Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 13:29   #1

Selecting a Boat

Hi Folks ,

I am new here and I have been looking through advertisements and finally came to rest with one of these two sister ship. I am nervous I am overlooking something important and would like to have some advices on weather other owners would consider these a good value . . I am going to sail with a school out of Virginia beach that will give instructions in your own vessel Im hoping that my choice here in boats is not more than a 2 people can handle . I am a nervous about the purchase but she looks beautiful to me . I was concerned about the tiller verses the wheel and no pilot house both features i thought necessary . I'm 54 and I want something adventures to remember time to get going . Its my last call ......
Below are links Ive narrowed it down to.

1978 True North 34 Bluewater Cruiser cf Tayana Shannon Pacific Seacraft Stan Huntingford Design sailboat for sale in Florida
Harbour Yacht Sales Ltd.

Thanks Bob
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 14:47   #2

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Selecting a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
Hi Folks ,

I am new here and I have been looking through advertisements and finally came to rest with one of these two sister ship. I am nervous I am overlooking something important and would like to have some advices on weather other owners would consider these a good value . . I am going to sail with a school out of Virginia beach that will give instructions in your own vessel Im hoping that my choice here in boats is not more than a 2 people can handle . I am a nervous about the purchase but she looks beautiful to me . I was concerned about the tiller verses the wheel and no pilot house both features i thought necessary . I'm 54 and I want something adventures to remember time to get going . Its my last call ......
Below are links Ive narrowed it down to.

1978 True North 34 Bluewater Cruiser cf Tayana Shannon Pacific Seacraft Stan Huntingford Design sailboat for sale in Florida
Harbour Yacht Sales Ltd.

Thanks Bob
Hi Bob. Welcome to the forum.
I can't help you with these boats because I'm on the other side of the planet they're not part of our local scene, but I'm sure you'll get some opinions here.
Or you could go to the yacht club and you're bound to get some input there too... and even a few chances to sail.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 14:52   #3

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

Why would you worry about tiller v pedestal steering? They both have pros and cons. Both can be set up for auto steering if you need it. As for the pilot house, you really don't need that either. Most sailboats can be set up with a bimini top to cover the cockpit while under sail, almost a requirement down here in the hot and sunny south Louisiana. LOL I say, dive in and enjoy the best you can. Once you start seeing the pros and cons, work with it so it is more pro than con! Get all the experience you need and you can always sell the boat to move to something more your style.

Cheers!
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 15:58   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Nice looking boat. I won't worry about either. For me a tiller is a big plus (my 35 footer has a tiller). As someone else said both wheel and tiller have advantages. You see more tillers on European boats than American, not sure why.

The PH would be nice if you are going to be in higher latitudes for any time; otherwise, the bimini/dodger setup should be all you need.
Old 30-06-2011, 16:08   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I'm guessing you have little sailing experience and have probably never sailed either of these or anything similar. They are beautiful boat but be careful falling in love with the look ... I did that with our first which was of a similar design (Baba 30). Whereas the Baba had a 4'9" draft and a cut away forefoot, these have a 6' draft and very full keel. They are not going to maneuver well in close quarters or like thin water. So, think about where you plan to sail and whether you will be getting in and out of marinas a lot.

Oh, and all that teak ... beautiful, but high maintenance. Been there, done that and don't want to again.
Old 30-06-2011, 16:21   #6

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Beautiful boats... however I would agree with another of the posters 6' is a deep draft for that vessel.. as a new sailor you may very well be spending some time bumping into the bottom..

I wouldn't go deeper than 4 1/2 feet for what you are likely going to be doing.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 16:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Hi Bob, Im new to this like you and am looking around right now! Dont rush, take your time, have a think about what you want to use the boat for,how often will you sail? where you intend to sail and what boat would suit you best under those conditions? Old..or newer? Good luck, Pablo.
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 18:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Did a quick look at the listings. One asking $49K the other over $115K? I would say forget the second. Did not see anything in the listing to justify that difference. If you really, really wanted the wheel you could add that for way less than the difference.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 00:49   #9
CFR

Nice one, if i see all the recent upgrades it should be a good buy and will be seaworthy. But you should love to work with wood and varnish to keep the nice looking.... Visit the boat , sit in the cockpit and cabin and if you love it go ahead. The most important is that you love the boat and the look , it will make working and spending money for it so much easier
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17   #10

I agree I couldn't see the justification
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19   #11

I agree I couldnt see the justification for the price difference
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38   #12

Points taken on the woodwork what a shame, but I want to start sailing not varnish and polish the rest of my life away. My home area will be the Elizabeth river and Chesapeake bay area . I was looking for shallow draft or a bilge keel . The ideal boat for me is one that could dry out then I could dock at my brothers place on a lift its 4ft to mud . Its just that I worry about the stability of the boat. Is it so hard to find marinas that can handle a 6 ft draft, or just that its a complicated thing to keep up with shoals, hazards , and area tides? I know their is allot to think about and I dont want all these details to prevent me from even going forward. I think I am going to go cheaper and smaller before I look for that one boat . I was thinking of living aboard but marinas that allow it are hard to find nevertheless the draft issue which I haven't researched yet. It just seemed there were so many nice boats with deep drafts that I thought perhaps I was making to much of the draft issue although I realize the importance.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44   #13

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

IMHO this boat, while beautiful, is a bluewater offshore design. If you are sailing in the Chesapeake, better to get a Catalina or Hunter with shoal draft. And they will be easier to sell if/when you decide to move up to a larger boat.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 13:26   #14

thank you
Old 01-07-2011, 13:27   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha,
The boat you linked to is an open ocean boat. Ready to sail across the Atlantic or Pacific except I don't see windvane steering. If your cruising grounds are along the coast in thinner waters and flukey winds that might be under 10kt this would not be the perfect fit for you.
There are many boats on the market now at bargain prices and I'd keep looking.
Double enders are beautiful but you loose a lot of storage where the stern gets skinny.
Good luck in your search and please post photos of your next "true love."
kind regards,