Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 06:15   #1

Boat: CN 48 - Equus
Where to sell?

Dear Members:

The time is approaching for me to swallow the anchor. Any thoughts on where on the east coast of N. America is the better place to sell a 48' motor sailing ketch?

Thanks.

Steve Lochner
slochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:57   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Where to sell?

ft. lauderdale/miami, or annapolis
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09   #3

Well, certainly South Florida and the Chesapeake Bay area are where you will find the most boats being sold. On the other hand, if you want to sell it quickly, and if you price it right, you might sell it more quickly in a place where fewer boats are being offered.

Then, too, there's the question of why you have decided you want to sell it on the east coast. It would appear from your profile that the boat is in Alaska. Are you sure that it is worth it to transfer it to the east coast just to sell it? My suspicion is that it is not.

In the end, there are a lot of different variables at play that must all be considered before you can determine what is the "better place" for selling the boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48   #4

Boat: CN 48 - Equus
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well, certainly South Florida and the Chesapeake Bay area are where you will find the most boats being sold. On the other hand, if you want to sell it quickly, and if you price it right, you might sell it more quickly in a place where fewer boats are being offered.

Then, too, there's the question of why you have decided you want to sell it on the east coast. It would appear from your profile that the boat is in Alaska. Are you sure that it is worth it to transfer it to the east coast just to sell it? My suspicion is that it is not.

In the end, there are a lot of different variables at play that must all be considered before you can determine what is the "better place" for selling the boat.
Thank you for those thoughts. I obviously need to update my profile. Currently cruising New England waters. Boat has enclosed hard pilot house, so it is great for those areas with wet weather, like Boston today. Maybe take her back to England, where she was built?
slochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Boats like yours are sold very specific buyers. You did not mention it, but I assume you are using a broker, which will give you the best publicity coverage.

I would recommend keeping it in the Northeast, because it was built for cold weather, but as long as you in a large city with an airport for potential buyers to visit it, you should be fine...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 15:49   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just my experience from looking on line for boats in the last 10 years that higher prices are asked the further north you are. If yours is a good cold weather boat then it would be best to sell up north as Jeremiason said.
Old 09-08-2013, 16:06   #7

My impression is prices are generally higher further north... I guess because boats arent so sun baked.. so you might get a little more money. Bigger boating centers might get a quicker sale... maybe not, less inventory in saller areas...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote