Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 04:49   #1

Yacht Registation

European sailor , wants to buy a sailyacht in the USA planning a long sabbatical in the Carraibean . Where would I register the boat , some ideas on simpel solutions ??? Europe is not an option , don't want to pay the VAT, I prefer to spend it on my cruisingbudget .
Rafale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 04:55   #2
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Panama is a good option to buy now as you will be out of the hurricane area and there are US boats for sale on the area.
Old 21-04-2009, 05:46   #3

Thanks Softair for the hint .In fact planning to buy now in the New York region..... leaving Europe in September , getting aquintenced with the yacht ... and then sailing to the Antilles after the hurricane season .

Is this an option ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurakan View Post
Karletto,

I made an intensive search about bringing an 25ft- 3000kg from Florida to Izmir, TR. I contacted to many carriers and the cost of transfering that kinda boat was approx. 10k USD.

You can keep the US flag on your boat. To be able to do so, you've gotta set up a company in Delaware, easy even with your credit card for around 400 USD. Then, register your boat on that company and voila! that's it!. You'll only have to pay some 200 USD every year to keep your US company ''alive''. Bacause of huge VAT and other taxes ( shame on those policies!), nearly 90 % of the boats (even 6 meter motor boats) in marinas in TR carry US flag.

Old 21-04-2009, 07:27   #4

Boat: 49 ft. alu, centerboard, one off Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer
We have bought a 48' in the US last year and plan to take it out for a year. We are 2x Danish+1 New Zealand national and are flying danish flag. We do this based on what 'diplomatic' status we want if we experience any legal challenges. You do not have to pay european VAT unless you sail into EU-waters.
jens_elsborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:19   #5

Check out Anguilla. We were told it was simpler than BVI, no boat inspection, no yearly fee.
Old 23-04-2009, 16:29   #6

How about one of the French Islands...Martinique/Guadeloupe?

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 07:06   #7

& Claire , I will have a look at it
&Camaraderie : French Antilles = European ( French ) regulations
&Jens , I can't register a yacht without paying the VAT in France or Belgium
Old 28-04-2009, 19:51   #8

Boat: Jutson 50
Delaware Registration?

I've done some research on this - are there any pitfalls with a Delaware Registration? It seems you can register a company, and then register the boat to the company for about $1000-$1500 for the initial deal, and then pay a nominal $300 fee per year ongoing to keep the reg and company alive.
I'm looking for the path of least resistance, which may be the Aussie registration for me, but the availability of low cost providers who do all the paperwork is pretty attractive.

Any horror/success stories out there?
James
tackdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Tackdriver - In order to own and register a US boat it must be done by a citizen. Corporations, including Delaware ones, are only considered citizens if:

Quote:
A corporation is deemed a citizen if (a) it is incorporated under the laws of the United States or of a state, territory, district or possession; (b) its president, or other chief executive officer and its chairman of the board are United States citizens; (c)no more of its directors than a minority of the number necessary to constitute a quorum are non-citizens; and (d) the controlling interest in the corporation is owned by United States citizens or, if the vessel is documented for coastwise trade, at least 75 percnt of the interest in the corporation is owned by United States citizens.
Quote:
It should be noted that the regulations only find control and ownership in a corporation if (I) title to at least a majority of the stock is vested in United States citizens free of any trust or fiduciary obligation in favor of any person who is not a United States citizen; (ii) at least the majority of the voting power is vested in U.S. citizens; (iii) there is no contract or understanding through which it is arranged that the majority of the voting power may be exercised directly or indirectly on behalf of any person who is not a U.S. citizen; and (iv) there are no other means whatsoever by which control of the corporation is conferred upon or permitted to be exercised by any person who is not a U.S. citizen.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:52   #10

Boat: Jutson 50
Plan B then!

OK, thanks for that. Looks like Aussie Reg is the way to go.
cheers
James
tackdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46   #11

Boat: Boatless
I am British, bought the boat in the BVI where it was registered, sailed US on a cruising certificate and the boat is now registered in the UK. No VAT due because the boat is not in Euriopean waters and would have to be in Europe for 18 months without leaving for VAT to be payable.

The UK small boat registry cost $40 while most off-shore registries are $100's
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 05:03   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I am British, bought the boat in the BVI where it was registered, sailed US on a cruising certificate and the boat is now registered in the UK. No VAT due because the boat is not in Euriopean waters and would have to be in Europe for 18 months without leaving for VAT to be payable.

The UK small boat registry cost $40 while most off-shore registries are $100's

Hi Moondancer,
I'm French, and hope to buy an ex-charter boat in Martinique, Guadeloupe or the BVI "taxes not paid", then register it in France and sail around the world. As I would like to stay in European territorial waters 3-4 months shortly after the purchase, I hope that you are right, but my understanding was that EU residents are only eligible for a month of Temporary Importation without VAT (only non-EU residents are eligible for 18 months). Unless you are not a British resident ?
Thanks for your help
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote