, 15:34   #15

Too many boats? I wish that were my problem.
Is that Volvo diesel or gas? I've heard good things about Volvo boat engines in the past.
-Bruce

Tags
morgan