Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 15:31   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Unreal Insurance Costs for Mexico !

I got a shock today. The cost of insuring my boat for the trip to Mexico. It is unbelievable. I nearly fainted. In my years of boating I have never found something like this. -- there will be no charge. They are extending my navigation limits and allowing me to go all the way to Cabo San Lucas on a seasonal basis. Nearly fell over.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 16:34   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Please share with us the name of your insurance company, annd what the yearly premium is!!!!It sounds like an awfully good deal!!!! Hope the insure on the East Coast also.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 16:50   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
So what happens when you go to La Paz or Mazatlan? At some point, you pay the piper.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 16:50   #4

American Marine Insurance. They write Markel Insurance annual premium is ~$2400 a year. I imagine the write this insurance on the east coast b/c the underwriter is out of VA.It was $1521 when I laid up for the winter a few years back.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 18-08-2009, 16:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So what happens when you go to La Paz or Mazatlan? At some point, you pay the piper.

Paul L
They go by Latitude. I can't go further south than Cabo. I trust they give me a few miles to go around the point but La paz is the same price.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 19-08-2009, 09:45   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Be careful: your premiums may not have risen because USA insurance is not valid in Mexico. See BoatUS. Here is a snipet: >>>> Liability Coverage in Mexico Boaters are required by law to show coverage from a Mexican insurance provider in the event of an accident. Make sure you’re covered with a short term policy from our partner insurance provider in Mexico.<<< For further information look at:
http://www.boatus.com/insurance/policy.asp#mexico
Notice the requirement to have a MEXICAN INSURANCE PROVIDER.
- - So your American insurance company would have to have an agreement/connection to a Mexican Insurance Provider to cover you when your boat is in Mexican waters. And you would need documents in Spanish to that effect available if you get into an incident.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
They go by Latitude. I can't go further south than Cabo. I trust they give me a few miles to go around the point but La paz is the same price.
Plus, judging from the annual premium cost, you already have a cruisers policy. I would not expect it to change much based on location (as long as you are out of storm season).

Paul L
Old 19-08-2009, 10:29   #8

Thanks osirissail. That insurance is very expensive. $985 a year. For my boat and my dinghy. I'll have to research it some more.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 19-08-2009, 10:37   #9

CHarlie,
Check your Markel Policy, it may have or be easily available, the Mexican liability rider, along with a copy in Spanish.

Paul L
Old 19-08-2009, 10:51   #10

You need to really shop around for insurance I was quoted $585 for a year on Mexican liability for $50k coverage at the link provided by boat US and then rcvd a quote from International Gateway (800)423.2646 for $221 for the same coverage. I have two other numbers to call.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 19-08-2009, 11:12   #11
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Please keep me posted on this.

I will be doing the Baja HaHa this year and have Boat US coverage all the way down to Puerto Vallarta. Boat US essentially doubles my deductable and my monthly payment while in Mexican waters. They did not mention anything about having to get liability coverage through a Mexican provider.

When we do the PPJ we will switch to Jackline.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:27   #12

Hi Trim:

I just got off the phone with Boat US and they said that they can only cover for 90 days in Mexican waters and that you have to be with the boat at all times. Is that the same story you got? I was quoted $220 for $50k liability coverage from International Gateway (800.423.2646) which was less than half of what the link form Baot US quoted. My understanding is that Mexican Liability is required by Mexico.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 22-08-2009, 12:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Mexican Liability Insurance & Hull Insurance for Mexico

Quote:
Be careful: your premiums may not have risen because USA insurance is not valid in Mexico
Osirissail is partially correct.

Please note:
There are two types of "Mexican" insurance.

One is the standard Yacht Policy, which covers your boat for Hull Damage & P&I Liability. This pays for damages as a result of the operation of your vessel - collision, lightning, theft, sinking, etc. Markel, ACE, and a bunch of other companies that we work with will cover your vessel while navigating Mexican waters for that; Most US companies have restrictions on where you can be during the hurricane season. So this insurance is valid in Mexico for the purposes of protecting your investment in your boat and your liability to other boaters, but to Osirissail's point, it's not what the Mexican government is looking for.

The second type of Mexican insurance is Mexican Liability Insurance, provided by a Mexican Insurance Company. This coverage is required by the Mexican government. These policies are usually quite inexpensive. You usually purchase them IN ADDITION to your regular Yacht Policy. Yes, it is redundant coverage for the P&I liability coverage already on your Yacht Policy- the only difference is that the policy is issued through a Mexican company. IMIS is affiliated with a Mexican company that provides this Mexican Liability Insurance - if you click on the link below,scroll down to Mexican Laibility & you will be re-directed to a Mexican company. IMIS Online Services

~ Susan
Old 22-08-2009, 12:45   #14
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Trim:

I just got off the phone with Boat US and they said that they can only cover for 90 days in Mexican waters and that you have to be with the boat at all times. Is that the same story you got? I was quoted $220 for $50k liability coverage from International Gateway (800.423.2646) which was less than half of what the link form Baot US quoted. My understanding is that Mexican Liability is required by Mexico.
No additional restrictions quoted.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico