Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 10:42   #1

Boat: S2 11.0a
US Coast Guard COD 5-year renewal

FWIW - it was time to renew my Certificate of Documentation and I wanted to take advantage of the 5 year renewal option they are now phasing in. (Eventually all recreational renewals will be 5 years)

The 5 year renewal currently can only be done by sending the forms in - no online option is available.

After some poking around, here's what I did .... I download forms CD-1280 Vessel Renewal Notification and CG-7042 Authorization of Credit Card. They can be filled out in Adobe Reader and saved with those fields filled in. The only odd piece was adding a digital signature, but you can follow the wizard and it steps you through it.

For the 5 year option, here's how I think they want it and this is what worked for me - see the pic attached for the fields in question.

I emailed the 2 forms to NVDC.PDF.FILING@uscg.mil on 01/14/19 and figured it was going to take a while, due to the US Federal Government shutdown then happening. The shutdown ended on 01/25 .... I received by new COD today, 02/15? Very well done, National Vessel Documentation Center! And it is a 5 year COD, so I don't have to worry each year about where I might be and how to get the new paper form....

I like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5year.png
Views:	302
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	185979  
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 10:51   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: US Coast Guard COD 5-year renewal

Good on you! Glad it worked well for you.

I printed the forms and hand wrote on them about the same thing you did by Adobe. I snail mailed them January 16 and just heard from my son that it arrived today.

The five year renewal will make life easier for me, at least for the next five years.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 11:59   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Is the documentation you got back good for 5 years? Or is it just 1 year and they automatically send you a renewal each year if the 5?
Old 15-02-2019, 12:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

The current system is to renew for one year five times basically; you can do it all at once by sending in the forms; at least one person sent in PDF's of the forms by email successfully. The USCG is working on a new system where Recreational (only) COD's are automatically good for five years (period). I'll continue to post as these things start to change
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is the documentation you got back good for 5 years? Or is it just 1 year and they automatically send you a renewal each year if the 5?
Good question - I got a 5 year form ... see screenshot. You hold onto this COD for 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190215-150107.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	185987  
Old 15-02-2019, 13:33   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinScurr View Post
Good question - I got a 5 year form ... see screenshot. You hold onto this COD for 5 years.
Thanks for the info. That's a true 5 year renewal. You get it and don't need to worry about for 5 years including finding a place to mail it to.
Old 15-02-2019, 14:23   #7
cruiser

since i've been upgrading boats every 1-2 years, dont want to commit to five years. takes one minute to renew online, i just set a calendar reminder a couple weeks before it expires.
Boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:50   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Thanks for letting us know. Looks like annual fee has increased to $75 annually and $300 for 5 years ($60/y). Did I read that right?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 10:07   #9

Sail sf bay, that is a company that has been offering to process the paperwork for you. They have been sending out “Official” looking letter for renewal. This is not the Coast Gaurd. The official USCG fee is $26 per year, don’t be fooled.
Escapaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 11:35   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Thanks for letting us know. Looks like annual fee has increased to $75 annually and $300 for 5 years ($60/y). Did I read that right?
USCG documentation is $26 per year

Its right on their NVDC website
Old 16-02-2019, 11:37   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We were in a hurry to get our renewal last year when we got an email notice from Vessel Documentation Online. We were leaving the country and wanted the docs before we left. So, we paid $150 to this service for fast delivery. What we got were repeated notices for more info, which we supplied. We finally realized they were not going to send the docs, just more notices. We asked Visa to stop the payment. We then got a very rude and, in our opinion, threatening email notice from the service saying we should not stop payment. Somehow, they got the money from Visa and we never got the docs.

So we called the USCG and they said they were aware of the "unofficial" service but could not do anything about our lost payment. They did send us new docs in a week for $26. They also said that, even if we did not have our docs on-board and were stopped by the USCG for a check, the officers would just check on-line to see if we were, in fact, documented.

Lesson learned. Beware of anything other than the USCG for your renewals.

Cheers!
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 11:54   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
We were in a hurry to get our renewal last year when we got an email notice from Vessel Documentation Online. We were leaving the country and wanted the docs before we left. So, we paid $150 to this service for fast delivery. What we got were repeated notices for more info, which we supplied. We finally realized they were not going to send the docs, just more notices. We asked Visa to stop the payment. We then got a very rude and, in our opinion, threatening email notice from the service saying we should not stop payment. Somehow, they got the money from Visa and we never got the docs.

So we called the USCG and they said they were aware of the "unofficial" service but could not do anything about our lost payment. They did send us new docs in a week for $26. They also said that, even if we did not have our docs on-board and were stopped by the USCG for a check, the officers would just check on-line to see if we were, in fact, documented.

Lesson learned. Beware of anything other than the USCG for your renewals.

Cheers!
It takes a minute or two to fill the renewal form out on the USCG website. Enter your contact info, doc #, check renewal, type in CC #. You get a receipt immediately as proof of the renewal.

USCG can rush process things too. The process is somewhere on their website and IIRC its free (no added charge on top of the normal service). Leaving the country is one of the reasons for rushed service.
Old 16-02-2019, 12:01   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

What is the best way to contact USCG regarding the status and renewal of my USCG documentation?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 12:03   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
What is the best way to contact USCG regarding the status and renewal of my USCG documentation?
Check their NVDC web page

It has their email address and phone #

I find their email responses to be pretty quick (but that was before the shutdown)
Old 16-02-2019, 12:28   #15

Renewal is $26 per year or 5 years for $130. I almost fell for one of those bogus paperwork companies. The USCG process is pretty darn easy when you look.

I had to call the NVDC with a question and they were fantastic! Easy to talk to, very helpful, and fast. Check the website for the number the site will be a uscg.mil address. If you Google NVDC the top results are the bogus processors, who do a better job of search engine optimization than the USCG...