Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 13:39   #16

Re: US Health Insurance for Domestic Cruising?

There are traveler insurances, although most of them are oriented toward international travelers.

The catch is that they are not "Obamacare compliant" which means they have some cost changes and eligibility changes based on medical history and other issues, and almost impossible to get if you do not now have insurance.

Ours (with geo blue) covers us anywhere with a very deep set of network providers in the USA and around the world.

It might not be suitable for you because it DOES require you to be "scheduled" to be outside the USA for 3 months a year. Don't give up becasue some none experts say it is not possible. Take to insurance brokers, and do some more google research. If you work outside the official "Obamacare" pool you might find something suited.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 14:05   #17

Boat: Catalina 34

I am a fellow cruiser and also have a health insurance agency that can help you. Please feel free to contact me.

360-241-4187
wingate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 14:23   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsj View Post
Check you Christian Medi-Share. It's cost sharing, not traditional insurance. I've had it for 2.5 years. Love it. 61 yrs old and pay 371 a month.
Nice for minor stuff. What happens when you get an$800,000 bill?
Quote:
Each month, your monthly share is matched with another’s eligible medical bills. Through a secure online portal, Medi-Share publishes the bills eligible for sharing and coordinates the direct sharing of medical costs between members. You will know every month whose bills you are paying, and when you have eligible bills, your fellow believers will be sharing those and praying for you.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 14:48   #19

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsj View Post
john61ct,

it is a private organization for Christians. I suppose Jews, Buddhist, Hindu's and Muslims can create their own cost savings health plans.

With 10,466 posts in a little over 2 years, me thinks John has way too much time on his hands. (and no boat) Go buy a boat John. This is a cruising forum. Go buy a boat.
Old 22-05-2019, 10:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Never heard of such a thing. Shop around and get a different insurer. Mine is good world wide up to and including a helicopter evacuation from Mt. Everest if I should ever try to climb it and twist my ankle. Outside the US I do have to make payment arrangements and submit the bills for reimbursement for my own insurer. Outside the US many foreign countries will cover you with their national health plan.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 10:18   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So why not state exactly who offers this great coverage?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, health, health insurance, insurance