Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 09:48   #16

Boat: William Garden CT 41 Ta Chaio
Re: Teak Deck

Hi Jack...actually, I have restored a Catalina 31 tall and it didn't take that long, however I did have a mild summer to work on it outdoors. This summer is very hot and I have to run a generator to run the portable AC.

The boat really is pretty gutted. By that I mean, everything is taken out, via Florida CG, when it was seized about 23 years ago. Since then it has been sitting in a temperature controlled pole barn and had the deck and other items restored by the previous owner. I purchased it from him because he was getting too old (his words) to continue. I have all of the parts, and I paid @1,000 to get is surveyed in June of last year. What were you thinking? Perhaps buy my boat and restore her yourself and sell yours? As you can see on my profile pictures, she comes with a low boy trailer. Lou
BSV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:50   #17

I was given all of the teak doors, sails, dodger and bimini etc. Just to be clear. She also has cypress masts.
Old 18-07-2012, 10:01   #18

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14

Oh boy, another sailboat project!

By comparison, My CT is getting pretty close to being ready. The hull underwater was sanded down to base gellcoat and then epoxy barrier coated and new bottom paint. New thru hulls and sea-cocks. All new hoses. Bilges cleaned and painted. Old Westerbeke engine removed. engine stringers rebuilt, and low hour used Perkins M30 installed. All packing glands, bearings etc replaced. New(ish) mizzen mast, both masts now aluminum. new rigging throughout.

Still on list,
clean and re-caulk decks
repaint topsides
replace all wiring and instrumentation (partly done)
new head, sink and holding tank.
new water tanks and plumbing.

Sounds like your task list might be a bit longer than mine.

at the risk of losing my sanity, how much do you want for yours?
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 10:29   #19

I paid $40,000 for the boat and trailer, but since i really need the money and my sanity back, I am willing to sell it for $25,000. And...I have a friend to whom I sold my Semi to, owes me a haul. I could have him trailer it to the border and you could pick it up there.

LLabworks@aol.com
Old 18-07-2012, 12:14   #20

I just posted it for sale...
Old 18-07-2012, 22:30   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I know what you mean Lou. My first boat was a Van DaStat 29 I was building in Hamilton, Ontario. Basically 4 1/2 good months to work on it. I'm in California now with lots and lots of Chandleries around me. Much easier here. The boat does look good. I hope you find a better solution...say Florida?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 04:59   #22

So your saying I should move to Florida? Ha Ha...I was thinking more like around Caramelle or St. Joe Bay.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:31   #23

Lou, I have a sailing buddy who may be interested. He is a good wood worker so he could restore it properly. As I said in another post, I think you have the model wrong.
from the ground, look up at the stern rail and see what is imprinted in the bottom of the teak rail. It should be in the form TAC AA BBB YYMM where AA is the model, BBB hull number, YYMM year and month built.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:34   #24

I will look for the model and hull number tomorrow, but remember, a lot of the markings have been removed because it was seized by the coast guard, and before they got it, the (doctors and lawyer) who was drug running, removed her identity. I do have the coast guard documents regarding its sale.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:46   #25

Chances are the wood will come off in chunks. Be a shame to tear that boat apart. Some one should buy that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:48   #26

"Dr. Kevorkian can see you in the morning to discuss your boat project...."

That is the best line
to describe the nuts like us who would take on such a project
Old 27-07-2012, 12:58   #27

it can be overwhelming at times for sure. It all looks easy when just thinking about it! I would get some more complete info for your for sale ad. enigine model, tanks, current level of completion, a bunch of pics etc. What still needs to be done. Sounds like a great deal for someone..... especially on the trailer. A lot easier to finish a boat that's right outside your door! Where is it located?

Old 27-07-2012, 13:04   #28

Cheechako, What are you sailing? looks like one of these!
Old 27-07-2012, 13:17   #29

I've swallowed the hook for a while due to health issues. The boat in the avatar is a Hans Christian 38.

Old 01-08-2012, 21:05   #30

Sorry for the delay... it is located in fort wayne, indiana. much needs to be done. the teak doors, shelves need cleaned and put together, the engine needs inspected, the damaged wood on the interior needs replaced and the electrical needs re-installed. I have almost everything that she needs, but no time, indoor working space and am running out of cash. I can sit on her for a while, but that does the ship no good. She is a good vessel and deserves to be cared for. There are some pictures on the for sale thread. I would even consider selling her minus the trailer. I would consider an offer of $12,000 for just the boat and parts. I will get more info on the for sale thread as you requested.

Tags
deck