Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 04:43   #1

Boat: Island Packet 370
Title Transfer of US Boat Out of Country Seller & Purchaser

We are in the process of completing the purchase of our boat and things are starting to get complicated. The boat was originally purchased by a US citizen from an American boat manufacturer. Was sold a few years ago to a South American owner. The boat remained in the US after purchase by the second owner. We Canadians come along & purchase the boat. The selling broker shows us the documentation required and the process the brokerage goes through to transfer the title to us. Seems pretty straight forward, notarized bill of sale, lien searches and documents showing chain of ownership through past owners. Previously our Canadian broker had suggested we consider using an Agent (lawyer) he recommended to deal with the transfer & registration process in Canada. Yesterday he told us they never do the transfer paperwork, it is always done by an Agent. Yesterday our broker told us that the Canadian agent isn't able to do the work, it will have to be done by an American agent and suggested an American agent (lawyer) to do the transfer. The sellers broker tells us that he has never had agents or lawyers involved in the process and their brokerage documents the transfer of ownership as part of the service. Up until recently I was led to believe that the brokerage dealt with the transfer documents etc as a part of their commission. How is a transfer of ownership usually handled when purchasing a boat?
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 04:56   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Title Transfer of US Boat Out of Country Seller & Purchaser

My US built boat came from the Boston area and was brought into Ontario. The trucking company checked in with Canadian Customs and paid the HST at the border.

When it arrived I just went and registered it federally which was just the proof that the HST had been paid and the bill of sale. The Bill of Sale was Notarized but I am not sure that was necessary. Nothing to it!

Now it is Provincially registered at Service Ontario but just as simple. Not really a big deal in any way as far as mine went.

Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 05:24   #3

Boat: Island Packet 370
Re: Title Transfer of US Boat Out of Country Seller & Purchaser

I should add that we have no plans to bring the boat to Canada at this time. The question really I suppose is does the transfer process require a lawyer?
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchase