Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:17   #46

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Here's a real good hint.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjersey View Post
it is from 1978
I see ppl asking many different prices in these vessels
and one thing are asking prices and another is actual selling prices, maybe also broker's fees etc
Follow the link formerly noted to "yachtworld"....note that TWO(2) of these listed are UNDER CONTRACT, contact THOSE Brokerages, ask what the contracted selling prices are talking to the listing broker (he won't want to tell You initially for "confidentiality" reasons...that's more BS AS...) then inform him that You have 1 JUST Like his about to be sold that You'd Like to LIST, title/document(both?) in hand, 1k hrs on motors, etc. & I ga-ron-tee his/her mouth starts flapping like a sail on a boat hove to (<--imagine Your kid holding a pinwheel out the window doing 60mph ).

He'll/She'll ALSO have a LIST of everyone (including Phone Numbers/email addy's who looked at this 1 now under contract. What folks are actually WILLING to PAY is what they're worth, along w/condition yes, no 2 are the same, however Sight unseen You can bank on the higher end of the spectrum w/those hrs on the motors...I'm guessing the owner kept her in pretty good shape.

Keep calling the brokers, there's a charter company out there that would Love to get their hands on Your boat & take good care of it.
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:42   #47

Mick,

you have such great suggestions, but the reality is that there are too many unknowns starting from the wishes of the gifter, their relationship, this contractual agreement, etc.

newjersey,

Honestly, from everything I'm reading, this seems like a great gift for someone looking for such a gift, but for you it seems to be an even bigger burden. It's 'only' worth around $100k assuming it's in really good condition, so I don't know why you'd want these headaches. The amount of money you may sink into it's upkeep/storage for 3-years you may not even be able to recoup when you sell the boat.

I would go to a broker and find out the true value of the boat, what people actually pay for it. Figure out what your TCO will be and subtract one from the other (figure in for slight depreciation and interest) and you'll have the total value of your 'investment.' I bet by the time you're done doing all the math you'll figure it's easier to politely refuse the gift stating you can't afford the vessel rather than taking something you really can't afford to keep.

If buying a boat were the end of it, I'd have my dream yacht sitting at the docks right now.

Just my humble opinion based on all the information I've read in this thread.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:15   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Just a side note: Are there many powerboat charter companies that are willing to take on a thirty-plus-year-old boat?

Wouldn't happen in the sailing charter fleets without a Real Good Reason.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Just a side note: Are there many powerboat charter companies that are willing to take on a thirty-plus-year-old boat?

Wouldn't happen in the sailing charter fleets without a Real Good Reason.
I made some phone calls, This is what they told me
look at post 40
newjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new jersey