Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 15:43   #16

Boat: Macgregor 26S
Re: Selloff plans for end of trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Sailboats FSBO Caribbean, vBahamas, Florida, Cent.America, Mexico
I don’t know if I’ve run across any major FSBO web resources in the past couple of years. I’ve been dreaming on sailboatlistings.com and yachtworld.com but for one reason or another assumed those were all being sold through brokerages. Am I incorrect?

Edit - check that. I just saw exactly what you typed there on Facebook. The “other” internet. Hahaha
MacboyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 17:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Okay, I'm going to throw a different curve ball for you. How about buying a boat that is on a trailer and can out sail the monohull fleet? The Ian Farrier designed boats...now built by Corsair hold their value quite well. You can pick up a F31 in the 70-80 K range all day long. Even a mid sized pickup can haul them cross country.

They are modest boats but have small galley, toilet, and bunks. It is all you really need. They are the best sailing boats you can imagine. When done for the season put her on the trailer and park her on the side of the house or in the local RV storage yard. Want to sail Maine in June...do it? Want to sail the Keyes in December...do it? Want to sail the area around Ontario in July...do it...want to sail the San Juan's off of Vancouver...do it? Want to sail the Bahamas, Exumas, etc etc.....Can not do that with a mono hull...unless trailerable....and a lot more consternation due to height of boat and associated trailering issues with weight and height of boat...

Shallow draft of Corsairs, easy set up, and take down are the key features in Ian's boats. They hold their value quite well. Why try to cram in a years sailing and then sell the boat. Be a life long sailor with a boat that you won't get eaten alive in. So many beautiful venues. Canada is prime in the summer. Buy a boat that you can afford to keep for many years and plan your vacations where you can trailer your boat to. Store it and continue the adventure....many many people do this mind set. Just my way of thinking.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 00:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I don't agree that you want to buy a "standard" boat that has not been modified, if only because that means you have to do the modifications yourself and you'll never get that money back. In other words, you'll become that "previous owner" above that is taking a bath on their improvements.
I never suggested not wanting a boat with modifications. For one thing, just about every boat has some modifications. As long as they are typical modifications, no issue...

It's the strange and over the top modification you want to avoid.

- Someone home brewed electric propulsion using the motor out of a washing machine and the control unit from an electric toy train...I don't care how well it works, that will scare people off.
- Someone added dingy davits...that's perfectly fine and can be a real plus...but it's also very common.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 03:53   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to throw a different curve ball for you. How about buying a boat that is on a trailer and can out sail the monohull fleet? The Ian Farrier designed boats...now built by Corsair hold their value quite well. You can pick up a F31 in the 70-80 K range all day long. Even a mid sized pickup can haul them cross country.

They are modest boats but have small galley, toilet, and bunks. It is all you really need. They are the best sailing boats you can imagine. When done for the season put her on the trailer and park her on the side of the house or in the local RV storage yard. Want to sail Maine in June...do it? Want to sail the Keyes in December...do it? Want to sail the area around Ontario in July...do it...want to sail the San Juan's off of Vancouver...do it? Want to sail the Bahamas, Exumas, etc etc.....Can not do that with a mono hull...unless trailerable....and a lot more consternation due to height of boat and associated trailering issues with weight and height of boat...

Shallow draft of Corsairs, easy set up, and take down are the key features in Ian's boats. They hold their value quite well. Why try to cram in a years sailing and then sell the boat. Be a life long sailor with a boat that you won't get eaten alive in. So many beautiful venues. Canada is prime in the summer. Buy a boat that you can afford to keep for many years and plan your vacations where you can trailer your boat to. Store it and continue the adventure....many many people do this mind set. Just my way of thinking.
F-31's are great boats as long as the wind and waves stay really nice

If you get caught in almost any sort of heavier wind and waves though, you would definitely not want to be sailing an F-31 Corsair or any of the other Corsair Trimarans

They are great racing boats though ........just don't get caught in weather
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 06:56   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Thomm m, u just reef them down and slow down when the weather kicks up. If u try and go fast in big seas and wind u r going to break something. You can slip along at 5-7 knots and feel safe. I was caught out at Anacapa Island off of Ventura in 50 knot and 10 foot seas due to Santa Ana winds on a F27. Felt perfectly in control. It was pitchy. But never felt the boat would flip on me. Tried to sail her north to get to backside of Santa Cruz Islamd but couldn't make any headway.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:37   #21

Quote:
Thomm m, u just reef them down and slow down when the weather kicks up. If u try and go fast in big seas and wind u r going to break something. You can slip along at 5-7 knots and feel safe. I was caught out at Anacapa Island off of Ventura in 50 knot and 10 foot seas due to Santa Ana winds on a F27. Felt perfectly in control. It was pitchy. But never felt the boat would flip on me. Tried to sail her north to get to backside of Santa Cruz Islamd but couldn't make any headway.
Okay, but you probably have tons of experience and the OP's experience is with a Macgregor monohull.

That F-31 can probably hit 25 knots.

My experience is on and sailing against the F-25C and F-24 and I wouldn't want to be in any heavy weather with either

At that time, I had never sailed a heavy monohull...............when I say heavy I mean my light weight Bristol 27 which displaces 6600 lbs

It's much safer in weather...........than a super fast F boat

Also I got to see the F boats race at the Nationals several times in Pensacola Bay and Ft Walton

My son and I actually sailed close with Randy Smyth (the old version of Glen Ashby) during the 1997 100 mile RTI Race for maybe 20 miles before he raised his spinnaker.

We were sailing my Nacra 6.0 which was sloop rigged without a spinnaker so he left up when we made the turn at Pensacola Pass for the 50 mile return trip
Old 18-04-2018, 17:14   #22

ps. Smyth was sailing an F-25C during that race.

https://www.sailingworld.com/racing/randy-smyth
Old 18-04-2018, 17:26   #23

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Hhhmm, I'm surprised that no one has addressed the elephant in the room yet.

To be VERY frank.. 1 year is just not enough time, especially with kids. The price of entry (to cruising) is not only high in dollars, but high in emotional stress. To "amortize" that cost over a single year of cruising is just not worth it.

Seriously, the first year of cruising is the hardest. It takes at least 8-9 months to just figure things out and SLOW THE HELL DOWN. It will be around that time you will figure out the whole "home school" and famly dynaics and start really enjoying things. This is especially true if you are cruising with kids. Don't believe me.. Join "Kids for Sail" on Facebook and spend a week or so reading the back posts.

I would encourage you to plan at least 2 years.

Back to your original question. You don't need to take a large loss on your boat if you do things right. We know at least 5 cruising families that sold their cruising boats at or near the purchase cost after 2 years of cruising. Of course they lost all the maintenance and improvement costs. If you purchase a well fit, maintained boat that has already suffered most of its depreciation, then the loss should be low IF you maintain the boat well.

Beneteau, Jeanneau, Fountain Pajot and Lagoon are all solid choices for island cruising. There are lots of them running around and the common problems are pretty well known. Even ex-charter boats can be a gem if you find the right one.

Anyway.. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for. If you find a boat down here and want someone to look at it and send pics, don't hesitate to ask, if we are near it, then its no problem.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote