Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 05:58   #1

Boat: Discovery 50
VAT and non-EU wife

We are contemplating buying a new boat from a Sth African builder with delivery end 2020. Ideally the plan would be to sail from Cape Town to the Med for a season and then take the boat West to Carribs and then onward to the Pacific. I am UK resident. My wife has a USA passport but is also currently UK resident (though not working) and applying for dual citizenship which is likely to become available to her within the next 12 months. She still has a property in USA in her name.

If we bought the boat in her name can we avail ourselves of the Yacht Temporary Importation legislation giving us up to 18 mos cruising the Med without incurring VAT liability ? Either before or after she obtains her EU passport ?

Similarly even after she gets dual citizenship can she use her USA passport and USA address upon first port of call into the EU to clear customs as evidence of her non-EU status ?

Fully appreciate I need proper legal advice but just seeking some input from this forum.

I appreciate potential Brexit is likely to have some effect on this too.
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote