Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2020, 12:09   #61

Re: Use tax question Florida

So if I buy a boat in Florida and move it to Alabama within 90 days where I document and register it, keep that boat in Alabama for 6 months, then move it to Florida and go to register it there...do I have to pay use tax?

It seems not.
Bjhdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 12:23   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjhdes View Post
So if I buy a boat in Florida and move it to Alabama within 90 days where I document and register it, keep that boat in Alabama for 6 months, then move it to Florida and go to register it there...do I have to pay use tax?

It seems not.

When is Tax Due?
Unless exempt, a boat must be titled or registered in Florida with any county tax collector, licensed private tag agency, or the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles:
• Within 30 days of the purchase date or the date the boat entered Florida; or
• Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, when the boat is documented, licensed, titled, or registered in another state.
Florida use tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax, due on a boat purchased in Florida or brought into Florida within six (6) months of the date of purchase, is paid at the time of licensing, titling, or registering the boat in Florida.

http://https://floridarevenue.com/Fo...t/gt800005.pdf
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 12:32   #63

Quote:

It seems not.

I'd think they'd be all over that. Particularly if you're a Florida resident.

If you do that, report back and let us know how it goes.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 13:09   #64

Quote:
So if I buy a boat in Florida and move it to Alabama within 90 days where I document and register it, keep that boat in Alabama for 6 months, then move it to Florida and go to register it there...do I have to pay use tax? It seems not.
You must own AND USE the boat in Alabama for at least six months. Florida officials have pursued court cases (and won) against people who moved the boat out of Florida, but just left it in storage until the six months was up. So, bring it back soon after the six months is up and they may want to see gas receipts, pump-out receipts, whatever, which would prove that you were actually using the boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:13   #65

Thanks everyone for the responses.

To clarify, I’m a non Florida resident if that matters.

It seems unclear as to whether the use tax exemption applies for boats bought in Florida.

@Montanan - the link doesn’t work for me.
Bjhdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:14   #66

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

To clarify, I’m a non Florida resident if that matters.

It seems unclear as to whether the use tax exemption applies for boats bought in Florida.

@Montanan - the link doesn’t work for me.
Oops that didn't for me either.

Perhaps this one:

https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_lib...t/gt800005.pdf
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 15:41   #67

Quote:
It does, if they are moved out of Florida promptly, and then owned and used outside of Florida, in another U.S. jurisdiction, for at least six months.
Old 18-05-2020, 16:03   #68

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The link from Montanan is well written and makes it pretty clear. My situation, a non Floridian bought a boat from a dealer (important - you can see the politics here). They file a Florida Affidavit of Non Residence (no fee). They (not you) put a sticker on the boat. If you can't get out of dodge within 90 days (we will be tight due to Covid), you can apply, again through your dealer, for another 90 days but costs $425 and must be filed more than 30 days prior to the end of the 90 days. We are taking the boat north for hurricane season but plan on bringing it south in November. Assuming we leave Florida July 1 we can only bring it back to Florida for 20 days plus days for repair in November as we won't be out of the state six months. Our plan is either to directly sail to the Bahamas from Norfolk, or if repairs needed, take it to Just Catamarans. Documentation is key and that attachment tells you what you need. Because the exemption requires a dealer, and I would guess every dealer in Florida knows how to handle it, it should be easy for you. Good luck.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 16:38   #69
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:

good question and probably one that only the tax collector's office could answer. I am thinking the fact that you purchased it in Florida and did not pay sales tax would be a problem. In my case I had to show proof that I had paid the tax in another state but the boat did not need to be previously registered.
Old 19-05-2020, 07:35   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
good question and probably one that only the tax collector's office could answer.
Asking the tax collector's office might just be the WORST way to get the right answer. Especially if you are talking about one of the county tax collector's offices. They are notoriously BAD at answering questions like this correctly. The offices in Tallahassee are a little better, but far from perfect.

Best is to look at the links that have already been provided, to official State-of-Florida documentation. Maybe even print them and bring them with you to the tax collector's office.

If you are up for digging through a little bit of legalese, that really isn't all that hard to understand if you read through it slowly, here is a link to an official Florida state website with the full text of the sales/use tax laws...
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Old 19-05-2020, 08:56   #71

Here is my experience. My boat was purchased in Florida but registered in my home state of Delaware. When I moved to Florida I registered the boat in Florida and paid no Purchase Tax to transfer the title...easy
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:59   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
good question and probably one that only the tax collector's office could answer. I am thinking the fact that you purchased it in Florida and did not pay sales tax would be a problem. In my case I had to show proof that I had paid the tax in another state but the boat did not need to be previously registered.

have you ever asked a lawyer if you needed to hire a lawyer?

Brother once built a room addition on his cabin. Out side all finished Neighbor comes over and says you need a building permit in this area. brother goes to get building permit. inspector has to see it . Comes out looks and says every thing ok as to style size etc. But you used recycled timbers in this county you can not use used wood . He had to tear it down and buy new wood.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:20   #73

if you register it in Alabama, then you paid whatever tax applies there. I don't think Fl will require it to be paid after that. If I understand it correctly. Although not sure if 6 months is enough or not.
Let's say you own a boat in some other state for 3 years then move to Florida, you dont have to pay sales tax in Florida there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida