Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2010, 20:39   #256

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Many moons ago in this thread this statement popped up in a "heated" part of the thread and I just cannot let it pass - it is too indicative of the denial of reality.
>>>> Obviously, this will have a small impact on costs, but not a significant one that will skew the numbers of cost of living (cost of boat repairs and mooring aren't based on couples vs single.).<<<<
For those who have single-handed for years and then taken on a significant other you will see your "boat repairs" cost dramatically escalate. Plumbing problems multiply dramatically as does the usage (wear and tear/repairs needed) on watermakers and gensets for powering hair dryers, etc. It's a whole "nuther" world from single-handing when you take on a "significant other" crew.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 21:45   #257

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Many moons ago in this thread this statement popped up in a "heated" part of the thread and I just cannot let it pass - it is too indicative of the denial of reality.
>>>> Obviously, this will have a small impact on costs, but not a significant one that will skew the numbers of cost of living (cost of boat repairs and mooring aren't based on couples vs single.).<<<<
For those who have single-handed for years and then taken on a significant other you will see your "boat repairs" cost dramatically escalate. Plumbing problems multiply dramatically as does the usage (wear and tear/repairs needed) on watermakers and gensets for powering hair dryers, etc. It's a whole "nuther" world from single-handing when you take on a "significant other" crew.
There is a very simple solution to this problem. DO NOT take on a significant 'other' unless said 'other' can stump up with the additional bucks. Is deaf. Mute. And completely unaware of the meaning or her surroundings...Ergo, the ocean.

Although you have cited the extra costs, in dollar terms, of becoming attached, you failed to mention the other costs....Ergo, the necessary development of selective deafness. The increased need for anger-management strategies. The loss of absolute destination control. All this leading to aggravated bowels, frequent headaches, bleak moods and, worst of all, the time waste while contemplating the outcome of the significant other falling over-board, during which you could have been on your own and simply dreaming of your heart's desire.

I guess the pint here is; if you're you're a loner like me, then suck up the lonely times, throw yourself into some form of adventure.....You know, like, 'Oh well I was going to sail to New Zealand, but bugger it, I might just go to Scot-base instead.' Nothing like a serious challenge to get your mind off the needs of heart and nether regions.:--))

While at sea, on long ocean passages, gee its soooo boring. You having nothing else to do but survive, eat, sleep, read, practice dancing on the foredeck in a 50Knot snorter, repair, scrub, paint, fix, oil, lubricate, wizz up the mast to capture the halyard you just lost. Repair sails, cook, navigate if you're within 500 NM of land, spend hours hunkered down in your favourite spot (mine's right out on the bow-sprit) contemplating the meaning of life while a shark swims by and ruins your plans for a skinny-dip. Then there's fix the watermaker, fix the wind-vane, fix the dunny, find an alternative to the toothpaste you failed to pack....The list goes on amongst sail-changes, and tiller watch on account of the Goddamned self-steering won't play on your current tack.

And after all this you just get your head down and the Radar alarm screeches.

God but life is boring out there! Yeah right. Just finding time to sleep comes as a good find.

And you wanna do all this with some newbie yakking and spewing in the background? Are you mad?

Solo sailing has its down-sides: like YOU have to do everything. But the upside is, you are your own, unquestioned and unquestionable master. I wouldn't trade that for anything, no matter how glum I may feel from time-to-time.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 04:20   #258

Hear, hear, give that man a cup of grog. Especially when underway out in the ocean, you are never alone. You have significant companions everywhere from sea life to glorious sunsets, suggestive cloud formations to the supreme power of the ocean waves surging around your little ark. It is a good life and contains many majestic moments that transform you from an insignificant cog in the machinery of civilization to a master of your own fate.
Old 19-01-2010, 16:25   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
Solo sailing has its down-sides: like YOU have to do everything. But the upside is, you are your own, unquestioned and unquestionable master. I wouldn't trade that for anything, no matter how glum I may feel from time-to-time.

I am ready to leave right now. Thank you for the inspirational words!
Old 28-09-2010, 11:00   #260

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We post our monthly cruising expenses on line at http://www.svthirdday.com/PDF/expenses.pdf

and are definitely on the "cheap go now" approach. The truth is...it will cost you what you have to go cruising, but it will gain your everything money could never buy!S/V THIRD DAY
Thank you for posting your expenses. It was really helpful.

Who do you insure with?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 15:45   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
. . . Who do you insure with?
Maje
If you are USA, I think you will find the best insurance service from the brokers - I.M.I.S. International Marine Insurance Services
- - Basically all brokers sell the same insurances companies but some like I.M.I.S. are really good at matching your needs to the best priced company.
- - If you have an old boat, then the "third party, liability-only" insurance is the most cost-effective choice to get you into marinas and boatyards that require proof of insurance.
Old 28-09-2010, 23:44   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If you are USA, I think you will find the best insurance service from the brokers - I.M.I.S. International Marine Insurance Services
- - Basically all brokers sell the same insurances companies but some like I.M.I.S. are really good at matching your needs to the best priced company.
- - If you have an old boat, then the "third party, liability-only" insurance is the most cost-effective choice to get you into marinas and boatyards that require proof of insurance.
If being USA means that we mean to plan to sail the boat in the USA then we are probably not. Although both of us are US citizens. We will base out of St Thomas during the winter but will sail else where the rest of the year. I know alot of businesses do not like to either loan or insure in VI.

Maje
Old 29-09-2010, 05:25   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
If being USA means that we mean to plan to sail the boat in the USA then we are probably not. Although both of us are US citizens. We will base out of St Thomas during the winter but will sail else where the rest of the year. I know alot of businesses do not like to either loan or insure in VI.
Maje
No, I meant that if you are from the USA and the boat is USCG documented. Besides local cruising, they specialize in cruisers doing offshore sailing and around the world cruising. And they can offer International Medical Insurance coverage.
- - I.M.I.S. is, IMHO, the most used Marine Insurance Agent by all the cruisers I have met in the Caribbean. They offer the unique "Jackline" policy that is set up to cover 2-person crews (husband/wife/significant other) for world-wide cruising. Years ago, you could not get coverage for an ocean passage with only a 2-person crew and I.M.I.S. originated the "Jackline" policy to enable this. Whether other Agents also offer such coverage, I don't know, but it is a *very* important question to resolve before purchasing insurance. You might check the fine print in your policy to see what is required for offshore passages as to crew complement. It would be a rude shock to find out "afterwards" that your insurance does cover your loss because you have only a 2-person crew.
- - And this is really why you get a good "Agent/broker" - one who knows and makes sure that your particular circumstances and boat are properly insured so you can avoid nasty "after the loss" shocks.
Old 29-09-2010, 07:10   #264

Thank you that is good information to know. I'll find their website and bookmark it.

Thanks again,

Maje
Old 29-09-2010, 09:06   #265
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Thanks for sharing the information. I'm working hard to live on $1200/mo setting aside $300/mo for maintenance. Getting real world info, even if it's not for my particular boat or life style is information you can't get - either current or accurate.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:38   #266

Boat: Horizon 39
Budgets, Budgets, Budgets.

I've bounced around this world for a lot of years and the only portion of a budget that has stayed reasonably accurate is the actual "getting there" portion. Everything else is an educated guess.
What would help me most would be input on costs in areas where I may drop the pick. eg.Mexico, Central- South America. Pacific etc etc. What surprises to expect.(I hate surprises)! Then I could decide whether I would even go there.
A very good bit of advice I got from an old digger when I was a young dreamer thinking I had to win the Lottery to get anywhere was "son, if you have lot-spend a lot. If you have a little-spend it all".
Four years later I'd completed an apprenticeship and was on a boat for Europe and never looked back. You learn as you go.
As the pundits keep repeating "just do it"

Cheers
Mike
Old 05-10-2010, 17:39   #267

Boat: Bristol 32
I just bought a 30 year old SC 22. It is my first sail boat and I am 58 yrs old. I want to spend time learning to sail and having fun with it. Perhaps I can own a larger boat someday, but I don't know with the economy the way it is and how hard I was hit. At age 60 I start a pension of around $2,000 per month and at 52 I can draw Social Security. My health care will be covered by the military.

Seriously, what do you think my chances are of living on board, perhaps in the great lakes area for the summers in a 30 footer?

I would like to sail all over the great lakes. My dream is sailing the world, but I don't know if hat will ever happen.
Old 05-10-2010, 19:12   #268

As one person, why not. We have a SC22 down here now in Grenada with one fellow on it and he seems quite happy. He has a windvane on the boat so he does not need large amounts of electric power to run an autopilot. But the South Coast 22 is 22ft LOA not 30ft.
- - Assuming that you as your said live on "for the summers" means you have a home somewhere else for the winter. If it is a trailer sailboat, so much the better as you can avoid long sails from place to place, but you will need someplace to park the truck and trailer. Otherwise you expenses should be very minimal.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:38   #269

isnt that the point though, some of us aint looking for the roses anymore, in fact, some of us just looking for a way out...you know, the daily grind...in june of 2013 (youngest graduates) i am giving it all up to come join you all...i have no money to speak of but i love ramen noodles and fish..
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06   #270
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterchurn View Post
around $2,000 per month and . My health care will be covered by the military.

Seriously, what do you think my chances are of living on board, perhaps in the great lakes area for the summers in a 30 footer?

Fine. You'll have a great time with tin in your pocket to spend. Remember the USA has a huge inland waterway system so you can virtually go anywhere (excapt Las Vegas! LOLOL).

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote