Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 16:53   #31

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: Which Boat Would you Choose?

I have a Tanzer 26 (one up from the 7.5) I can tell you they are well built boats and sail very well. No personal experiences with the others.
Old 29-08-2014, 16:57   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
My first take is to start small and work up. Like motorcycles. To start w/a 110ci Harley right off is a challenge.
I did my motorcycle test on a 125 enduro. There were also about 10 crotch rockets and fat rides.

The first three failed the slalom test. I did the course standing on the pegs in like 45 seconds.

Then I offered to rent my bike to the other 7 waiting - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 19:22   #33

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Ex-Calif +1

We were out one day when I knew the forecast was dodgy. A front had basically stalled within a few miles of our sailing area. Our son was quite young but the boat was strong and I was confident. Thunderstorms and squalls were running along the stalled front. We caught a nasty one - I could see it coming. The sky went green and the roiling clouds dropped to the deck. I got the deck squared away and was planning on scooting back and forth downwind of a gravel bar marked by a nun buoy. I sent the crew below while I kept watch in the cockpit.

The squall passed by within 30 minutes. Winds were measured on shore in excess of 60kts. It was all much fun. When the storm had passed I went below to check on the crew. I learned that the radio had squawked a pon pon with a boat calling for assistance. It turns out a man had gone out with his wife, teenaged son and daughter for a day sail on his new 40' sailboat. Apparently he failed to monitor the weather reports and failed (inexplicably) the obvious signs right over his head. He reportedly had all his sail up when the squall hit. When his boat capsized, his wife and daughter had gone overboard. The man immediately jumped in after them. Only the teenaged son maintained a semblance of sanity - stayed on board, secured the sails and came round to pick up his father, mother and sister - despite never having sailed before.

I begged my wife to go to the dock to meet this hapless family as I was certain I could have that 40' boat for a song, after this fool's wife got thru with him.

Did any of those other bikers take you up on your offer, Ex-Calif?
Old 29-08-2014, 19:46   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captrhino View Post
All good info . All the sailboats on the lake here have outboards. The draft on the Ticon is my only concern with that one . Our average depth is 10ft with standing timber in some areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quote:
Yes at this point trailerable would be ideal. As I'd like to take it to other lakes and the gulf. I appreciate everyone's input so far.

Quote:
Appick, I live on the local lake so I have the advantage of keeping the boat within 20yards of the house. I agree with the trailering would get old that's part o the reason we moved to the lake was I grew tired of hauling the jet skis to the lake every weekend it's much nicer to just walk down and hop on them and go. With keeping one in fresh water how often do I need to haul it out to have it clean? We actually have a sailboat repair shop that has opened up in the last couple years less than 15 miles down the road. I think I will go non trailer able and have it moved to the gulf when/if I ever wanted to. Here's a shot of my dock . Attachment 87250. I want to keep the boat where the jet ski is sitting and have two pilings put in to keep it from banging into anything .

Quote:
Not quite to that extreme but I get your point . It's just my lake depth and depth at my dock that's concerning me . I could go daggerboard route, would that give me a feel of how a keel boat will act or do they act totally different ?

You have a pretty great setup - Some would kill for a dock in their front yard.

You may be asking too much from one boat. Maybe look for a shoal draft boat, twin keel. That will do 95% of your sailing on the lake.

Then as you get to know the boat you can decide if it will do ocean - probably will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Ex-Calif +1

We were out one day when I knew the forecast was dodgy. A front had basically stalled within a few miles of our sailing area.
<snip>

Did any of those other bikers take you up on your offer, Ex-Calif?
Great story.

And regards the bikers. Too much hubris and lack of $100 bills...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 20:04   #35

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Ex-Calif +1
Old 29-08-2014, 20:25   #36

Boat: 19' Lightning

I would look for a J 24, many of them and they are cheap. Easily trailed and launched since they only draw 4'. Very forgiving boat that is fast and easy to sail. Lots of used sails available as well as equipment. Not overly comfortable for overnighting, but in a pinch a motel is always better than a boat. I raced one for eight years in the chop and slop of Buzzards Bay where the square waves average 7' and the wind howls at 25+ kts on any given afternoon. Could not break that boat.
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 19:09   #37

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Would anyone suggest jumping into a bigger type boat with no sailing experience or go with a dinghy type sailor first?

I would do neither until you've taken some lessons. Apologies if you've already had some but the first thing to do is learn how to sail safely especially if you're going to take your family with you.
Old 31-08-2014, 09:54   #38

Quote:
Would anyone suggest jumping into a bigger type boat with no sailing experience or go with a dinghy type sailor first?

Unless it's truly dingy sailing (which is good sail trim etc experience) I see no point in say a 23 footer vs a 35 footer really.
Also, Personally, I think the "sailing the boat" is the easiest part of owning one. All the other stuff on a bigger boat is what is challenging, navigation, repairs, anchoring etc...
There is really no great learning to be experienced docking a 20 footer vs a heavy large boat. The 20 footer reacts totally different and if you misjudge you just stop it with your hands. The big heavy boat is not the same anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote