Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 09:27   #16

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: Sailing on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcc13 View Post
Hey,

I'm a new sailor. I took ASA 101 course this year and have gone out a couple of times. I would like to sail more but my biggest problem is the cost. I'm hesitant to buy a boat since I may have a newborn in a couple of years and I know that will make it much harder to go out. Also the slip fees add up fast. Renting a sailboat can be exorbitant at $235 for 4 hours for a beatup Catalina 22 that is older than me.

Does anyone know a good way to get more time on the water on the cheap? Is there something I am missing?
learn to drive a trailer, if you don't know how to, and buy a trailer sailer. you can find anything from open centerboard daysailers to small shoal draft cruisers. park it in your driveway. no slip fees.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 09:31   #17

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
I'll look around for a local sailing club. I was also thinking of a Sunfish since I could store it in my garage.
well, if a dinghy is in the search range, go on craigslist. you often see older sailing dinghies, of various types, for sail fairly cheaply.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 13:18   #18

Boat: Niagara 35

People have given you some great advice on cheap ways to sail, so I'll just talk about your assumption about the newborn.

Babies are easy on boats! We did a 10 day trip into remote PNW wilderness with out 2.5 month old and it was super easy. What other way can you get out in the wilderness with your baby and still have a nice comfortable safe place for them if the weather turns or it's naptime?

Here's a quick article about kids on boats to give you some inspiration for your future.
Old 29-05-2016, 13:59   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My opinion (and it is just an opinion) is that you learn to sail on a small boat. You learn about systems, planning, crew work personalities, and spending money on a big boat. But you learn about the wind and water in a dinghy or beach cat. If they are good enough for the Olympics, they should be good enough for every starting sailor.

Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat

Anyone can a ford a dinghy. This is probably NOT the time to be taking on expenses. Keep it in the side yard, sail it for 2-4 years, and then you will know how to sail.
Old 30-05-2016, 06:18   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

I didn't see where you told us your location. That notwithstanding, check around to your local yacht and sailing clubs. Most, if not all, are looking for members and some have devised creative ways to get new members into their clubs. My club, for example, offers "fractional use" of club-owned Colgate 26's. It's a great program that has allowed many people that want to be sailors, but don't have the funds and/or time, the opportunity to have use of a boat when they want to go sailing.

However, just being in or around a club will offer many opportunities to sail, mostly as racing crew on Wednesday nights.

So consider and explore that avenue.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:32   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Hey,

I'm a new sailor. I took ASA 101 course this year and have gone out a couple of times. I would like to sail more but my biggest problem is the cost. I'm hesitant to buy a boat since I may have a newborn in a couple of years and I know that will make it much harder to go out. Also the slip fees add up fast. Renting a sailboat can be exorbitant at $235 for 4 hours for a beatup Catalina 22 that is older than me.

Does anyone know a good way to get more time on the water on the cheap? Is there something I am missing?
You thoughts are very prudent. 30 some odd years ago, I was in the same boat, so to speak. All I could do is dream about sailing. I found dinghy sailing to be a good, cheap outlet, that I could take my wife on and introduce her to the fun of it. I'm not a big fan of babies onboard. 5 years and up is a good time to introduce children to sailing. When they begin to comprehend things. Trust me...that time will be there before you know it.
Enjoy them when they're young. It goes away so quickly.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 18:13   #22

Boat: Scout 30

SCAMP Sailboat - Small Craft Advisor
https://www.facebook.com/SmallCraftA...agazineProject
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 16:48   #23

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am going to pursue the dinghy option. I don't have room for a trailer so I need to store it in my garage. It would be affordable since they aren't very much and storage in my garage is free. My area has tons of lakes an hours drive away so I also want something fast to setup.
markcc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:06   #24

Sounds like a great plan. Keep is posted

Chris - SailMentor.com
Old 25-06-2016, 22:00   #25

Boat: Between S'pars

Have you checked out Lasers? They're a bit heavy at around 120-160lbs (and 12' I think?) but will fit on a bigger car or pickup/truck or a little trailer. They're really fast and fun for sailing. And more than one person can go.

Also, if you like the "sailing" part and it's only you (I don't recall from the thread if you're the only one at this point or the only one wants to go sailing) WINDSURFING is an incredible thing- has all the best of sailing but super compact and serene -just you; board and sail (your body is the counterbalance) and the wind. Really fun.

And it's much cheaper, VERY compact (compared to any boat; fits on any roof rack) and stores any garage. Might need a wetsuit but...

Old 01-07-2016, 18:55   #26
vjm

I just bought a 25' keelboat in good shape with an inboard diesel for $1500. The slip is $350 a month. I cut out some luxuries (lunches out multiple times per week, etc.) and that pays for it. No way would I go sail after work if I had to trailer and set up. Take a look at where you could keep a boat on the water. The price may not be too bad. You can always sell it if/when you aren't using it anymore.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 13:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
I just bought a 25' keelboat in good shape with an inboard diesel for $1500. The slip is $350 a month. I cut out some luxuries (lunches out multiple times per week, etc.) and that pays for it. No way would I go sail after work if I had to trailer and set up. Take a look at where you could keep a boat on the water. The price may not be too bad. You can always sell it if/when you aren't using it anymore.
Nicely done! That is the way to do it. You can get an amazing amount of sailing done for not much money.
Old 07-07-2016, 14:41   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

markcc13,

If you want to keep enjoying sailing all through your life, be sure and get your good lady interested and involved from the beginning.

Ann

Tags
budget, sail, sailing