Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 02:41   #31

Boat: Able 50
If you can confine your expectations to the 34 - 36ft bracket so many possibiities arise. One of these would take you anywhere in the world and you could easily spend your first few years learning to sail it without blowing the budget. It is not so big that it would intimidate. This boat would be ideal for sailing to Queensland and cruising the reef.

Used S & S 36 for Sale | Yachthub

Go a little smaller and even more opportunities open up. These were very popular in their day and would be great for learning on. They are not a blue water cruiser but ideal for weekends aboard and occasional races.

Used Northshore 33 for Sale | Yachthub

My two thoughts.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 02:55   #32

Thanx Savior both beautiful boats with the S & S 36 being the one that stands out, very nice choice of boats.

Would like to look deeper into the S & S 36 to see a layout plan, looks a very nice boat. Certainly ticks the 'sexy" box.
Joey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 03:27   #33
cruiser

ferro hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey26 View Post
Everything I want in a boat seems to be pointing to a Ferro, Big, Strong, Roomy, Comfortable then tell me why I am scared to buy one.

Is it all the negative vibe, can the boat actually explode and put my family in danger?

The boat I am looking at is a Fijian Hartley and after speaking to the owner I somehow believe in his words.

95k for a ferro seems a bit expensive but he assures me that I am gettimg alot of boat, best of every thing and roomy comfort. Even has a bathtub

Hmmm looks like I have some thinking to do, i would hate to waste this opportunity.

the boat:
Used 1988 HARTLEY FIJIAN Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au
-seems your asking forum to critique this ferro hull motorsailor,,as your in aus{oz} and probably working in aus dollars you might be interested in a hartley tahitian lying in new zealand at 69000 nz dollars and it is a 1986 model ,,center cockpit ketch rigged motorsailor,,just google "hartley tahitian new zealand" and that should bring it to your computer screen..otherwise PM me and i will dig back through my harddrive and find the broker listing for you as a favour ,was only few months ago and doubt boat has sold,,ferros are a hard resell unless dirt cheap,,have you bothered to check insurability if necessary as most ins. co. wont insure ferro hulls{dont know reason},,seems like strong enough construction but met sailor from BC{canada} who told me insurance company in canada wouldnt insure his boat for liability only coverage,,strange info and i never bothered to verify with my agent as im not interested in insuring ferrohull,later
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 03:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey26 View Post
Thanx Savior both beautiful boats with the S & S 36 being the one that stands out, very nice choice of boats.

Would like to look deeper into the S & S 36 to see a layout plan, looks a very nice boat. Certainly ticks the 'sexy" box.
Not too sure about the "sexy" bit. They are a little plain and sluggish by modern standards. Nonetheless they will get you there - no matter where the "there" might be.
Old 19-02-2011, 03:54   #35

Savior: Sexy to me is nice clean sleek lines and where i can see the reflection of glass on the hull. The interior is definitely on the plain side but the outside looked kinda nice, it was eye catchy.

Pullord: Reason for the Ferro consideration is space, heavy displacement for sailing comfort and cost.

The one I was looking at seemed really nice and the owner gave me a lot of his time. I know he is selling but sometimes you can read how genuine they are but in the end I am the one who is buying.

So far most professional advice says dont spend over 50K on a good Ferro, if a Ferro at all. That's the word on the street.

Dont know which way I am going to land just yet but have come to feel comfortable with the idea of a 33-38 footer.

Still like the sound of Compass 33 Inovator Ketch to be nice learning boat for the next 3-4 years. Wouldn't mind someones opinion on a ketch.
Joey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 16:08   #36

The S & S designs of the 70's are famous for sailing more smoothly than anything. No shake, rattle n' roll just an easy flowing motion. That's why Jessica Watson used an S & S 34. There's one of them for sale too.

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...s/s-s-34/85525

Yes, I have owned an S & S, '76 model.
Old 19-02-2011, 16:14   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

She looks pretty good to me mate..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_3.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	23962   Click image for larger version

Name:	7_3.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	23963  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 16:28   #38

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
I like the Pearson sailboats - solid glass and seaworthy. Small port holes so can take the waves if a nasty one hits you offshore. Both sloops and ketches by this manufacturer. You could always buy a ketch and remove the mizzen mast if everything else about the boat was to your liking. Pearsons are beautiful boats on the interior with lots of teak.

To further befuddle you, a center cockpit boat usually has a nice large aft master cabin with insuite head.

My fav sloop like that is the 42' Moody. It has foam core, but I can deal with that. These are recognized as good cruising boats and have made ocean passages.

All these boats under $100K are in really sorry condition, except the one we bought - a 42' Pearson.

btw, a 32' boat, or really anything under 40' in an older design could feel small inside. The later model boats are beamier and have more fully developed sterns - ie not wine glass. A recent Catalina or Beneteau in the 35' range might fit your specs - those are nice boats. I'd try the Bene. Only thing I don't like about the Beneteau are the keel bolts which always looked rusted on the boats we saw.

As for ferrocement - if it sounds too expensive, don't go there. And get a survey, before you buy, no matter what you buy.

There's always something about every boat that isn't perfect. don't miss the good while searching for the perfect.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 17:16   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
If you haven't fallen in love with the boat, don't buy it. While your budget certainly won't put you in the range of the ultimate dream yacht, it's certainly enough money that you should be able to locate a boat that's going to ring your bell.

The problem with ferro boats is that the great majority of them were built by people who had never before built a boat.
Old 20-02-2011, 04:26   #40

That S & S 36 had me intrigued. I had thought it was a 36ft version of the 1970's designed 34 and 39 - but the cabin top didn't look as it should have. Time for a little detective work. It turns out to be a completely different and later designed style of boat that would be much faster than the 34 or 39.

It is an early 80's production racer which looks like a mighty fine version of the genre too. Not very many were ever built, maybe 10 ? ? ? Here are some drawings.

Name:	S & S 36 - 2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	23967

Name:	S & S 36.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	23968

I agree that the interior of this one is ordinary. Probably it was a later amateur attempt to improve the racing fitout. Give it a little neat timberwork and it could become a mighty nice boat. I found this other one in Manila and it has a much more stylish professionally installed interior. It may not still be for sale.

http://www.pgyc.org/Images/Classified/CA-sns36-ving.pdf

Elementary my dear Watson.