Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 20:46   #91
cruiser

Having worked only a month a year at skilled labourers wages since my mid twenties and been living aboard and cruising the rest of the time , I'm anything but rich
I couldn't afford to live so cheaply ashore. Living on land is for rich people . Cruising is either for rich people or for poor people who are resourceful and don't buy the "Be reasonable and do it the hard and expensive way" philosophy that elitists try to discourage the not so rich with.
I've owned my own home debt free, since my early twenties, and never had a bank loan in my life, something that is almost impossible ashore ,unless you have rich parents.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:47   #92

Boat: Swan 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What if they find out that living "together" ain't so good?
...half of all married couples pay for really nice pictures, just to rip them up a few years later. Living on a boat with your girl just lets you know which half you're in faster.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:50   #93

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Having worked only a month a year at skilled labourers wages since my mid twenties and been living aboard and cruising the rest of the ime . I'm anything but rich
I couldn't afford to live so cheaply ashore. Living on land is for rich people . Cruising is either fort rich people or poor people who are resourceful and don't buy the "Be reasonable and do it the hard and expensive way" philosophy that elitists try to dicourage the not so rich with.
thanks - that's an illuminating, on topic response and doesn't involve my credit score
Old 20-07-2010, 20:56   #94
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Oh great. Is that why you're named Therapy?

jallum - seems to me all these things he discusses have nothing to do with sailing or planning or desires, and everything to do with "desperation". Sure, we all dream of going on our journeys, but some of us are also wise enough to know how to be flexible and roll with it and keep our heads about the task.

Also, is it just another sign of the common social stratification these days to just have something else take away from the responsibilities of the problems we got ourselves into? Can't endorse it in others. Can't endorse it in myself either. There's always a way around it.
Old 20-07-2010, 21:00   #95

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The blue bus is waiting for us...

Blue bus? Huh?
Old 20-07-2010, 21:03   #96
cruiser

see if there is anyone to model after, it's Brent..and I'd give a gallon of my education and bankable skills to think resourcefully as well as he has.
Old 20-07-2010, 21:06   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Blue bus? Huh?
Its a cut at the establishment...such as Bash, who probably has tenure, makes $1 a word on his 3000 word articles, and forgot those times when the ownership of the media and reaction by the people was worth fighting for.
Old 20-07-2010, 21:41   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
thanks - that's an illuminating, on topic response and doesn't involve my credit score
Notice, he said he owns his home "debt free." - I could care less what my credit score is, I doubt he does either. There's a reason for that... and at least for Mr. Swain and myself, it ain't rich parents. (Mr. Swain, you have my utmost respect, sir.)

Quit rationalizing escapism and bust your ass for a tiny bit more at that decent job of yours.

Put a calendar on the wall, and count down the days... (and remember with every one you cross off that the only reason you have to in the first place is that you borrowed money.)

Be clever, and figure out a way to cut the stress for your wife - who seems to be putting up with all this boat nonsense. (That alone should rate flowers on the regular.)

Spend quality time with her working-on/learning/sailing the boat now.

Pay off your debts and then have a grand adventure, secure in the knowledge that your money is yours and your future belongs to no one.

I mean really... How long would it take for you to be free and clear? A year and a half, two tops? Apply some thought, and you can probably do it in less.
Old 20-07-2010, 22:02   #99
cruiser

Right on there Jallum. "debt free" is the basis of being free. Add that Vancouver or New England resourceful and you own the world. Have multiple skill sets in different industries and you are gold.

Alas - shortcomings though - KP probably could not pay off that student loan in a year or two. My ex-gfriend paid it off in 2 years incredibly, but she lived on a couch. CC is a different story. CC are built for you to fail and should be ridden.

Maybe they can sell some of the west marine gear they don't need and cut it down or dig into some 401k?
Old 20-07-2010, 22:20   #100

Boat: 1984 CS 36
jallum, congratulations on the boat. i'm truly psyched for you that you were able, though hard work and a little luck, score so well. power to you. it sounds like you've got a pragmatic head on your shoulders and seems like it's served you well so far.

but c'mon, man: rationalized escapism and a wife who's "putting up with this boat nonsense"? i recognize at this point that i've brought the criticism on myself for sharing too much, so i can't fault you for giving your advice... but get off the 'holier than thou' horse. i've already told you that the wife's stoked, and escapism hardly applies - i'm not shirking my responsibilities on anything i owe so i hardly think that my choice to leave while still burdened with debt qualifies as any more escapist than any other cruiser's plans. in fact, with the debt burden, i'm more beholden than others might be to return, not escape. so give it up already.

the point's been made already, guys. i get it: you'd pay off your debts before you leave.

fine, fair enough. i've made other choices and, unless you've got some new relevant information, the pedantry is getting a little old.

can we move on?
Old 20-07-2010, 22:26   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This thread has has way too personal postings. We encourage spirited debate of the topic, we do not allow debate of the poster.

Keep it nice, keep the personal stuff out or this one goes away.

Thanks.
Old 20-07-2010, 22:33   #102

I think Drew makes some good points (as well as others in this thread). I was thinking about the lack of re-entry funds with kids in mind issue earlier... and if you think BOATS are expensive! You know anybody with kids? Only real difference is you can't (legally) scuttle or sell off kids when the expense exceeds your means.

Anyway, I guess my question for you is... what's your timeline for departure? (sorry if you stated it somewhere in the thread but I missed it.) Why not plan to wrap things up ashore a little sooner and move onto the boat for the last couple of months before you depart? That way you get accustomed to living on it full-time and really figure out where everything goes (fully provisioned being far different than a weekend jaunt) before you take off AND have the added benefit of saving a few shekels over those couple of months. Not sure what you plan to do with all of your furniture, etc. while you are away, but unless it's family heirlooms and/or really difficult to replace... sell it. So much more for the cruising kitty. It is just "stuff" after all. Next, with some frugal money saving measures (mentioned here or elsewhere) you might just be able to cut that CC principal in half before you depart and make it that much more manageable to finish off after your return (not to mention your monthly minimum would be less while you are away). But these are just ideas and I know you weren't looking for advice so much as to compare notes and see what other peoples' situations are. At any rate, I think you have the right mindset in that the time is, in fact, now. Everything else will come together. You (and your wife) are obviously not idiots or you wouldn't have made it past pouring fries at Mickey D's. You'll figure it out and by the time it's time to come back, whenever that turns out to be, you'll have a re-entry plan.

Mark Twain said it more eloquently (of course):

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

As sound as it may seem, I can't say that I agree with the wait a year crowd. That "year" has a way of becoming two and then five and then ten... before you know it you're looking back from your rocking chair wondering what happened. So go. And sooner rather than later. That's my $.02 anyway. Perhaps apply some of the ideas gained from others who have done it because reinventing the wheel at every turn is flat out stupid, but your experience and situation are uniquely your own. Go with your gut.

Fair winds...
Old 20-07-2010, 23:24   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
but c'mon, man: rationalized escapism
Umm.. Yeah. Escapism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
a wife who's "putting up with this boat nonsense"?
You're kidding, right? Most of the boys that frequent this joint would be so lucky to have a wife that's as tolerant - not to mention eager - as yours seems to be. Mine barely puts up with boat nonsense at times... and ours is a palace.

Quote:
i recognize at this point that i've brought the criticism on myself for sharing too much, so i can't fault you for giving your advice... but get off the 'holier than thou' horse.
I don't think I'm better than you, or anyone else for that matter. I do think that there are perhaps better decisions to be made here, and hope springs eternal.

Quote:
i've already told you that the wife's stoked, and escapism hardly applies - i'm not shirking my responsibilities on anything i owe so i hardly think that my choice to leave while still burdened with debt qualifies as any more escapist than any other cruiser's plans. in fact, with the debt burden, i'm more beholden than others might be to return, not escape. so give it up already.
Escape != Escapism.

Nobody here has suggested that you don't intend to honor your debts - that would be rude in the extreme. Some, including myself, have merely questioned the wisdom of not executing your debts more quickly, given that you appear to have (relatively) easy means.
Old 20-07-2010, 23:57   #104

By the way... you might check out this thread...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nth-40051.html

It's all about choices and what you want to do, but considering the majority of the rest of the world lives on a minuscule fraction of what we are accustomed to as Westerners, your budget doesn't seem far-fetched so long as you don't expect to be eating steak and lobster on a regular basis with French wine, etc.
Old 21-07-2010, 00:05   #105

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
What buttons are getting pushed?

I can't get over that in less than a half day we have over 100 posts here. I would love to know what's gotten everyone so riled up.

Money is such a powerful subject ... could it be the "rich people" phrase? Is it guilt, envy, resentment, arrogance, ..?

Give it some thought.