Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 13:44   #1

Typical Insurance Blues

Hi all , Looks like my purchase has gone through , or 99.9%.
Yes , an Aussie buying a US registered boat in Mexico.
I am desperate to find an insurerer, please help.
I will try follow with my experience of the sale etc in later threads.

Now I need insurance .

My details , NO EXPERIENCE OR CERTIFICATION.

I need to somehow get cover for the passage from Mexico to the East Coast of Aus . Even if only Liabilty for others .
I also need cover for the boat now , in Mexico for fire , theft etc at least untill April when I plan to start my adventure home.

I am all searched out , so hope someone can make it plane and simple for me.
I thought insurance was for people who needed it , eg inexperienced , but these MOBS expect you to have every acreditation possible, so they are literally covering themselves and getting money for nothing. I best not get started.
I need to get somthing done, and fast.

THANKYOU , THANKYOU
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 13:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

ROFLMAO.......
Sorry Mate... but think back to cars... no licence, no experience and you buy a VW.. Volvo.. whatever... are you seriously thinking you could get cover for it to take it on the road... not a hope in hell.
Why dya think a boats any different... if your really lucky you may get liability to cover the Yard/Marina... and to get it to Oz if you can get hold of a Skipper who's accepted by the company... you may get cover for the trip... but it'll only be valid as long as he's on board....
After that your back to zero....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 14:07   #3

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Try Pantaneaus in Germany for third party only mate, worked for me, $300 usd and no excess, no worries, nothing needed!!
Safe sailing mate.
Old 21-11-2010, 14:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I best not get started.
You may want to take this one step at a time. Getting property coverage for being in a marina in Mexico would be the first step since you can use the time to deal with the rest. Coverage for the passage seems to be the lessor issue at least now in November. If you can't do everything you can can at least try for something less.

Personally, I would see wintering over as the primary risk today.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 14:42   #5

I believe I have tried Pantaneaus , but maybe not just for third party . Better than noting , as you say .
Paul , I take on board what your saying , thanks . Its just Im in panic mode as the boat will have no insurance what so ever, I would think as soon as the US deletion certificate is issued.
Phil , sorry mate not really what I want to hear , no matter how right you are .
Old 21-11-2010, 14:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Try Pantaneaus in Germany for third party only mate, worked for me, $300 usd and no excess, no worries, nothing needed!!
Safe sailing mate.
Surfmachine.... basically your saying that Pantaenius covered a boat you bought in Mexico/USA third party for the period it was there and the Pacific crossing for just $300..... I'm Gobsmacked....
I've used them for years and yes they're bloody good.... but that good.....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-11-2010, 14:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
I believe I have tried Pantaneaus , but maybe not just for third party . Better than noting , as you say .
Paul , I take on board what your saying , thanks . Its just Im in panic mode as the boat will have no insurance what so ever, I would think as soon as the US deletion certificate is issued.
Phil , sorry mate not really what I want to hear , no matter how right you are .
Where there's a will... there's always a way.... take the finger of the panic button and think outside the box

Old 21-11-2010, 15:22   #8

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Boatman61, yes, the coverage was world wide third party, but I ended up cruising around Thailand and Indonesia, only third party, not hull insurance, yes $300 usd per year and no excess with millions of cover, from their German branch.
They would not even consider hull insurance as I was single handing most of the time. I can send the insurance documents to you if you like?

Turns out that hull insurance would have been a good thing?!

Cheers fromKeith.
Old 21-11-2010, 15:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

No.. your OK.. no need...
I've usually gone for full hull cover in the past... or not bothered with any at all if its a cheap old boat and I've done my own survey....
Like you I solo a lot and they'll only cover me to 200miles offshore with the hull cover...
My current boats a real cheapie so have not bothered with any.. the cost of a survey would be close on half what I paid for her... and I know she'd fail..lol

Old 21-11-2010, 15:48   #10

Boat: Hunter Vision
Just a thought. Document the vessel in the name of a U.S. Corporation and hire a Licensed U.S.C. G captian as registered captian of the vessel. retain him or her for your passage.
Fair Winds & Our Lord's Blessings
Ed & Bonnie
Fishers Of Men
Almost Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
Now I need insurance .

My details , NO EXPERIENCE OR CERTIFICATION.

You're going to need to hire a paid captain to give you 4+ days training, and that captain is then going to have to sign a form saying that you've been trained in all the various boat operation docking, anchoring, maintenance, rules of the road, etc) and that they are comfortable with you operating the vessel. Then the insurance company will let you operate the boat without a paid captain aboard. Since you're in a higher risk category than more experience boaters, this insurance will not be cheap, but you are probably insurable.

And with this company, if the boat is 5 years of age or older, you'll need a hauled Condition & Valuation survey for it to be insurable.
Old 26-11-2010, 20:04   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Document the vessel in the name of a U.S. Corporation" And a US corporation that is 51% owned by a US citizen is required for documentation, so he'd also have to sell the boat or gamble on fraud by hiring a shill--who would actually own the boat.

Incidentally, IMIS has a top reputation. If you find their quote seem high--doublecheck to make sure you're getting all of the same coverage from someone else. A lot of companies would try to pull the wool over your eyes as a first-timer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 12:55   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I'd consider getting some kind of accredited training, maybe day sailor or yachtsman near coastal. The cost of the class may offset a significant portion of the inflated fee. And you'll have some knowledge, because sailing isn't tough, but it isn't easy either.

Good luck with the boat. Oz is a long first passage so I'd recommend getting some sea time in the Sea of Cortez. There are a lot of licensed captains there who may be willing to sign an affidavit attesting to your basic competence.
Old 27-11-2010, 13:36   #14

All good advice , looking into a few options now .thankyou
Yes i am intending to at least try obtain some training in heavy weather tactics ,and do as much trialling of the boat as possible in The Sea of Cortez .
Old 27-11-2010, 14:36   #15

Boat: Catalina 350
The only difficulty with a USCG captain would be that you could be buying a pig in a poke. Undoubtedly skilled in interpreting the light sequences of various categories of vessels from various angles and the ability to pass a written test, but actual sailing ability is self declared.
If you needed for insurance some form of certification then you might be better off seeking an ASA instructor (if it something american that you want, but it seems the only USA link is a prior registration?).

With an ASA instructor you would have some certainty of the instructors
a) ability to sail.
b) ability to teach you to sail.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote