Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2011, 19:53   #1

Why does it seem like you get much more used boat for the dollar with a powerboat ?

A 1976 powerboat is likely one that you could get for free. Make that a sailboat and your going to have to pay thousands, even if it too has motor problems. What's the differance? am i missing something? It seems like your dollar dosn't get afford the same luxuries or space. Why does sail seem to hold value when power does not?
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 20:20   #2

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
Re: Why dos it seem like you get so much more used boat for the dollar with a powerbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
A 1976 powerboat is likely one that you could get for free. Make that a sailboat and your going to have to pay thousands, even if it too has motor problems. What's the differance? am i missing something? It seems like your dollar dosn't get afford the same luxuries or space. Why does sail seem to hold value when power does not?
Winches, windlasses, masts, sails, tracks, cars, running rigging, standing rigging plus a hull = sailboat

hull plus an engine = power boat

So in fact you get much more with a sailboat, and the operating costs are a lot less wind = free gas or diesel costs money.

Pay a lot for a sailboat, but save money operating, get a free power boat and spend a lot of money operating.

Yes, I know an over simplified explanation, but its late.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 21:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Why dos it seem like you get so much more used boat for the dollar with a powerbo

What smallyachts said...also often the hull and deck construction of a sail boat is more robust as it has to handle the loads/stress that comes carrying sail and keel.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 21:10   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've had both and each has its benefits and drawbacks. As the years pile on, it does get harder to pound in to a head on buck aboard a sailboat. But if you can afford the diesel, powerboats keep you in the game. I count myself lucky to have had the years aboard both living aboard and cruising... wouldn't trade either... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 22:30   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar
. Why does sail seem to hold value when power does not?
The rising price of fuel must have something to do with it. At $5 per gallon for diesel, what's not to like about sail?
Old 18-05-2011, 23:32   #6

Boat: Niagara 35

I don't think I can agree with your premise. A heavily used 20 year old powerboat may cost 100 times less than what a similar sailboat would cost, but the powerboat is still a powerboat!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:08   #7

Re: Why does it seem like you get so much more used boat for the dollar with a powerb

With a powerboat it is all about the engine. With a tired, old engine that is going to need a rebuild soon, a powerboat is hardly worth anything.

A sailboat with an old engine, though, is still a sailboat. It can still go places and may be able to hobble along on its old engine for a very long time.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why does it seem like you get much more used boat for the dollar with a powerboat

The Romance of Sail has a HIGH $ VALUE......
Power is about as romantic as dog pooh...
Here's my favourite drunk giving the message.....
YouTube - ‪Dean Martin - Red Sails In The Sunset‬‏

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:16   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Why does it seem like you get much more used boat for the dollar with a powerboat

Probably depends on the powerboat. But something 30 odd years old with large twin petrol engines (possibly on outdrives?) will have been through several numpty owners who ran her on zero cash and wishful thinking - so even if lucky odds are high will simply be buying a succession of (deferred) maintanence bills. and if unlucky will be looking for 2 new engines / drives and discovering the hard way why she was cheap.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 09:24   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Why does it seem like you get much more used boat for the dollar with a powerboat

Old power boat. Engine quits way off-shore or somewhere remote = long tow, possible danger, and fear.

Old sailboat. Engine quits way off-shore or somewhere remote = may not matter, or at least sail very close to the harbor and get a short tow.

Engine reliability is important when it's all you've got. Also, many power boats are in big trouble when the wind kicks up and they have no power to keep the nose in the wind. Something inconsequential to a sailor--a dead battery--can be very dangerous on a powerboat.

There is also the fact that sails and rigging are easier to survey with confidence than engines and transmissions. Have you ever noticed that more sailors express intense frustration over motors than over equivalent rigging problems?
Old 19-05-2011, 10:18   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Old sailboat. Engine quits way off-shore or somewhere remote = may not matter, or at least sail very close to the harbor and get a short tow.
OR: Old sailboat = old rigging. Mast comes down way offshore, and old sailboat has very small fuel tank. Now old sailboat is stuck way offshore, with practically no way to get home....

Old sailboats (with old rigging and old spars and old sails) are not more reliable than an old powerboat with an old engine. Costs to replace a full rig and suit of sails after 20 years of use can buy a lot of diesel.
Old 19-05-2011, 14:02   #12

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
I can rig a jury rigged mast and boom alot easier than getting the powerboat underway.

Shoot, for that matter, depending what is on the powerboat, I may be able to jury rig some type of sail rig on it as well.

But then again true sailors should understand that
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 14:10   #13

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The rising price of fuel must have something to do with it. At $5 per gallon for diesel, what's not to like about sail?
Wind seems to be getting cheaper every day!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 16:05   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

There are a lot more power boaters in the world and therefore the demand is higher evidenced by the higher prices for new power boats. As the saying goes, the more-money-than-brains club is very large.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 18:31   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
OR: Old sailboat = old rigging. Mast comes down way offshore, and old sailboat has very small fuel tank. Now old sailboat is stuck way offshore, with practically no way to get home....

Old sailboats (with old rigging and old spars and old sails) are not more reliable than an old powerboat with an old engine. Costs to replace a full rig and suit of sails after 20 years of use can buy a lot of diesel.

... But I can spot bad rigging more easily than a bad spring in the clutch.

Also, unless it is a very serious storm, I still have the engine and generally enough fuel for a great distance.

I think if we log the frequency of "won't start" and "engine failure" against "dismasting" we will find the ratio is at least 100:1, and I do not believe I am exaggerating.

I'm not picking on well-maintained boats of any kind and certainly not a well founded trawler. I doubt your the sort that calls for a tow because the fuel ran out. And I've got a sneaking suspicion that well maintained trawlers hold their value very well, for many of the reasons that good sailboats hold value; good quality construction and repairability.

At $4.00/gal, not that much diesel. I'm just an occasional sailor, but I manage ~ 20 years * 1,000 miles per year * 4.00 / 5 mpg = $16,000. Thems' some FINE sails. And then there is the matter of 2900 engine hours. Ouch.