Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 18:18   #1

Sketchy Boat ?

I checked out a Hunter a few days ago that I'm looking to buy and as I checked it out noticed a fan blowing inside. Now I could kinda smell a faint mildew smell but wasn't sure.

Anyways is this normal for sailboats to smell a little mildewish?? maybe not mildew but I guess a wet smell?? not sure if that makes sense??

It was a 1991 Hunter Vision 32 footer

other than that damn it was a nice boat...

Also any other brands/boats like this one that would be comparable? Also looking to leave my RV park soon here to make a liveaboard change.

The best part though about looking at the boat was the girl I was with said "looking out at a marina just makes you smile"

and I was like what? and then she said "I mean it's so refreshing and just makes me smile"
motz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
An boat closed up for a time will have a little smell.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico
If there is a major problem with it the survey will identify it, especially if you express that concern. Don't buy without a survey.

If the woman is going to be with you on the boat, then she should approve or not. Sounds like she likes the marina life - that's a good sign!
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by motz View Post
I checked out a Hunter a few days ago that I'm looking to buy and as I checked it out noticed a fan blowing inside. Now I could kinda smell a faint mildew smell but wasn't sure.

Anyways is this normal for sailboats to smell a little mildewish??

Yes, particularly this time of year and it is the least of your concern when choosing a boat to buy. These are generally fine boats and your decision should be made on whether it has been well maintained rather than what it smells like
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote