Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2010, 13:17   #16

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Sorry, we don't allow discussions about how to steal WiFi services, software, etc., here.
What a buzz kill Hud.
Old 15-06-2010, 14:00   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Worldwide (except USA) there is instant internet coverage by USB modem wherever there is cell phones. The SIM card is quickly and cheaply bought in every country we have been in

I write to you now via one!

I would never do banking on a pirated wireless service. I don't have much and therefore can't aford to lose it
If your work depends on it, and its important to keep you afloat for more time, I would go for an almost complete solution -
Based on the type of connection you need:
1. In order to download/ upload a big chunk of data: internet cafes and a boat router connected to a wifi extension antenna, some can cover several miles with good reception, and counter to the believe, there are a lot of free ones, just look for the networks with "cafe" in the name, I'm sure they won't mind. you can connect to the router using a line and that saves on the computer wifi juice needs.
2. For secure connection / low data amounts / when off main ports - anchorages and distance from shore: Some cellular coverage - something like a usb net stick, a mifi, or one of the android new phones can do.
Note - most cellphone internet plans where I live are by the data size - you by the GB and going over the stated amount of GB is the data is more expensive, I assume that it is the same in a lot of other countries. USB or wifi conection between the computer and the router - both take a lot of juice.
3. SSB email will allow you to have the most important thing - always stay in touch with your clients on a daily basis no matter where you are.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 14:37   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Its would be extremely difficult to perform SE work remotely using internet since most projects are team based and you need to be connected to other people on the team at all times and sometimes 24/7, show up for meetings and the like. Your internet connection needs to be solid at all times. Contract work remotely is difficult to get but I guess can be done.

The older advice, which I don't quite know is relevant these days, was to master constructions skills (Woodworker, electrician, welding, plumbing etc) or medical (RN etc)
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote