Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 10:16   #31

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I am lucky, in a way, that my house was foreclosed on (wrongfully).
After the ebay & CL & yard sales we just picked up what was necessary or valuable and left the rest of the crap behind.
I posted a free stuff ad on CL and the people coming by to get free stuff bought as much as the yard sale people once they were there looking.
I did give away a pretty nice refrigerator that was 1/2 full of food to a poor family. That was cool.
My prices got really low towards the end, another $5.00 didn't matter anyway.
I feel really good about not having a bunch of junk.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 15:08   #32

Why not just leave everything with the house? When I bought my house I liked some of the stuff the guy left behind. I'm gonna do the same thing. Heck, it will be a true "turn-key" house with a made bed and everything.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 15:17   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I'd go through everything, throw out anything more than a certain age (up to you, maybe 5 years or so), then go through what is left a second time... decide if you'll ever need to produce a copy, if not toss it... if so, decide if you can get it from the source when needed? doctor, schools, lawyers etc... can all get them their selves as needed.

for the stuff you really need to keep (hopefully this won't be much!), have it all scanned and stored on flash drives and/or DVD's. You can do that at any kinko's

I'd say a self-storage facility is not the safest place to store important stuff anyway. If you really must store documents and photos or whatever else, hopefully you can find a family member to keep it in their attic or something like that.
Be a little careful with this one. Remember doctors, lawyers, etc. don't stay in business forever, so you may go back to get something and find they've closed shop and gone cruising themselves.
Old 16-01-2011, 16:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfborealis View Post
Why not just leave everything with the house? When I bought my house I liked some of the stuff the guy left behind. I'm gonna do the same thing. Heck, it will be a true "turn-key" house with a made bed and everything.

I'm planning on , at least trying to sell the major appliances and furniture with the house.

Doubt they want clothes, weight machine, etc...but you never know.

I think I figured out what I'm going to do (e-bay has been a bust).

After facebook marketing my stuff to people I know cheap. I'm going to have an "estate sale" and open house on the same weekend. Kill two birds with one stone.
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 16:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlostonpurpose View Post
I don't know where you are in Georgia, but I've had people drive 1.5 hours out from Atlanta just to look at stuff I've put on craigslist. I live at Lake Oconee. When I took off cruising a few years back, it took several months to get rid of everything. I remember taking truckloads to the goodwill store in Charleston. We had two houses full of stuff. By the time we left, I could put my entire life in 1.5 cars!
Funny, I live almost exactly 1.5 hours northwest of Atlanta. Before I moved homes a few years back, I did have some folks come and by a sectional sofa from Atlanta. Couldn't believe they drove that far for a used, cheap sofa, but to each his own.

I'm not having a lot of luck with Craigslist. Something has changed, and all my ads keep getting bumped or blocked or something. I finally had it, and stopped posting there. I'd like to use it because it was so darn effective, but I don't like spending all the time posting an ad that won't show up. I tried to find help with that, but CL doesn't really have a tech support option that is helpful.
Old 16-01-2011, 18:04   #36

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Aw, just chuck that stuff. Or as advised above, hold a yard sale and give the rest away. As we were raising kids, we actually did this twice, both times to move overseas.

In both cases, we put just a bit of stuff in storage. When we came back a couple of years later, we laughed at how useless and outdated even that little bit of stuff was.

The more recent time, we really got rid of stuff, saving only few family heirlooms, photos, etc. So we moved back to the U.S. later and had only a small storage container worth of things to move into a 3000 square foot house.

Within two years, the closets and the attic of that house were full to overflowing with "STUFF". Chuck it! You won't miss it. And it will plague you again as soon as you come back ashore.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 18:14   #37

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Southern Hiker - I had that problem with Craigslist, but it disappeared when I opened an account instead of posting my email address every time. If you don't do this already maybe worth a try.
Old 16-01-2011, 18:30   #38
cruiser

craiglist is frequented by folks who have nothing better to do... lots of personal ads posters cruise the site and block ads for whatever reason...

the concept was cool in that it was 'community moderated', but the folks forget that the reason to flag ads were supposed to be only for infractions of the terms of use, oh, sorry, terms of service...... the help forum there is just some young punks who think they know it all, and they know squat...

'cept to say what, didnt you read the terms of service and or correct you when you tell them it dont matter if it is tou or tos...

so, yup, i agree. let the community and society figure it out, an dmaybe it willbecoem irrelevenet or maybe it will improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
Funny, I live almost exactly 1.5 hours northwest of Atlanta. Before I moved homes a few years back, I did have some folks come and by a sectional sofa from Atlanta. Couldn't believe they drove that far for a used, cheap sofa, but to each his own.

I'm not having a lot of luck with Craigslist. Something has changed, and all my ads keep getting bumped or blocked or something. I finally had it, and stopped posting there. I'd like to use it because it was so darn effective, but I don't like spending all the time posting an ad that won't show up. I tried to find help with that, but CL doesn't really have a tech support option that is helpful.
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 16:41   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
Southern Hiker - I had that problem with Craigslist, but it disappeared when I opened an account instead of posting my email address every time. If you don't do this already maybe worth a try.

I do in fact have an account. That seemed to make no difference.

No problems though, my stuff is diminishing slowly with E-bay, facebook friends, and I even created a personal website where I just put pictures of my stuff and say make me an offer (figure it can't hurt).
Old 18-01-2011, 02:20   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
In Georgia, US we call them Flea Markets. .... or you can buy ..... a chicken, a goat, and a shotgun.
Only in America.........
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote