Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2010, 21:59   #76

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I have to two 5 acre undeveloped parcels in Alamosa, CO. for sale, that might be perfect for your trailer and boat.
Tell ya what, you buy my house and I'll think about it!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 22:48   #77
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming View Post
So I don't fix it when it breaks if it's something we decide we don't need? Do we just leave a piece of broken equipment where it was installed?
Our speed transducer is stuffed.
Got us half way accross the Pacific, then Nic's dad did some forensic soldering on it but its gone again, permanetly.
They are 'normal' price in the USA and Caribbean but 2 -3 times the price in other places. (Even a second hand one here costs more than a new one in the USA!) So do we need a speed transducer? Nup. Speed is on the GPS's So it stays unfixed till we get a new one at the right price

It means we can't do auto pilot steering by the wind, thats the only drawback

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 07:28   #78

Boat: a sailing boat
Oh, why does it always boil down to either / or discussions?

I truly believe keeping a small house/apartment and the boat is the neatest way to go. Otherwise you go cruising, you collect the mathoms for a year or so and where do you store them?

If you do not need the storage, you can rent the house out and use the funds towards your retirement fund/cruising kitty/whatever.

In a life or death - sell or not sail scenario and someone really addicted to sail, I would say sell and sail, but there are very few such cases.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 10:18   #79

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran
We are taking the plunge

Thanks for the information. We didn't know if what we are doing was altogether a good idea! We have a rental house and we are working to fix that so it will not need major repair for the next 5 years. Bought and paid for so will supplement our cruising. Now, a kitchen remodel and will sell this house for the boat. We learned at the Miami Boat Show - smaller is better - so we are looking at a Gemini 105 - now the question - is newer better? I read that everyone is in agreement to save some of the money from the house so that is great advice and should still beable to get a boat with what we want on it and put some dollars in the bank. If anyone wants to buy a house in Montana, 50 miles from Yellowstone Park (beautiful), we have the house for you!
We are planning on selling the house end of summer/early fall. Mark, my husband, has the opportunity for schooling and will most likely be Chapmans in FL for his 6 pack. This is really starting to become real & scary and exciting all at once. We are preparing to sell everything! Wish us luck and if you have advice..........................would love to hear it!
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:38   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just not true with home values in the US. The leading authority on the subject is Robert Shiller of the S&P/Case-Shiller indexes. His analysis over the past 100 years shows ...."From 1948 to 2007, annual home appreciation rate is 4.87%". And if you look at the entire period its worse ...its like .4% for 1890-2004. Take a look at the graph under the background information ...United States housing bubble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attachment 17208
I am absolutely amazed at these figures because I have been involved in a number of estate probates, and I once did a analysis that showed a 4.3% increase from those homes/condos bought in the mid-70's to 2005.

Guess it is not an aberration. Oh, BTW, I just bought some AA corporate bonds that return 5.4%.

People usually remember the bubbles in real estate (which we are going through where I live right now), but forget the downturns, which are just as real, even if the "flippers" disagree.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:41   #81

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
boat repair costs cruising...

NJD..

Our boat is a '98 model, so I did a pretty thourough refit when I bought it. Both engines were brand new so mechanically it was good, but all the windows were toast because in '98 when the industry went to polycarbonates, they didn't know the adhesive they previously used for acrylic was too aggressive and eventually ruined the polycarb. We cut, milled and replaced all 14 windows on my catamaran. The boat already had a good SSB radio and color radar that has worked flawlessly.

I replaced the bimini and stack pack, and most of the running rigging, bought a new Mason anchor, replaced the chain, mounted an electric windlass, watermaker, a friend that helped me with the windows and I installed 16K btu of heat and air along with a 2KW inverter/charger. The sails were good but I had a light wind headsail made to complete my sail selection.

I said that to say this... a lot of my systems were new and I really didn't have many problems for the 5 months we were out.... other than dirty fuel tank issues (ethanol) due to non-use prior to my purchase. Once I got the tanks clean (the first week) we really didn't have many issues. If I would have been out for 2 years or more I may be singing a different tune, but 6 months on fresh gear was a breeze.

The only equipment I had trouble with I abandoned, it was the watermaker, there was a factory defect that showed up 3 months in. I rebuilt it and it still didn't work, so I just bought water.... Now that I'm home I'll send it to Katadyne so they can play with it a while like I did, they may have better luck.

If anyone is interested to see what I installed or changed on the refit, we blogged the trip at WWW.SittonOnTheBeach.com look at December and January.

When people talk about spending lots of money on repairs cruising I wonder if they are considering hireing everything done. First off, in real life it's hard to find anyone to do anything on an island.. lol. much less knowing how to do it right. If you have to hire everything fixed.. I'll make it simple.. don't go.

I can understand someone saying it's expensive even if you do it yourself too because parts prices are high. Certain parts you fly in from the US are subject to an almost 40% import duty in the Bahamas. A buddy in Georgetown priced a Honda 3000 generator locally and found it cheaper to fly it in from the US even after paying the hefty import tax.

In short, we didn't find it expensive to repair stuff "out there" primarily because we didn't have to, much of it was new. Before I go back out I'll replace a few things like the autopilot and masthead wind instrument. I replaced both with used parts my buddy gave me, but they will be new when I leave next time. I think the trick may be to leave with good fresh gear. A NEW boat isn't always best either... You gotta get the bugs out of a new boat, and I didn't see any big Hunter or Island Packet dealerships where I went..lol

I have a lot of systems that purists may scoff at.. but I like comfort and can fix it if it breaks, or do without it if I need to. I have an ice maker that was supernice in the Exumas. I have met people that say to be a "real sailor" stay simple.. it's about the purity of the wind without modern gadgets that can break....... To which I reply: If your a "real sailor" take that motor out of your boat and go be Columbus.... I'll motor away, fire up my generator.. turn on the AC and make ICE when I want to thank you. Yeah.. I hate the noise too, but I put a neat little gadget on everything I installed...... it's called an "off switch"..... and I'm not afraid to use it.... lol.

The curisers that were having the most fun had small houses back home they rented out and left their stuff locked up in one bedroom.. they had 1. roots for the little woman, 2. a place to keep their stuff for free and 3. A self healing cruise kitty.

OH, and when my wife said it was much cheaper to cruise than to be on land.... I totally agree. Out cruising there is no FedEx to deliver the $4K a month worth of crap we tended to buy every month that we didn't buy while we were cruising... lol. So saying it was "cheaper" you need to know the baseline... lol.

Have you heard the old joke about the gal that had her credit card stolen and the husband wouldn't report it... because the theif was spending less than she did a month... lol. "cheap" is a relative term...

SYL!!
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 13:13   #82

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
This is really starting to become real & scary and exciting all at once. We are preparing to sell everything! Wish us luck and if you have advice..........................would love to hear it!
Yes, it’s a bit like marriage really, scary and exciting. But just like marriage, you get used to it, and it’s not the end of the world anyway. You need to now get the boat, asap, because that will give you your goal posts. If you don’t get the boat, you will be a bit in limbo. Taking big steps in life is always scary. Take me for instance, I can’t find the boat I want, so I’ve just sunk all my pile into BP stock—now that’s scary!!
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 15:39   #83

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I can’t find the boat I want, so I’ve just sunk all my pile into BP stock—now that’s scary!!
Roger,
I'd call that an intellegent punt. The new cap is working, so direct costs should be manageable now. The other costs... damages etc are a bit of an unknown, but there will be smart lawyers cutting a deal, or more likely delaying things for years, while the global outlook for resources is massive price escalation... except for wind

You could end up with a very classy boat!
You looking for crew?

Vic
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 16:12   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Yawl Later View Post
NJD..

I have a lot of systems that purists may scoff at.. but I like comfort and can fix it if it breaks, or do without it if I need to. I have an ice maker that was supernice in the Exumas. I have met people that say to be a "real sailor" stay simple.. it's about the purity of the wind without modern gadgets that can break....... To which I reply: If your a "real sailor" take that motor out of your boat and go be Columbus.... I'll motor away, fire up my generator.. turn on the AC and make ICE when I want to thank you. Yeah.. I hate the noise too, but I put a neat little gadget on everything I installed...... it's called an "off switch"..... and I'm not afraid to use it.... lol.

SYL!!
Good post.
To keep the minimalists happy I've only selected the one paragraph above to avoid using up www needlessly.

It's refreshing to read the experience of someone who is cruising the way most of us (ok, it's an assumption based on a comprehensive analysis of... me ) plan to do it, or would like to.

I have a sneaky suspicion that apart from the Pardeys, most minimalist cruisers are in that camp not out of choice, but because of a lack of options... which is fine. At least they're cruising.
But I could do without the missionary zeal... you don't have to flog your way into heaven with a raw back, guys, if you have amanged a bit of 'grace'...
Old 16-07-2010, 16:16   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
amanged a bit of 'grace'...
...managed, even...
See? this is a democracy... you don't have to be smart to have an opinion...
Old 18-07-2010, 12:39   #86

Boat: Hinckley B 40 Wolverine
Gone and done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
Thanks for the information. We didn't know if what we are doing was altogether a good idea! We have a rental house and we are working to fix that so it will not need major repair for the next 5 years. Bought and paid for so will supplement our cruising. Now, a kitchen remodel and will sell this house for the boat. We learned at the Miami Boat Show - smaller is better - so we are looking at a Gemini 105 - now the question - is newer better? I read that everyone is in agreement to save some of the money from the house so that is great advice and should still beable to get a boat with what we want on it and put some dollars in the bank. If anyone wants to buy a house in Montana, 50 miles from Yellowstone Park (beautiful), we have the house for you!
We are planning on selling the house end of summer/early fall. Mark, my husband, has the opportunity for schooling and will most likely be Chapmans in FL for his 6 pack. This is really starting to become real & scary and exciting all at once. We are preparing to sell everything! Wish us luck and if you have advice..........................would love to hear it!
After making the decision and working several months on the plan and finding the right boat, my wife and I just bought our boat last week. Yes a lot of reality/stress/excitement for us as well. As soon as we bought the boat we started staying on it instead of paying for a hotel room. This was the best thing we could have done. It immediately gave us some perspective on the live aboard conditions like space, function and comfort. It also gave us the chance to inspect and get familiar with the systems on the boat.

This is our first boat and we have sold just about everything we own to buy it. We are keeping one property as a rental. It is at least above water. Perhaps this is a just in case decision or maybe just prudent. Next comes the expense planning where we figure out what the priority list is and the cost of each necessary upgrade. No small matter. If we had a lot of money we would probably make some unnecessary purchases. Since we have to budget we are more careful about what we need verses what we want. But it is all fun and since returning home from the boat we find it actually more stressful. We can't wait to get back aboard.

It is funny how attached we were to our things in the past. But we were simply custodians of our things and they dictated to us our decisions. How big of a house we live in, what storage do we need, how big a lawn tractor do we need, etc. And the cost of maintaining all those things is tremendous.

At the risk of being repetitive: You are doing the right thing. Good Luck.
Gaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 14:26   #87

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Well done Gaylords! It sounds like you are on the right track and learning as much as you can about your new toy, ups! I mean home.
As regards your real estate—what can be said? I guess you just have to hang in there like everyone else. We have been unable to sell our properties, even at prices which just give us our money back—and we run a real estate agency! What chance has anyone to find a buyer at a “normal” price, what with all the foreclosures and short sales flooding the market faster than they are selling?
The only thing is to rent them, and luckily, due to the self-same foreclosures and short sales there are more renters out there than normal. Just be very, very selective; check references and credit, and make sure the lease specifies exactly who pays for what in the event of breakdowns and maintenance.
Then sail the hell away from it all…..
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 13:20   #88

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
We did it! We sold our home!

We sold our home and we close on Aug 23. We are buying a smaller house that could be used as a rental later. So it looks like we will be able to cruise for a while.

Sea Yawl Later!

Linda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 14:44   #89
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
congratulations!! not having ever owned a home, i cant sympathize with having a foot on land, but is important to some--is good to keep within ability to control. man i cruise with has a foot on land-- rents from sister---works for him-
am glad you were able to sell !! excellent!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 18:17   #90

Boat: boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Yawl Later View Post
NJD..

Our boat is a '98 model, so I did a pretty thourough refit when I bought it. Both engines were brand new so mechanically it was good, but all the windows were toast because in '98 when the industry went to polycarbonates, they didn't know the adhesive they previously used for acrylic was too aggressive and eventually ruined the polycarb. We cut, milled and replaced all 14 windows on my catamaran. The boat already had a good SSB radio and color radar that has worked flawlessly.

I replaced the bimini and stack pack, and most of the running rigging, bought a new Mason anchor, replaced the chain, mounted an electric windlass, watermaker, a friend that helped me with the windows and I installed 16K btu of heat and air along with a 2KW inverter/charger. The sails were good but I had a light wind headsail made to complete my sail selection.

I said that to say this... a lot of my systems were new and I really didn't have many problems for the 5 months we were out.... other than dirty fuel tank issues (ethanol) due to non-use prior to my purchase. Once I got the tanks clean (the first week) we really didn't have many issues. If I would have been out for 2 years or more I may be singing a different tune, but 6 months on fresh gear was a breeze.

The only equipment I had trouble with I abandoned, it was the watermaker, there was a factory defect that showed up 3 months in. I rebuilt it and it still didn't work, so I just bought water.... Now that I'm home I'll send it to Katadyne so they can play with it a while like I did, they may have better luck.

If anyone is interested to see what I installed or changed on the refit, we blogged the trip at WWW.SittonOnTheBeach.com look at December and January.

When people talk about spending lots of money on repairs cruising I wonder if they are considering hireing everything done. First off, in real life it's hard to find anyone to do anything on an island.. lol. much less knowing how to do it right. If you have to hire everything fixed.. I'll make it simple.. don't go.

I can understand someone saying it's expensive even if you do it yourself too because parts prices are high. Certain parts you fly in from the US are subject to an almost 40% import duty in the Bahamas. A buddy in Georgetown priced a Honda 3000 generator locally and found it cheaper to fly it in from the US even after paying the hefty import tax.

In short, we didn't find it expensive to repair stuff "out there" primarily because we didn't have to, much of it was new. Before I go back out I'll replace a few things like the autopilot and masthead wind instrument. I replaced both with used parts my buddy gave me, but they will be new when I leave next time. I think the trick may be to leave with good fresh gear. A NEW boat isn't always best either... You gotta get the bugs out of a new boat, and I didn't see any big Hunter or Island Packet dealerships where I went..lol

The curisers that were having the most fun had small houses back home they rented out and left their stuff locked up in one bedroom.. they had 1. roots for the little woman, 2. a place to keep their stuff for free and 3. A self healing cruise kitty.

OH, and when my wife said it was much cheaper to cruise than to be on land.... I totally agree. Out cruising there is no FedEx to deliver the $4K a month worth of crap we tended to buy every month that we didn't buy while we were cruising... lol. So saying it was "cheaper" you need to know the baseline... lol.

Have you heard the old joke about the gal that had her credit card stolen and the husband wouldn't report it... because the theif was spending less than she did a month... lol. "cheap" is a relative term...

SYL!!

SYL!!!!
Well thanks so much for this detailed reply. I really appreciate your view and the time you took to respond.

I'm not a purist either. Though I'm not a gadget girl. If the boat comes with it, we'll use it (if it's worth using) then decide if it is value added when comes time to replace. Is there anything on a boat that does not need replacing??
NotJustDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote