Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 09:20   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: Tipping Bareboat Charter Company Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Police who risk their lives don't get tipped. Firemen who save lives dont get tipped. Surgeons who cure disease dont get tipped. Yet those who carry food to a table, tie a rope to a cleat or pump diesel fuel into a tank are?

Are you people serious?
Waiters often make minimum wage with no medical or retirement. Small boat operators often make low wages (crew less) and rely on tips. That's how the system works for better or worse. Tell me I didn't risk my life in 82 mph off of Victoria one day (one example). Most cops never hear a gunshot or are ever in life threatening situations. Love cops & firemen but be real.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48   #17

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I have chartered at least a dozen times and never tip. Frankly, it never occurred to me and to be honest, the checkout services of the crew are often very cursory, perhaps because they have a number of boats they must checkout or check in with a tight turn around. Also in some cases language can be a problem. In general I have found that the Moorings/Sunsail is the most efficient and Dream Yacht not so much. But it will vary from base to base. But tip? No way.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:57   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Customary tip only on Crewed Yachts. Normally the captain will have too much class to ask you for it.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:58   #19

I serve as a charter captain on local sails of 2 to 8 hours. The practice on tipping is varies widely with most charterers tipping from $20 to $120 and some not tipping at all. I once took out a famous movie star for a day charter and didn't receive a tip, presumably because she didn't think it was required. I am thinking of posting a sign in the cabin: "Gratuities not expected but greatly appreciated". This way, if someone doesn't tip it will be a conscious choice and not based on ignorance. Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:44   #20

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Waiters often make minimum wage with no medical or retirement. Small boat operators often make low wages (crew less) and rely on tips. That's how the system works for better or worse. Tell me I didn't risk my life in 82 mph off of Victoria one day (one example). Most cops never hear a gunshot or are ever in life threatening situations. Love cops & firemen but be real.
17 states only require the federal Fair Labor Standards Act rate ($2.13/hour) for tipped employees. Another 26 or so only pay a set rate above that rate, but below the state's minimum wage. These are occupations where tips are expected.

Nobody expects to tip first responders, as those jobs are considered a career in the US and they are compensated 'adequately'. But that waiter, unless living in one of 7 states (primarily on the west coast) paying full state minimum wage, is making well below minimum wage. They depend on tips.

Everybody knows first responders potentially risk their lives in the execution of their duties. But they also don't make potentially $17.04 before taxes for an 8 hour shift. That is the reality for servers in the first category I mentioned, before their tips. That comes out to $85.20 a week, by the way.

I don't believe anyone in the US in the charter industry falls into the below-minimum-wage category. I'd still tip for exceptional service. But not a percentage of the charter.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 13:03   #21

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

I was a charter capt for several decades, along with instructing sail and power.

As posted, we were paid by the charter company, and supposed to be making
35.00 / hr. However, the company took $ 10.00 of that, and made thier major bucks of several hundred to thousands, depending on how many days, and if it was a day, or night charter, or a three day charter to Catalina Island.

I got down to the boat, over an hour before the charter party was to arrive, and made sure the decks and below spaces were clean, vessel fueled and water tanks topped off, all heads operational, holding tanks as required, fuel, oil , batteries , engine coolant, all electrical systems working, cabin lights, running lights, anchor light, depth sounder, VHF, ( wind instruments if sailing vessel ), life jackets for everyone, and emergency gear, etc, etc, etc.

Sometimes I was on my own, but larger vessel charters I had a deck hand.

I was responsible for the vessel and the safety of the passengers and crew as well. We were always pleasant, and usually were able to talk with and make friends with the charter parties.

Also, would advise them on things to do ashore, and shore boat hours, and best places to eat, hike, shop,etc.

Upon returning, we helped them to disembark and with their personal gear.

DOCK STORY AND SAVING A LIFE :

Christmas Parade of Lights, Newport Harbor, 55 Foot motor vessel, about 30 passengers, give or take. We cruised the decorated channels, homes, docks, and the several hundred vessels that were in the parade , we cruised along with them, and would also , heave to out of the parade line for photos and christmas greetings. My charter passengers were wined and dined, and had great times.

Our slip, one one of many at the sailing club, and we docked stern to. But, the slip itself was designed to have boats dock bow in, and there was a space between the aft swim platform on the boat, and the dock.

About, 11:00 pm, we were back at the slip, and disembarking the passengers. I had fallen in love with grandma, who spent most of her time up on the upper steering bridge with me and other family members.

She was very light in stature, maybe 100 pounds, and 5 ' 1 ". Thin lady.
And quite head strong, and bent my ear that her son had chartered the boat, and wanted her to leave her home back east and come out to live with the family in Southern California. " I AM NOT GOING TO DO THAT, I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF. " She was pretty determined as to her intentions.

PROBLEM.... She would not listen to any advice on anything.

We arrive at the docks, and I get everyones attention on how we are going to disembark, and hand any personal gear from the boat to my deck hand, as the stepped from the aft swim step to the dock.

Everyone needed to face the tall metal ladder on the stern that went from the aft deck to the swim step. Very important, Do not go down the swim ladder with facing aft, trying to hold on to the ladder with your arms behind you. VERY UNSAFE.

All is going well, but it is dark, and the water black as ink. Everyone is following my instructions, and I am reminding them of the proper procedure and giving the encouragement.

Once on the swim step, they were to walk toward me, and step from the side of the swim step to the dock.

Well, here comes grandma....she would not listen and came down the stern ladder facing aft, testing and feeling around for the ladder rung, hands behind her fumbling with the ladder. She some how made it to the swimstep.

OK, now turn toward me, and walk along the swim step toward me, and I will help you to the dock.

" NOPE ! Grandma, turns and walks of the long end of the swim step, as she is telling me , SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS DOING.

KERSPLASH : Into the dark inky black water of the bay. Down she goes, and with no body fat, she is sinking fast to the bottom. I laid down on the slip finger, told my deck hand to grab the back of my belt and DO NOT LET ME GO INTO THE WATER.

I could not see grandmas submerged sweet self. no visual on her , period.

Leaning out over the dock, flat on my stomach, I reached down with my arm pointed to the bottom of the bay, and swung my arm in 360 degree turns.

If I do not get her, she will drown. The distance from the swim step , aft to the dock was about two feet. She could surface but she could come up under the dock and still drown.

Hair ! My open fingers swept into her hair, I pulled her up to the surface, and then my arms around her body, wrapped under her armpits and hauled her up on to the dock, sopping wet.

I hugged her, and asked if she was OK .

Grandma looks up at me and said " If I WOULD HAVE HAD SOME OF THAT WINE , I WOULD HAVE HAD AN EXCUSE FOR WHAT I DID 1"

Well, her son and most of the other guests, had walked down the docks to the gangway to go to their cars.

The word spread, down the docks comes the son, screaming MOTHER, MOTHER ! He runs up to us, and I let her go and turn her around to her son who is now hugging here.

He starts to assist her to walk along the docks, and granny pulls way and says....LET ME GO, I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING..

" Go granny go "

Well, my mate and I, clean up and secure the boat and head up to the
Warehouse dockside bar for a rum.

My mate says to me DENNY , YOU SAVED THAT LADIES LIFE....well, I knew that, but did not say anything, it was part of my skippers responsibilities.

And then the charter company rep comes into the bar, and hands me $ 100 yankee green dollars, from the son. I split it with my mate, and we ordered another round.

Merry Christmas to all .

Point being, a good skipper, who handles the charter professionally, and with respect and friendliness, has a great deal of responsibility that the party going charter folks may not have any idea about.

My opinion on tipping :

If you wish to do, go right ahead, but it should NOT be a percentage of the total price of the Charter.

Lets say, one week in the BVI, skipper only, you will be helping out with moorings, handling the dingy, doing the dishes, etc.

Maybe $ 200.00 and an earnest thank you for the skipper.

For a day or night cruise, $ 50 would be nice, $ 20.00 would be great as well, but we never expected or hinted or commented that to the charter party. And, I would share what ever tip with my mate/crew.

Most times were were not tipped. But, when we did receive a tip, we were very grateful.

Capt Denny
U.S.C.G. Merchant Marine Officer
100 tons / 500 tons, near coastal.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 13:11   #22

I would definitely avoid tipping like that. Not necessary and just will raise prices for everyone. Do you tip the rental car agent? Do you tip the Wal Mart cashier? If you have a captain on board tip him.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 13:17   #23

Angry Re: Tipping Bareboat Charter Company Staff

And lest we forget, charter companies now charge for 7 days even though you only have the sailing use of the boat for five.
Old 03-09-2018, 13:37   #24

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Reading this I am hearing 2 different scenarios. I think a crewed charter would deserve a tip for a job well done. I would and have tipped in this scenario as long as it was earned with the crew being pleasant and doing more than is required to ensure a good time was had.

I have never tipped a charter business for a bareboat charter. I don't know what boat the OP chartered but 20% could be a lot. A $10,000 week on a cat and then I tip them $2,000, that might just price chartering out of my budget.

All in all I think tipping has become way too expected. I do tip wait staff well (normally more than deserved) because it is an important part of the pay system. There is a fundamental flaw to that though in my opinion.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 13:43   #25

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Many of the responses here concern crewed charters. The OP asked about bareboat charters. A whole different discussion, in my opinion. Mixing one with the other just muddies the water.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 20:05   #26
Marine Service Provider

Typical. Americans have screwed up the whole world by, not just tipping, but way over tipping in countries and among people who never expected tips in the first place.

I have a very simple way of dealing with this. If the credit card receipt does not have a tip line on it I don't tip. Tipping can create conflict between the staff and with the management in places where tips were never the tradition. They do not have tip regulations placed the like the IRS has in the US where tips are pooled and divided equally which allows the establishment to avoid minimum wage laws. Yes, that great waitperson you wanted to impress by over tipping didn't get the benefit of your magnanimity, it was divvied up between the wait staff, the maître' d, the bus boys and girls, the cooks and dishwashers.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 00:30   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

Throw the crew a going away party thereby drinking and eating up all the left over booze and tucker. Make your partner do all the cooking and you do the bar keeping so that they get the opportunity to criticize the poor food and warm beer.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21   #28

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

an additional comment or three, to answer later posts.

1. We tip a boats crew, or skipper in CASH....they do not carry a credit card account machines, and it is not like a restaurant. It goes directly to them.

2. As to boat crews, like we have in kauai, when you take a catamarn napali trip...about five hours. When we leave a small tip in cash in hand to the skipper, it is $ 20.00. It is for the entire crew.

If a few others of the 50 people on board leave a small tip of appreciation, for the crew, that does get split up between the crew.

3. As to having a hired skipper due to the fact that the charter party are not skilled sailors, and thus not qualified to take a large catamaran or monohull out on their own......and as the OP did, it was just the captain , it is just fine if you feel like tipping them.

A bare boat with a captain, is the same as a captain on a charter vessel. Only the bare capt for a week or two becomes a friend. Keep your credit card in your pocket, since the charter fee for the boat was paid when they made the reservation and credit card run before they even got on the airplane to fly down there.

4. But, yes there are differences in some of the types of charters.

5. One or two week charter , As to the cash out lay of a tip for the captain, and crew, and most catamarans have a neighborhood of people on board, of 4 to 12. That tip is a mighty small outlay of cash when you split it up.

6. As to what the OP called a bare boat charter, they had to hire a captain, if it was captain and cook/bar tender/ crew person, then the tip should be shared or paid separately.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago, we decided to sail the greek islands. For two weeks on a 60 foot sailing vessel. ( Originally we were going to bare boat a 37 ft range sailing vessel..monohull, just Erica and I. )

But, we cannot read greek, or speak greek, and did not have any local knowledge. This was a flotilla. We paid for a double berth cabin, on the lead flotila vessel, but we wanted to sail and act as crew. Which we did.

Helm watches when we wanted, hauled up and trimmed sails, brought sails down, helped with the anchor and med mooring, etc. We did not want to Okole Sit on our behinds for two weeks, others did . So we helped out when we wanted and kicked back when we wanted.

We had two different captains, one for each week. The wonderful cook/ crew lady remained the same for two weeks. We became friends. The first captain at the end of the Greek Island cruise, we had him join us ashore for a beer, and we gave him $ 100.00 thank you.......the cook/ crew lady we gave $ 100.oo, and the second captain the same.

these people worked extremely hard and were wonderful folks, and took us on eco hikes, ashore for our own prirate party, and took good care of us

There was about 8 total passengers on board.

We pretty much chart our own course in life, and from being in the biz, we will continue to tip when warranted. Our choice.

As to others, agree that tipping is a personal matter, and when it comes to boat skippers and crew , it is done in cash, and in an honestly friendly way, with a thank you. The OP, related to their capt, and one of the office staff in that same way. Kind words, and heartfelt smiles are also very welcome.

Tipping is not required, but when people have been working hard for you, and have performed in a professional , yet happy, and friendly way, with positive attitudes, we are going tip.....others can just get off the boat and walk away. Both ways are correct for the attitude of the individual.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real life...small tip.....not even in cash.....large long term friendship.
It is called Aloha.

These are real instances that I am relating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kauai Island as visitors.

Small , go fast, inflatable raft. We were two of the six or seven passengers.
Great fun, hauling okole along the Napali, Into the sea caves, going ashore at nualolo kai, and having lunch and snorkeling.

At the beginning of the trip as we left Kikiaola small boat harbor, Kipi , the skipper and ( Shawn was crew ) told us that we would be racing along at about 30 mph, and to use the chin strap on any hat, and if a visor or cap turn it around backwards because it will not stay on your head.

AND , IF IT DOES FLY OFF , AND WE COME ABOUT AND RESCUE IT FOR YOU, YOU OWE US A SIX PACK OF BEER.

Of course the six pack was just part of the presentation, not to be taken seriously.

I followed orders, spun my visor around backwards, Erica did not since her pretty pink visor had little knobs that would hold it tight. Yea, right. Big clue, listen to the locals.

Once we get out of kikiaola small boat harbor, Kipi hit the power and off we go. One foot under the bow to stern floor line, and one hand on the line that runs along the inflated hull that we are sitting. Keep you body on the raft. THIS IS FUN !

Erica's visor flies off, Kipi spins us around and Shawn scoops it out of the water before it sank to the bottom of the ocean.

It was a grand 5 hour hoot and photo and snokeling trip, with going into the sea caves, etc.

When we got back to the base, we headed home to the rented condo, but we stopped at a market and purchased a six pack and dropped it off at the tour boat office for Kipi and Shawn. Unconditional gift from the heart.

Well, we stopped for some coldies at a restaurant and bar, at our resort. By the time we get to the condo, there is a note on the door to call KIPI. There is a note from the manager of the condos, sitting by the phone to call Kipi, there is a message on the phone to call Kipi.

We contact him, and he says, over the years, NO ONE HAS EVER DONE WHAT WE DID. His and his family were having a 4th of july party near us and invited us over. The next time we went to kauai, we ran into Kipi again, and were invited to his family home for a bbq...we would call it a luau.

That small kind act of kindness, one six pack, turned into a long term friendship as we wound up moving over to kauai Island for 10 years.

Point being, a seemingly small act of unconditional kindness, that we call Aloha, resulted in a special friendship.

friendship is precious cargo,

And, for us, living Aloha, every where we go, is a special way of living life.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:30   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Once again, thanks for all the great replies. Even though my original question was about a bareboat charter and tipping shore support staff, it was good to hear the responses about crewed charters as well.

I find it frustrating when I don't know what is expected in a given situation, and I don't want to be that guy that gives the impression that I was unhappy with service because I neglected to tip when it is customary. I feel much better prepared for my upcoming bareboat charter.

Regards,
Joe R.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
17 states only require the federal Fair Labor Standards Act rate ($2.13/hour) for tipped employees. Another 26 or so only pay a set rate above that rate, but below the state's minimum wage. These are occupations where tips are expected.

But they also don't make potentially $17.04 before taxes for an 8 hour shift. That is the reality for servers in the first category I mentioned, before their tips. That comes out to $85.20 a week, by the way.
Every state in the USA requires the company to make up the difference if the total doesn't meet or exceed minimum wage. No one is making $85.20 for a full time waitress job. That's a red herring.

Also from my experience, most pocket at least a portion of the tips without paying taxes on it because it's impossible to track.

Many mid to high level restaurant workers are nervous of changing the rules to get the $15/hr base rate because people might stop tipping. 30yrs ago my wife could easily make $200 for an 8hr shift at Red Lobster on a Friday or Saturday. If you are good at it, you can make really nice money waiting tables.

But back to the subject at hand, how much time does the base crew really spend tuning a boat around? Maybe a couple hours for 2 guys...20% on a $4000 charter is $800...that's a $200/hr tip.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter